US Politics: Get Tested or Get Bested

Tywin Manderly

19 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

It's okay, I took a huge bong rip and my blood pressure is almost back to normal.

Been, debating whether or not to clean mine out and go outside with it. Stinks the house up too much, and homeboy and his GF are making a turkey with mashed potatoes. 

Regarding masks, am I a bad person for telling my mom to give me some from her office since its closed anyways? 

44 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Is he saying the fucking state of New York is selling masks on the fucking black market??

The Florida papers are screaming this in banner headlines -- all medical supplies diverted to NY!

7 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Seems like we're about to be broken up into 50 nation-states anyway.  I would rather live under Lord Newsom or Lord Cuomo than Lord Abbott or Lord DeSantis.  

I don't have any good nearby options. Lady Lujan Grisham, or Lord Polis may perhaps take me as a refugee in their realms.

32 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Seems like we're about to be broken up into 50 nation-states anyway.  I would rather live under Lord Newsom or Lord Cuomo than Lord Abbott or Lord DeSantis.  

We need to establish 8-10 Lords Paramount like Martin did, 50 is way too much.  Could go by the Circuit Courts' geographic boundaries, it's basically 11.

20 minutes ago, Triskele said:

The Lord of Rhode Island seems to not quite get at this stage then that they're just Lord Corbray and Cuomo is Lord Arryn.  

I'd argue Rhode Island is more akin to the Sisters in term of its relationship to the Vale, or Arryns.  Roger Williams was weird, as are the Sunderlands et al.

On 3/28/2020 at 2:46 PM, mcbigski said:

All that aside Jace, it's illuminating to see you take sexual assault so not seriously when it's potentially your guy as the accused.  

You know what the difference between you and me is? 

I'm not scared. 

Is this for real?

The worker said his company emailed a form titled “Employee Acknowledgement of ‘Government Assistance’ Pay Reduction” to some staffers on Wednesday. “In response to the economic crisis that is affecting all of us due to the coronavirus pandemic…(company name redacted) are hereby enacting the Employee Emergency Compensation Fund,” the letter stated.

The agreement would put workers under a “temporary compensation reduction that is in line with the assistance that it receives from the federal government related to the COVID-19 pandemic.” By signing the agreement, the company’s employees would have their paychecks between April 6 and April 20 cut by 100% of any money received under the stimulus bill.

The company would also take half of the $500 stipend allotted for dependents under the bill.

It sounds too outrageous to be real, but given that there are many companies in the US, I suppose it's not impossible that at least one of them would have had this idea.

On 3/28/2020 at 6:04 PM, ThinkerX said:

I hope this is for real, but the some of the same bullshit sensors that started going off with Theranos are sounding again. I don't think even Polymerase Chain Reaction is that fast, and that's probably the quickest method I know of for rapid identification of virus and and other microbio organisms. A tech article about it explictly says it doesn't use PCR, and a quick look at their website is turning up very little hard technical information about the method of testing or other technical reference documents, or really anything about how the testing works and what the method is.

I hope this isn't bullshit and taking advantage of an emergency to rush a product to market and profit from it. Especially since this same company got in trouble in 2012 by doing illegal drug marketing with Depakote.

7 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I hope this is for real, but the some of the same bullshit sensors that started going off with Theranos are sounding again. I don't think even Polymerase Chain Reaction is that fast, and that's probably the quickest method I know of for rapid identification of virus and and other microbio organisms. A tech article about it explictly says it doesn't use PCR, and a quick look at their website is turning up very little hard technical information about the method of testing or other technical reference documents, or really anything about how the testing works and what the method is.

I hope this isn't bullshit and taking advantage of an emergency to rush a product to market and profit from it. Especially since this same company got in trouble in 2012 by doing illegal drug marketing with Depakote.

It's real.  The technology is called isothermal amplification (of which there are quite a few different methods), and was developed by Alere, which was acquired by Abbott, a reputable medical device and pharma company.  The method still amplifies DNA, but it doesn't require the thermal cycling steps which take a lot of time.  Abbott uses a nicking enzyme amplification reaction that creates a nick in the DNA and uses a strand displacing polymerase to amplify the target sequence.  See this presentation from Alere about its technology.

So, for anyone hoping this will be over sooner rather than later, you you might want to check some of the Christians out there.

Church services in Florida and Louisiana drew hundreds of worshipers despite bans on public gatherings amid the coronavirus pandemic.

About 500 people attended Sunday services in the Life Tabernacle church near Baton Rouge a day after New Orleans police officers dispersed a “funeral repast” of approximately 100 people, The Associated Press reported. Worshippers and assistant ministers told reporters present at the service to leave, the AP noted.

Meanwhile, a livestream from The River at Tampa Bay Church indicated the Florida church’s Sunday service was also teeming with worshippers.

Can't let things like a deadly viral pandemic get in the way of fleecing people out of their money, natch.

43 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

So, for anyone hoping this will be over sooner rather than later, you you might want to check some of the Christians out there.

Can't let things like a deadly viral pandemic get in the way of fleecing people out of their money, natch.

One should point out that this is not typical even of very conservative churches. I just checked and at this point both Thomas Road Baptist in Lynchburg, Virginia (Jerry Falwell's church) and Lakewood Church in Houston (Joel Osteen's church) are only having online services. 

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

One should point out that this is not typical even of very conservative churches. I just checked and at this point both Thomas Road Baptist in Lynchburg, Virginia (Jerry Falwell's church) and Lakewood Church in Houston (Joel Osteen's church) are only having online services. 

True. I should add that wasn't a shot at Christians generally, but just the groups like this.

However, I will say that while Thomas Road Baptist may be holding online services, Liberty University is very much open for business (NYT - limited clicks).

So Mr. Falwell — a staunch ally of President Trump and an influential voice in the evangelical world — reopened the university last week, igniting a firestorm. As of Friday, Dr. Eppes said, nearly a dozen Liberty students were sick with symptoms that suggested Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus. Three were referred to local hospital centers for testing. An additional eight were told to self-isolate.

13 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

True. I should add that wasn't a shot at Christians generally, but just the groups like this.

However, I will say that while Thomas Road Baptist may be holding online services, Liberty University is very much open for business (NYT - limited clicks).

Yeah, Jerry Jr. (who heads the university) is way more crazy and evil than his little brother Jonathan, who now heads Thomas Road. 

I was going to respond about Falwell Jr. but @The Great Unwashed beat me to it.  Looking into the story though, here's Liberty University's response to the NYT article.  It's pretty lengthy, but the below graph was particularly amusing to me:

Liberty disputes the number of students with symptoms that the Times reported. Liberty is not aware of any students in its residence halls testing positive for COVID-19 or, in fact, being tested at all, much less any residence hall students having sufficient symptoms of COVID-19 to get tested.

Emphasis mine.  To the bolded, so, within your justification for resuming courses and therefore threatening your students' lives, you admit you have no idea how many may be infected.  Nice.  Falwell Sr. memorably died on my 22nd birthday.  I'm already going to hell, but I was very happy that day and celebrated my birthday much more emphatically than usual.  I had no idea his eldest would continue to perpetuate the social harm he inflicted on this country.

Looks like Trump's approval rating wont keep going up and appears to have plateaued. Interestingly, Rassmussen isnt showing net positives for him (and YouGov was taking constant polls that appears to have driven the 538 average the most). I imagine it will revert back to the 43% level soon.

Democrats have a generic 7.5 point lead in Congress and the Senate outlook is promising, so I think it wont be a runaway for the Republicans, at the very least,

Archived