US Politics: Get Tested or Get Bested

Tywin Manderly

Anyways dude, I'm tired, tomorrow is the end of month, departments need to report all revenue and then my best guess is we'll be furloughed soon. And I can't even work with the patients. I'm done for the night man, stay safe.

57 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They can do something similar, bait and switch the name, and get a lot of liberal support.

No, they can't.  The American Voter may be stupid, but "liberally" inclined voters aren't going to all of a sudden change their intensely negative opinions of Trump just because he coopts one of their policy preferences.  He knows that, the Dems know that, you seem to be the only one that doesn't know that.  

And when it comes to health care what has history shown?  A reform that emanated from the Heritage Foundation became Romneycare which became Obamacare which became racialized and vehemently opposed by the same people you're talking about - to the extent they pointlessly voted to repeal it like..64 times last time I checked.  The trajectory of healthcare policy is diametrically opposed to what you're suggesting.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

No, they can't.  The American Voter may be stupid, but "liberally" inclined voters aren't going to all of a sudden change their intensely negative opinions of Trump just because he coopts one of their policy preferences.  He knows that, the Dems know that, you seem to be the only one that doesn't know that.  

And when it comes to health care what has history shown?  A reform that emanated from the Heritage Foundation became Romneycare which became Obamacare which became racialized and vehemently opposed by the same people you're talking about - to the extent they pointlessly voted to repeal it like..64 times last time I checked.  The trajectory of healthcare policy is diametrically opposed to what you're suggesting.

It is, but irrational times can produce irrational outcomes. Like I said before, what I was describing isn't a likely outcome, but it is more plausible than at any other time, and during a pandemic, free healthcare for everyone has appeals.

And sorry, I should have been more careful with my language. Replace "liberal" with "Sanders supporter who loves M4A, but isn't a loyal Democrat." 

12 hours ago, Kalbear said:

This was a lie. He has a tell - any time he's telling a story and the guy says 'sir' to him, he's entirely making it up. 

I always figured a tell for him lying was his mouth moving. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It is, but irrational times can produce irrational outcomes. Like I said before, what I was describing isn't a likely outcome, but it is more plausible than at any other time, and during a pandemic, free healthcare for everyone has appeals.

And sorry, I should have been more careful with my language. Replace "liberal" with "Sanders supporter who loves M4A, but isn't a loyal Democrat." 

I'm not sure how likely the 30% unemployment scenario is but I otherwise agree with you. If we hit 30% unemployment and don't have a quick recovery once the lockdowns end, anything could happen, for good or ill. That's Great Depression territory and we'd probably be looking at a Great Depression level wipeout for the Republican Party. Or the start of the Trump dictatorship. In any case, we'd be well outside of normal electoral politics so we'd do well to show some humility instead of making declarations about what can't possibly happen. 

I really don't want to belittle the idea of 100k dead, but is that realistic?  Did 45 botch things just that bad?  Or when things recover and it's less than 10k (and to be clear, one is too many, this whole thing was botched terribly), he can claim he saved tens of thousands as some sort of ploy?  

Gods I hate even thinking that.  My sister is a nurse and I have zero idea how she is right now.  

The reason he went with that number now is that it is among the lowest realistic numbers. Also the reason he "suddenly" became aware of the 1,6 - 2,2 million worst case scenario. 

He's trying to reframe everything so that he'll continue to look good in his own eyes. Changing the story.

2 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I really don't want to belittle the idea of 100k dead, but is that realistic?  Did 45 botch things just that bad?  Or when things recover and it's less than 10k (and to be clear, one is too many, this whole thing was botched terribly), he can claim he saved tens of thousands as some sort of ploy?  

Gods I hate even thinking that.  My sister is a nurse and I have zero idea how she is right now.   

Less than 10k is looking extremely unlikely, since deaths are a lagging indicator and cases are still rising every day.  Under 100k is definitely still possible if the US gets its act together, but Trump is just trying to manage expectations, because that's all he has.  His response has been atrocious, and his go to approach of asserting dominance over governors, congress and the media isn't sustainable, because in a crisis people want their government to actually work. 

FYI, Trump's tiny bounce in the polls the past two weeks is disheartening, but I'm not terribly worried about it.  Looks like classic rally around the flag, and essentially every single governor in America got a bigger bump than Trump, because people can see that the governors are actually doing something to help people, whereas Trump is just assigning blame.  If the Democrats hadn't picked such a weak candidate, I would be feeling downright confident (in the election, not in the next 6 months, which will be terrible). 

46 minutes ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

I'm not sure how likely the 30% unemployment scenario is but I otherwise agree with you. If we hit 30% unemployment and don't have a quick recovery once the lockdowns end, anything could happen, for good or ill. That's Great Depression territory and we'd probably be looking at a Great Depression level wipeout for the Republican Party. Or the start of the Trump dictatorship. In any case, we'd be well outside of normal electoral politics so we'd do well to show some humility instead of making declarations about what can't possibly happen. 

Two weeks ago I speculated on the possibility of supply chains being cut, and was widely dismissed. Now it's something you see being regularly talked about on the news. And that makes me happy, because people are finally thinking about it. Now to be clear, there is plenty of food, but foodies like me are going to have to accept less organic skinless chicken breasts and more dinosaur chicken nuggets, but that's life.

Speaking more broadly though, we need to accept that we have no idea what's going to happen. It's been a century since we've seen something like this, and the world is so different today, both in positive and negative ways. 

14 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

The reason he went with that number now is that it is among the lowest realistic numbers. Also the reason he "suddenly" became aware of the 1,6 - 2,2 million worst case scenario. 

He's trying to reframe everything so that he'll continue to look good in his own eyes. Changing the story.

We currently have a 1.5% fatality rate with massive under counting on all fronts. Assuming that rate holds, and the estimates of 70-150 million are accurate, yeah, 100k would really be an amazing achievement. 

ETA: Dr Birx said yesterday that it will be 200,00 if we do everything perfectly. 

I can’t see the number being below 10,000. You could see 10,000 in Florida alone. The governor has done very little to stop spread in the state. The televised stories showing the state police stopping traffic at Florida's borders looked pro-active, if you’re an idiot, but that barn was empty a long time ago.

I understand, it’s hot, and there’s a beach. We had a few hours of sunshine on Sunday and there were way too many people out walking, so I can see a lockdown’s going to be hard to do in Florida. Money has won out over health, though.

I have been watching the plight of the poor people on the Holland of America cruise ship. The Florida governor wants to refuse to allow them to dock. The ship is full of elderly Americans, and Florida is the center of the cruise ship industry. Florida will never get one bloody cent from me again as long as I live if that shithead gets away with that crime.

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I can’t see the number being below 10,000. You could see 10,000 in Florida alone. The governor has done very little to stop spread in the state. The televised stories showing the state police stopping traffic at Florida's borders looked pro-active, if you’re an idiot, but that barn was empty a long time ago.

I understand, it’s hot, and there’s a beach. We had a few hours of sunshine on Sunday and there were way too many people out walking, so I can see a lockdown’s going to be hard to do in Florida. Money has won out over health, though.

I have been watching the plight of the poor people on the Holland of America cruise ship. The Florida governor wants to refuse to allow them to dock. The ship is full of elderly Americans, and Florida is the center of the cruise ship industry. Florida will never get one bloody cent from me again as long as I live if that shithead gets away with that crime.

Eh, less that than a lifestyle won out, and parts of Florida have very unique ones. Me thinks you've seen very different parts of that state than myself. I'm curious how many people caught the rona from doing blow on shared surfaces. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, less that than a lifestyle won out, and parts of Florida have very unique ones. Me thinks you've seen very different parts of that state than myself. I'm curious how many people caught the rona from doing blow on shared surfaces. 

Please do not use that word, like that jerk in the Covid-19 thread. 

39 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Two weeks ago I speculated on the possibility of supply chains being cut, and was widely dismissed. Now it's something you see being regularly talked about on the news. And that makes me happy, because people are finally thinking about it.

Be honest, you'd be happy to watch all of us starve if it meant you could say you were right. :P

Archived