US Politics: Get Tested or Get Bested

Tywin Manderly

9 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Trump hanging himself is nice.

But still Joe has me concerned whether he's up to taking out the orange slob. He doesn't have to divisive, just "Comou"esque?

Oh Fuck it who are we kidding, millions of Democrats are thinking they wish the Governor of NY would get the nomination. Listen to the 2 of them and tell me Joe's a better leader, christ he needs an adrenaline shot. 

Have you listened to his podcast? It's pretty awesome. 

https://joebiden.com/Heres-The-Deal/

I guess he could probably do more, but there is a limit both financially and politically in what he can actually do. 

5 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Trump hanging himself is nice.

But still Joe has me concerned whether he's up to taking out the orange slob. He doesn't have to divisive, just "Comou"esque?

Oh Fuck it who are we kidding, millions of Democrats are thinking they wish the Governor of NY would get the nomination. Listen to the 2 of them and tell me Joe's a better leader, christ he needs an adrenaline shot. 

3 weeks ago Cuomo was widely seen as a Republican who wanted to be governor of a blue state. 

9 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

3 weeks ago Cuomo was widely seen as a Republican who wanted to be governor of a blue state. 

I haven't studied his record, but he comes from a pretty awesome family, Mario was an outstanding Democrat.

34 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I guess he could probably do more, but there is a limit both financially and politically in what he can actually do. 

He’s being drowned out by pandemic news.

I think giving Trump the rope to hang himself is ok.

1 hour ago, Week said:

Of COURSE it isn't a true attempt, Charlie Brown. There are two options - profit or smoke and mirrors. Lining the pockets of his businesses and his cronies' or lies to get good media. It's been almost four years of this. 

Don't be so pessimistic. The mythical infrastructure week shall never die!

But also, the fact that he's even talking about phase 4 is a good thing. Pelosi was talking about it yesterday and McCarthy was suggesting that maybe phase 4 wouldn't even be needed. Also, phase 3 really did end up being about as good a bill as it could've been under the circumstances. Phase 4 could too. And if its not, Democrats will block it; just like they did the last time infrastructure week was really attempted.

It's not needed right now, $2 trillion in phase 3 really is a lot; but in a few months it will be.

4 hours ago, sologdin said:

classic rally around the flag

this is the best evidence for turning half the country into a re-education camp.  FFS. the irrationality of being persuaded by trauma to become more compliant with fiction not readily measurable.  

To be fair, polling on voting intentions basically didn't budge. Being favorable of Trump's performance seems to be a proxy for being optimistic about the outcome of the crisis, but it doesn't mean people were any more or less likely to vote for him than they already were.

59 minutes ago, Fez said:

Don't be so pessimistic. The mythical infrastructure week shall never die!

But also, the fact that he's even talking about phase 4 is a good thing. Pelosi was talking about it yesterday and McCarthy was suggesting that maybe phase 4 wouldn't even be needed. Also, phase 3 really did end up being about as good a bill as it could've been under the circumstances. Phase 4 could too. And if its not, Democrats will block it; just like they did the last time infrastructure week was really attempted.

It's not needed right now, $2 trillion in phase 3 really is a lot; but in a few months it will be.

It's a great idea.....in maybe a year from now, but what would even be the point if we don't know when we can send people out to produce the supplies to build and do the work? Plus we need to get an idea of just how bad unemployment is so we could use it as a giant jobs program. I do agree that positive talks on phase four are a good thing, because we'll need several more phases afterwards, but this is probably just a waste of time at the moment. 

28 minutes ago, Ran said:

To be fair, polling on voting intentions basically didn't budge. Being favorable of Trump's performance seems to be a proxy for being optimistic about the outcome of the crisis, but it doesn't mean people were any more or less likely to vote for him than they already were.

Assuming you're right here, I wouldn't really worry about the polling right now anyways. Who knows if in 60 days people are still in lock down, and as mentioned above, blue states seem to be taking this more seriously, which in turn could cause the damage in red states to be worst per capita. There's way too much up in the air right now to have any idea where we'll be at the end of the summer.

I'm personally curious what the fallout would be if the NFL and college football gets canceled. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's a great idea.....in maybe a year from now, but what would even be the point if we don't know when we can send people out to produce the supplies to build and do the work? Plus we need to get an idea of just how bad unemployment is so we could use it as a giant jobs program. I do agree that positive talks on phase four are a good thing, because we'll need several more phases afterwards, but this is probably just a waste of time at the moment. 

It depends on where things stand in a few months. But even if phase 4 needs to have a large focus on additional direct payments to Americans, it wouldn't be a bad thing to start adding in the recovery funding. There are very few actual "shovel-ready" infrastructure projects, most require many months of planning and prep work before they can get started. If the funding can start getting seeded in a phase 4, a lot of that of prep work can get started now; since it mostly involves people working at computers and a handful of easily socially-distanced engineers and surveyors out in the world.

ETA: And that way, in a year, or whenever everyone can go out again as normal; the projects will in fact be "shovel ready".

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

It depends on where things stand in a few months. But even if phase 4 needs to have a large focus on additional direct payments to Americans, it wouldn't be a bad thing to start adding in the recovery funding. There are very few actual "shovel-ready" infrastructure projects, most require many months of planning and prep work before they can get started. If the funding can start getting seeded in a phase 4, a lot of that of prep work can get started now; since it mostly involves people working at computers and a handful of easily socially-distanced engineers and surveyors out in the world.

ETA: And that way, in a year, or whenever everyone can go out again as normal; the projects will in fact be "shovel ready".

Sure, but I think that would be pretty small scale. I have no idea what the actual costs would be, but I don't think nationwide planning would cost too much respectively. For now, as you said, we just need to keep the money flowing so people can pay their bills and buy food.

Maybe I totally overlooked it, but has there been any specific legislative language to protect people from getting kicked out of their homes/apartments if they fall months behind on their mortgages or rent? 

45 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I am hearing a lot of bullshit about tests in this press conference.

Must be a long one because it's still going. The way he talks about his impeachment is still staggeringly bizarre to me.

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Could someone wake Biden up ?

He is not getting any message out to the general public. 

Where's his leadership, is what the undecided voters are probably wondering?

The Democrats know exactly how to lose--they seem more than happy with it. The Atlantic (limited clicks) released this article suggesting he just needs to show up in "corporeal form" to the Presidential race. Which, I guess, means he could be wheeled out dead, so long as he's there physically. These guys put all their effort into shutting down the progressive movement, and they did it, now they're about to walk into another Presidential loss against one of the biggest morons to ever be charge of anything

Where is Joe Biden? He's just staying alive until November, I guess. Great plan, dems.

2 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

The Democrats know exactly how to lose--they seem more than happy with it. The Atlantic (limited clicks) released this article suggesting he just needs to show up in "corporeal form" to the Presidential race. Which, I guess, means he could be wheeled out dead, so long as he's there physically. These guys put all their effort into shutting down the progressive movement, and they did it, now they're about to walk into another Presidential loss against one of the biggest morons to ever be charge of anything

Where is Joe Biden? He's just staying alive until November, I guess. Great plan, dems.

Scroll back one page.

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Bernie is doing a great job -- at his job as a Senator. He has a platform and responsibilities that require him to be doing what you are asking of private citizen (though presumptive nominee*) Joe Biden.

*https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-primary-forecast/

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

Is Trump dumber than W or Reagan?  The template my whole life has been that a Republican in the executive branch is either bumbling stupid (GWB, Reagan, Quale, Trump, Ford) or diabolically evil (Nixon, Pence, Cheney).  I guess there's also the out of touch elitist (Bush the Elder), but that's not actually the exception that proves the rule except perhaps in the Biden sense of 'literally'.

Not sure if you're a sports fan - would you rather have Trump own your favorite team or Daniel Snyder?  Donald Trump or the guy that used to own the LA Clippers?  Donald Trump or the Wilpons?  (Granted the USFL went under...)

There are plenty of much bigger morons in charge of things great and small.  Don't let your inclination to root for the Dems make you make silly statements.

2 hours ago, Week said:

Scroll back one page.

Bernie is doing a great job -- at his job as a Senator. He has a platform and responsibilities that require him to be doing what you are asking of private citizen (though presumptive nominee*) Joe Biden.

*https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-primary-forecast/

Right. The Democratic presumptive nominee, for whatever reason, has decided to hide out because he's broke. That makes me feel so much better.

18 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Is Trump dumber than W or Reagan?  The template my whole life has been that a Republican in the executive branch is either bumbling stupid (GWB, Reagan, Quale, Trump, Ford) or diabolically evil (Nixon, Pence, Cheney).  I guess there's also the out of touch elitist (Bush the Elder), but that's not actually the exception that proves the rule except perhaps in the Biden sense of 'literally'.

Not sure if you're a sports fan - would you rather have Trump own your favorite team or Daniel Snyder?  Donald Trump or the guy that used to own the LA Clippers?  Donald Trump or the Wilpons?  (Granted the USFL went under...)

There are plenty of much bigger morons in charge of things great and small.  Don't let your inclination to root for the Dems make you make silly statements.

I am not rooting for the Dems. But I sure as fuck am not rooting for Trump. He is absolutely the biggest moron in charge of anything, big or small.

21 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Without choosing........that's about the worst pitch one could make. The joke running around the interwebs is COVID-19 caught Dolan (ETA: NY Knicks owner).

So are you basically arguing it's okay to have an evil, terrible, rotten person run the country? 

New lows, bro.

Double ETA:

I'd probably prefer Synder over Trump. Not a lot of grey area, but one sorta pays his bills.

I'd probably also take Stearling. If not for the fact that they're the both kind of awful, but he's a bit smarter. He was actually branded as the "Donald Trump of the West" for a while, so, push at best for you.

The Wilpons appear to be Trump clones too. 

Why do you want any of these clowns to run multi-billion dollar businesses, let alone the federal government? The fact that you can compare our president to these shit heads just shows the depths of which you will support.

13 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Right. The Democratic presumptive nominee, for whatever reason, has decided to hide out because he's broke. That makes me feel so much better.

Not what was said or is the case, but ok. You do you bro. 

PS - Bernie lost his ass to the "broke" presumptive nominee. I agree with you that I would support Bernie long before Biden...doesn't it make you think though? It's like losing a fight to a toddler and then pretending that you're tough.

20 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Honestly, why do you write things like this? You are trying to get a PhD, no? 

Archived