Sign in to follow this  
Tywin Manderly

US Politics: Get Tested or Get Bested

Trump is already stating he will ignore key provisions in the relief package.  Lawsuits to follow?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-chips-away-at-congress-role-in-coronavirus-relief-oversight/ar-BB11OyWF?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR1JKVGBJmUgb0UVZ3iMPHL52Td_A8fbIVAUftlEJfQarc3UMapdGkkpnUs

Under the law, the chair of the new committee will be appointed by the leader of longstanding council of federal inspectors general, who in turn is required to discuss the appointment with Pelosi, Schumer, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy.

Trump indicated that he wouldn't stand in the way of voluntary communication with Congress. "But a requirement to consult with the Congress regarding executive decision-making, including with respect to the President's Article II authority to oversee executive branch operations, violates the separation of powers by intruding upon the President's power and duty to supervise the staffing of the executive branch," Trump wrote.

Trump concluded his signing statement by rejecting several provisions in the new law that require the administration to recommend legislation to Congress.

"[M]y Administration will continue the practice of treating provisions like these as advisory and non-binding," he wrote.

11 hours ago, Kalbear said:

So Biden has had an accuser come out and say that he sexually assaulted her in 1993. Which is probably accurate. 

Ok, I have two responses to this.

1. FUCK!

2. How the fuck do the Democrats keep doing this to themselves?

Posted (edited)

So parents who are not paying their child support, won't be able to collect the stimulus checks the gov't is issueing. 

Sounds just to me.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

5 hours ago, ants said:

Ok, I have two responses to this.

1. FUCK!

2. How the fuck do the Democrats keep doing this to themselves?

Well, it sure does fucking suck if its accurate. The thing I wonder about though is that the Obama folks were notoriously rigorous in this vetting processes, and they would've spent ages looking at Biden's past before picking him as VP in 2008. If this is true, how did they miss it?

Posted (edited)

Well looks like the relief bill is getting shittier as we learn more about it.  NY is not qualifying, whatever tf that means, for the $600 weekly unemployment insurance expansion.  Big surprise that this is mostly a corporate bailout.

Nevermind: gf looking at an old link on NY.gov labor site

Edited by larrytheimp

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

Well, it sure does fucking suck if its accurate. The thing I wonder about though is that the Obama folks were notoriously rigorous in this vetting processes, and they would've spent ages looking at Biden's past before picking him as VP in 2008. If this is true, how did they miss it?

Like many other women, she did not come forth until recently after the me too movement really took off.  She worked for Biden as a low level staffer for less than a year over 25 years ago.  I doubt they ever talked to her.

7 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Well looks like the relief bill is getting shittier as we learn more about it.  NY is not qualifying, whatever tf that means, for the $600 weekly unemployment insurance expansion.  Big surprise that this is mostly a corporate bailout.

That's not true. Please double check stuff before posting it.

What New York, and many other states, have not qualified for yet is the Extended Benefits program. This is the funding that let's people collect an additional 13 weeks of UI after their original 26 weeks of UI. New York's unemployment rate isn't high enough yet to trigger the program. It almost certainly will be in 6 months, when the first people laid off from COVID-19 will be running out of UI.

The extra $600 a week is the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program. It's an entirely separate thing from Extended Benefits.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

That's not true. Please double check stuff before posting it.

What New York, and many other states, have not qualified for yet is the Extended Benefits program. This is the funding that let's people collect an additional 13 weeks of UI after their original 26 weeks of UI. New York's unemployment rate isn't high enough yet to trigger the program. It almost certainly will be in 6 months, when the first people laid off from COVID-19 will be running out of UI.

The extra $600 a week is the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program. It's an entirely separate thing from Extended Benefits.

Yeah, I corrected it before you posted.  Was looking at this

https://labor.ny.gov/unemploymentassistance.shtm

Then realized it hasn't been updated since the 26th.

Posted (edited)

Who even uses checks anymore?

Edited by TrueMetis

1 hour ago, Mudguard said:

Like many other women, she did not come forth until recently after the me too movement really took off.  She worked for Biden as a low level staffer for less than a year over 25 years ago.  I doubt they ever talked to her.

That's true. But, as we've seen time and again, if there's one accusation, there's usually many other accusations as well. Biden does have the long history of ignoring personal space. If he went over the line into assault once, I'd think he'd have done it many times. And that there'd be many women; at least one of which the Obama folks would've found out about.

Considering how many judicial nominations get held up (and how many openings were therefore left for Trump to fill) over how slowly and thoroughly the Obama era vetting processes were; it doesn't speak well of them if they missed that Biden has a history of sexual assault.

Not saying its not true. But it does make me a bit leery. Also making me a bit leery is the now-deleted blog post where she's talking about how much she loves Putin. Since he is certainly one to benefit from the Democratic nominee imploding. Obviously it could just be a coincidence, but its an odd data point.

33 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

There are people without bank accounts. There are people who don’t receive any kind of benefit check and have never set it up with the government. The US has 325 M people, that could be millions of people. I could not find any estimate what that number could be.

In any event, the idea that Trump puts his name on those checks is disgusting. What’s he going to do next (because his brain jumps from idea to idea) add his name to US currency? Change the law so he can do it?

59 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Fat taloned BIRDS!?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Fez said:

That's true. But, as we've seen time and again, if there's one accusation, there's usually many other accusations as well. Biden does have the long history of ignoring personal space. If he went over the line into assault once, I'd think he'd have done it many times. And that there'd be many women; at least one of which the Obama folks would've found out about.

Considering how many judicial nominations get held up (and how many openings were therefore left for Trump to fill) over how slowly and thoroughly the Obama era vetting processes were; it doesn't speak well of them if they missed that Biden has a history of sexual assault.

Not saying its not true. But it does make me a bit leery. Also making me a bit leery is the now-deleted blog post where she's talking about how much she loves Putin. Since he is certainly one to benefit from the Democratic nominee imploding. Obviously it could just be a coincidence, but its an odd data point.

I wondered the same about the lack of other accusations of the most serious sexual assault charges.  According to Reade, she claimed he was surprised when she pulled back and that he stated that he thought she wanted it.  He immediately backed off after realizing his mistake.  Reade claimed that she idolized him before the alleged assault.  It's plausible that he misread her interest, and maybe the incident shook him and he never attempted something like that again.  

Edited by Mudguard

1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

Publisher's Clearing House? I could see Trump using government funds during a crisis to hand deliver over-sized checks to people.

On 3/26/2020 at 5:37 PM, ThinkerX said:

tried walking my conservative coworker through the basics of this the morning.

started with the infection rate: 1 person infects 3, those 3 each infect 3 more (up over a dozen total), then the 9 each infect 3 more (27 plus the others), then those 27 each infect three more, making for another eighty new cases, with well over a hundred total.  Then 300...and at that point (I could almost see the little light come on) he goes...'everybody would be infected in a month if that were true.'

Me: it is true (allowing for a bit of rounding and whatnot)

CC: but outside of a couple states, the numbers are nowhere near that bad.

Me: That is because our esteemed president has been playing his own numbers game.  He deliberately cut back on the number of test kits.  The states with the highest numbers are the ones where the governors went around Trumps back (ok, grossly oversimplified, but)

CC: but why?

Me:  Trump wants to make the plague seem less bad than it is.  Limit the number of test kits, he can claim low numbers.  Yesterday, he actually said widespread testing was a bad idea.

CC: He's right.  No way can we test millions of people.   Besides, it'll be over with in a couple of months and we can get the red hot economy pumping again.  

You were so close...then he veered right back to the beginning of the argument.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Mudguard said:

I think Simon posted on this earlier, but it got no response.  It's undeniable that he has a habit of invading women's personal space and making them visibly uncomfortable.  That's been caught on tape on multiple occasions.  My guess is that many Democrats will either ignore or brush this accusation under the rug.  Biden is carrying around a ton of baggage, and despite the stock market collapsing, a disastrous response to the coronavirus pandemic, and a likely recession by the fall, I'm not sure that Biden will win.  It should be a no brainer, but I wouldn't bet money on it.  It's clear that Trump's supporters will excuse anything and will be voting for Trump in the fall.  Will enough Democrats ignore all of Biden's many past failings?  Not sure.

It was strange the silence it received, but I chalked it up to Coronavirus panic. I think this hurts Biden a lot, but even just looking at the post ThinkerX put into this thread about a conversation with a conservative co-worker shows that Trump's base is not faltering. Which is scary as some of his base once voted Democrat. 

In response to some of the posts since the one I quoted, I think more women could be out there but possibly don't come out for a variety of legitimate reasons. I also think its possible a person could do this once and not again. A person who assumed due to their privilege this was all good and fine, and read those clear cues of resistance way later than they should have. Either way, I always wondered how Democrats in general would deal with an accusation if it hit a high profile member (say the Democratic presumptive nominee). Silence so far. It's disturbing. 

Edited by Simon Steele