US Politics: Get Tested or Get Bested

Tywin Manderly

New poll outta Wisconsin from Marquette : Biden 62, Sanders 34 (in 2016 Sanders beat Clinton 56-43). Although, somewhat crazily, Wisconsin has not postponed their primary the way most other states have, so who knows what turnout next week will actually look like. Or whether all polling locations that are supposed to be open actually are.

For November, they have Biden 48, Trump 45; which is an improvement from February when they found a 46-46 tie. That Biden lead is despite them finding that voters approving 51-46 of Trump's handling of Covid-19. Though, by comparison, approval of Governor Evers' (D) handling is 76-17; so another example of a governor getting a much larger rally-around-the-flag boost.

https://law.marquette.edu/poll/2020/04/01/new-marquette-law-school-poll-finds-strong-support-for-coronavirus-closings-even-as-it-shows-substantial-economic-impact/

31 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

a lot of that is because the media isn't airing it, because they're kinda involved in this whole coronavirus thingy

But the media is indeed talking the campaign, the primaries, the election.  The words missing in all this talk and print is "Biden," -- except to inform us that to say tRumphasbloodonhishands is 'too harsh.'  Cuomo, who is showing leadership, gets coverage.   Biden's not demonstrating leadership, which is why he's not getting coverage. 

If some of you think he's on tv and twitter -- I don't do either, like a whole lot of other people.  People forward me twitter stuff, but I don't go looking for it.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

New poll outta Wisconsin from Marquette : Biden 62, Sanders 34 (in 2016 Sanders beat Clinton 56-43). Although, somewhat crazily, Wisconsin has not postponed their primary the way most other states have, so who knows what turnout next week will actually look like. Or whether all polling locations that are supposed to be open actually are.

For November, they have Biden 48, Trump 45; which is an improvement from February when they found a 46-46 tie. That Biden lead is despite them finding that voters approving 51-46 of Trump's handling of Covid-19. Though, by comparison, approval of Governor Evers' (D) handling is 76-17; so another example of a governor getting a much larger rally-around-the-flag boost.

https://law.marquette.edu/poll/2020/04/01/new-marquette-law-school-poll-finds-strong-support-for-coronavirus-closings-even-as-it-shows-substantial-economic-impact/

God bless you, Fez. Caution unbounded is an indulgence, but your news is well appreciated.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

But the media is indeed talking the campaign, the primaries, the election.  The words missing in all this talk and print is "Biden," -- except to inform us that to say tRumphasbloodonhishands is 'too harsh.'  Cuomo, who is showing leadership, gets coverage.   Biden's not demonstrating leadership, which is why he's not getting coverage. 

Again, I think this is entirely the media you're consuming and not the actual media writ large. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Again, I think this is entirely the media you're consuming and not the actual media writ large. 

Media is as media does, which is why there has to be a lot of media.  He's not there because he's not showing leadership.  You all are quoting polls and all kinds of information and speculation about the primaries and the elections.  None of you are quoting or linking to anything he's said or done.  Really? you think the NY Times and the WaPo aren't the actual media? That NPR isn't the actual media?

Or do you believe on fb is the actual media?  If so, what's he doing there that isn't getting reported? On twitter? On, what? well, he did go on the talk shows on Sunday and was a disaster when not a ho hum

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Displays a shocking level of self-obsession. 'If I'm not seeing it, it must not exist!'

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Displays a shocking level of self-obsession. 'If I'm not seeing it, it must not exist!'

Where you and kalbear seeing all this great coverage of joe's leadership?

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Media is as media does, which is why there has to be a lot of media.  He's not there because he's not showing leadership.  You all are quoting polls and all kinds of information and speculation about the primaries and the elections.  None of you are quoting or linking to anything he's said or done.

I literally linked to what he's doing, Week linked to his speech. 

As to not showing leadership, again - what does he have to say right now that is more important than Cuomo? Cuomo is the leader of a state that has the worst outbreak in the nation on every single level, and has both the authority and responsibility to do something about it. Biden has absolutely no existing political office right now, no power to do anything, and can at best amplify others - which is what he is doing. 

A podcast speech?  That's not media.  That's not reaching anybody but tru believers, who are few. Especially if they don't even know about that podcast you all keep flogging.  How are people supposed to know about that podcast if they don't know about it?

This is how over and over and over Dem establishment loses elections.

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

A podcast speech?  That's not media.  That's not reaching anybody but tru believers, who are few. Especially if they don't even know about that podcast you all keep flogging.  How are people supposed to know about that podcast if they don't know about it?

This is how over and over and over Dem establishment loses elections.

Wait, so now that the Biden rigged media (which was why 'Dem Establishment' loses elections last month) has got a new shiny to play with, thereby displaying their true incentive which is to chase or create conflict, Biden and the 'Dem Establishment' are at fault for not controlling that media apparatus that they never controlled?

I couldn't come up with a line of complaint that stupid if my brain was on fire.

1 hour ago, Week said:

What level of confidence? Where do I say that Biden winning the nomination means that he must be the strongest candidate one could run in a general election? I specifically said that I would prefer Bernie, so this line of argument is quite a head-scratcher.

PS - Bernie lost his ass to the "broke" presumptive nominee. I agree with you that I would support Bernie long before Biden...doesn't it make you think though? It's like losing a fight to a toddler and then pretending that you're tough.

Think about what? That Biden is a better candidate because he was able to win field that's much more coddled?  

This seems to imply that the mere fact Biden won the nomination, that one should think he's the better candidate. It doesn't.  

1 hour ago, Week said:

How does Bernie losing the nomination to a weaker candidate make him a stronger candidate? Even in his wins he only broke 40% in North Dakota and Vermont (also >40% delegates in Nevada's (undemocratic) caucus.

I didn't imply it did. 

1 hour ago, Week said:

Once again, Biden is out there. What specifically would you like him to be doing? Run ADDITIONAL counter-programming the the Trump news conferences?

That’s not bad. So long as he’s staying relevant in the voter’s consciousness sure.

1 hour ago, Week said:

This is a time where accurate, timely information is critical -- Trump hammering nails into his own coffin in front of the nation.

God, I kept hearing something to the tune that in 2016. With regards to Hillary who lost largely because of a lack enthusiasm to vote for her, despite running against her extremely unpopular opposition.

Relying on mere hatred/dislike of Trump to win the day doesn’t seem to be an effective tactic.

1 hour ago, Week said:

I'm pretty excited to vote for any Democrat and will be even moreso after Trump's America lost 100-200k lives due to their incompetence and dishonesty.

Yes, but the election isn’t just down to democrats whose main concern is getting rid of Trump, and who’d get especially excited by that mere prospect.

1 hour ago, Week said:

All pro-democrat (of any candidate) and anti-Trump messaging should be geared toward ANY democrat running in November. Continued anti-Biden messaging does jack shit for Bernie and only serves to support Trump. Great, continue to support your candidate -- I hope it leads to greater control over the party's platform -- enough with anti-Biden sentiments.

The idea that offering any criticism in how Biden is running his campaign by itself is giving off  “anti-Biden sentiments” or “anti-Biden messaging.” 
is absurd.  If the man decided to douse himself in gasoline, and take out a burning cigarette, you’re doing him no favors by giving him a thumbs up. 

48 minutes ago, Fez said:

Bruh, it's Wisconsin. Think of it as the WV of the Midwest. 

Joe Biden is giving television interviews - he was on Meet the Press on Sunday, he was on MSNBC on Monday, he was on CNN on Tuesday.  He has a podcast.  He is regularly making statements which are criticisms of Trump and how his WH would be handling the crisis better.  I don't really know what else he can do to "get his message out", and I'm sure there are plenty of creative people working for him trying to cook things up.  The problem is that he's on the sidelines, and nothing he can do/say is really "newsworthy" (unless he makes a terrible gaffe or something). 

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Joe Biden is giving television interviews - he was on Meet the Press on Sunday, he was on MSNBC on Monday, he was on CNN on Tuesday.  He has a podcast.  He is regularly making statements which are criticisms of Trump and how his WH would be handling the crisis better.  I don't really know what else he can do to "get his message out", and I'm sure there are plenty of creative people working for him trying to cook things up.  The problem is that he's on the sidelines, and nothing he can do/say is really "newsworthy" (unless he makes a terrible gaffe or something). 

It's almost like these people need to continuously lash out and they can't be made happy under really any circumstance. Almost like they're destined to be unhappy because they contextualize their lives based on how unhappy they are.

Just a theory.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I quite enjoyed Williamsburg at the end of the summer. I’d move there in a heartbeat if I could, and stumbling on to NYU’s campus made me regret not trying to go there for undergrad.

Your city’s pizza isn’t anything special though. You can get the same stuff in the Midwest.

Did you go to Di Fara? I really can't imagine you can find any pizza as good as that anywhere else.

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Have you ever met a Jewish man who couldn't grow a beard?  

Jared Kushner?

And for you, I've got only three words.

Check and mate.

(ok, I ripped that one off from Siegbert Tarrasch, but it'd probably be obscure enough to go unnoticed).

Archived