US Politics: Get Tested or Get Bested

Tywin Manderly

23 minutes ago, sologdin said:

classic rally around the flag

this is the best evidence for turning half the country into a re-education camp.  FFS. the irrationality of being persuaded by trauma to become more compliant with fiction not readily measurable.  

May I recommend one of those Disney Cruise Ships for that purpose.

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

The reason he went with that number now is that it is among the lowest realistic numbers. Also the reason he "suddenly" became aware of the 1,6 - 2,2 million worst case scenario. 

He's trying to reframe everything so that he'll continue to look good in his own eyes. Changing the story.

Yep, was just coming here to post that. He's been convinced that there are going to be a lot of deaths, so, he went from "15 cases, soon to be zero", to "it'll be a huge triumph of my administration if we manage to keep deaths at 100,000".

Then, when or if, we hit each "milestone", the numbers will be adjusted upwards accordingly so he can claim victory each time.

So as of this morning, 23/24 states with Democratic governors are under stay-at-home orders, whereas only 11/26 states with Republican governors are under them.

Speaks volumes about how political affiliation is still impacting how people are responding to a fucking virus.

Also, anyone know what's up with Maine? They're the Democratic outlier.

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

So as of this morning, 23/24 states with Democratic governors are under stay-at-home orders, whereas only 11/26 states with Republican governors are under them.

Speaks volumes about how political affiliation is still impacting how people are responding to a fucking virus.

Also, anyone know what's up with Maine? They're the Democratic outlier.

To be fair, there's also a strong rural/urban divide (and of course rural states are more likely to have a Republican governor).  States with most of the population living in smaller towns are seeing less spread thus far, and thus stringent measures are not seen as "necessary".  Maine and Montana are the two most rural states with a Democratic governor, so it's not surprising one of those would be last. 

I know that Abbot in Texas is under pressure to declare a statewide stay-at-home order by the mayors of Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc, but is resisting it because he doesn't think it is necessary in more rural areas that make up his political base.  But he's going to have to give in soon, Dallas especially is getting pretty close to meltdown. 

EDIT:  I spoke with one of my friends who is a doctor in Maine a week ago, and he said that as of then, Coronavirus was a complete nonfactor in his hospital.  That actually things were very slow, because people were avoiding the hospital for regular things AND there wasn't yet a rush of COVID cases.  I don't know if that is still true, since the number of confirmed cases have increased from 107 to 275 in the past week. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don’t most Stephen King stories take place in Maine?

Just sayin’…

Spend any time in Maine besides the Portland food scene stuff and it's pretty obvious what a good son of the local sod Mr. King is.

So, the Comfort comes into NY port -- and what happens?

A huge crowd gathers to take photos, video and selfies! WTF??????? Here in the epicenter of the epicenter of the very contagious person-to-person disease these idiots do this.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/crowds-ignore-social-distancing-rules-to-watch-usns-comfort/

Cops standing around said and did nothing until somebody got in contact with de Blasio and screamed bloody murder.  De Blasio contrasted with Cuomo -- gads!  

Nobody, anywhere, is on the page it seems regarding the utter connection between close physical proximity and getting sick.

Also the first, pretty much proven, airborne, as far as it goes, contraction of the disease.  A 60 person choir rehearsal.  Nobody sick or symptomatic.  They rehearsed for two hours, using their entire respiratory system full out.  People got sick all right. 

Paywall, but here it is:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

Local:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/dozens-skagit-county-choir-sick-covid-19-cluster-that-killed-2/PBNO3IJYUZGLJFMBGPI2FWPJJE/

"So now we know, oh hmm, maybe it's transmitted not just by droplets and sneezes or coughs; maybe it's transmitted just by people talking, just by people being around each other,” said Comstock. “And then of course, if you're singing there's more volume to the talking, deep breathing and more volume."

8 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Spend any time in Maine besides the Portland food scene stuff and it's pretty obvious what a good son of the local sod Mr. King is.

Maine is one of the few states in the continental 48 I’ve never been to. In fact off the top of my head I think that NE represents most of the places I haven’t been, assuming just driving through a state counts. Anyways, it’s always struck me from a afar as a weird mash up between MA and some rural Midwestern state.

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

To be fair, there's also a strong rural/urban divide (and of course rural states are more likely to have a Republican governor).  States with most of the population living in smaller towns are seeing less spread thus far, and thus stringent measures are not seen as "necessary".  Maine and Montana are the two most rural states with a Democratic governor, so it's not surprising one of those would be last. 

True. But there are relatively rural other states with Democratic governors. Going by population density, Nevada, New Mexico, Kansas, and Oregon are all more rural than Maine overall, but are all under shelter-at-home orders.And there are quite urban states with Republican governors that are not, and its not just Florida. 

And in fact, controlling for all other variables, states with Republican governors have on average been 2.7 days behind states with Democratic governors on implementing every successive measure of social distancing. https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/coronavirus-trump-war-science-richard-epstein-neil-ferguson.html (paywall'd)

Maine wasn't one of the 13 colonies, per se.  It was part of the territory of Massachusetts, out which earlier, I think, New Hampshire achieved independent status.  Maine is at least as French as it is English.  But though not part of the original 13 colonies, it played an important role in the War for Independence, with some commanding, enterprising leaders too. It was and remains a favored summer 'camp' estate residence for the wealthy, particularly from NYC, since the later 1900's. See: the Bushes.

Created a state in the Compromise of 1820 to balance out the addition of Missouri.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Like I said before, what I was describing isn't a likely outcome, but it is more plausible than at any other time, and during a pandemic, free healthcare for everyone has appeals.

You have a habit of advancing ridiculous arguments then when called on it backing off and shrugging "just saying anythings possible."  No shit anything is possible and no shit the range and likelihood of crazy possibilities increases during times of crisis/upheaval.  Doesn't change the fact it'd be politically stupid for Biden to embrace MFA right now, which was what the discussion was about.

45 minutes ago, DMC said:

You have a habit of advancing ridiculous arguments then when called on it backing off and shrugging "just saying anythings possible."  No shit anything is possible and no shit the range and likelihood of crazy possibilities increases during times of crisis/upheaval.  Doesn't change the fact it'd be politically stupid for Biden to embrace MFA right now, which was what the discussion was about.

Not really. What I have a habit of is gaming out scenarios assuming x, y and z happen beforehand. It was my favorite part of IR. And if you go back and look, in my very first response to you after bring up the 30% unemployment stat, I said specifically that as of now the chances of a change of opinion on M4A is low, and I specifically said that it may be Trump who changes his opinion. I’ve said nothing about Biden, unless I forgot something. And I said a long time ago it was ridiculous to expect his opinion to change except at the margins.

The larger point was what was true a month ago may not be true a month from now. Things are moving way too fast.

7 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Could someone wake Biden up ?

He is not getting any message out to the general public. 

Where's his leadership, is what the undecided voters are probably wondering?

He's a private citizen. What do you want him to do? If Americans wanted Joe Biden to be in charge of this situation they had the chance to write his name in 4 years ago. In these circumstances, where Trump is predictably wrong on every count to increasingly bizarre degrees but continues to accumulate support, it is unwise to appear divisive. Let Trump take the credit, he'll claim it anyway. But this is the last chance to let him hang himself too, and Biden speaking up just gives him another thing to rant about.

My god. That's... that's Infrastructure Week's music!

Seriously though, if this were a true attempt and not just a public-private boondoogle; this would be a very good thing. Even though it would probably help his re-election prospects.

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

My god. That's... that's Infrastructure Week's music!

Seriously though, if this were a true attempt and not just a public-private boondoogle; this would be a very good thing. Even though it would probably help his re-election prospects.

Of COURSE it isn't a true attempt, Charlie Brown. There are two options - profit or smoke and mirrors. Lining the pockets of his businesses and his cronies' or lies to get good media. It's been almost four years of this. 

44 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

He's a private citizen. What do you want him to do? If Americans wanted Joe Biden to be in charge of this situation they had the chance to write his name in 4 years ago. In these circumstances, where Trump is predictably wrong on every count to increasingly bizarre degrees but continues to accumulate support, it is unwise to appear divisive. Let Trump take the credit, he'll claim it anyway. But this is the last chance to let him hang himself too, and Biden speaking up just gives him another thing to rant about.

Trump hanging himself is nice.

But still Joe has me concerned whether he's up to taking out the orange slob. He doesn't have to divisive, just "Comou"esque?

Oh Fuck it who are we kidding, millions of Democrats are thinking they wish the Governor of NY would get the nomination. Listen to the 2 of them and tell me Joe's a better leader, christ he needs an adrenaline shot. 

Archived