Videogames: Perfect homies for the great indoors.

Red Tiger

Toth: I completely forgot to mention that my new frontier space for some reason includes an archaeological site. How is that even possible? I don't have Ancient Relics DLC! I'm still curious what to get out of it... My excavating crew is haunted by constant nightmares. Sounds promising!

Just a quick note on this- the Archaeological site system is in the base game.  The Ancient Relics DLC just has a bunch of additional ones that you can find.  That's how you can still choose the "Shoulders of Giants" Origin.  Having fun with the new update myself.

Now that I am stuck indoors, I bent to peer pressure and bought a Switch. Anyone have some recommendations for games I should pick up? I have Mario Kart and will be borrowing Breath of the Wild from a friend. I haven't had a console since... 2002? I am well out of knowledge on modern games. What's an Animal Crossing and why does it show up on my Google News feed? Do people still Pokemon?

31 minutes ago, Lightning Lord said:

Now that I am stuck indoors, I bent to peer pressure and bought a Switch. Anyone have some recommendations for games I should pick up? I have Mario Kart and will be borrowing Breath of the Wild from a friend. I haven't had a console since... 2002? I am well out of knowledge on modern games. What's an Animal Crossing and why does it show up on my Google News feed? Do people still Pokemon?

I think I read that people recently pokemoned.

Animal crossing is a check in each day kinda game where you start as an indentured servant to a racoon and can work your way up to just being his tenant. 

Dark Souls is amazing on any platform. Stardew Valley would be my recommendation if you wanted something like animal crossing. 

Skyrim is also an option if you wanted a fantasy RPG game that is pretty universally loved. 

That's what Animal Crossing is? That sounds miserable. Why is it sixty dollars? To be fair, raccoons can be terrifying. So thematically, it scans.

I might be too casual a gamer for Dark Souls.

I played a lot of Oblivion, but it made me sort of realize I prefer less open-world style. It was good fun, but I think I wanted something pushing me along a little bit more. When I had Starbound, it was a similar feeling of "okay, so what do I do now?"

Dragon Age and Civilization series are more my wheelhouse? I think I would have liked The Witcher series more on a console than on the computer - it was fun, but the controls were a bit odd as I recall.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't posted here in years - the cabin fever is setting in. :)

1 minute ago, Lightning Lord said:

That's what Animal Crossing is? That sounds miserable. Why is it sixty dollars? To be fair, raccoons can be terrifying. So thematically, it scans.

I played a lot of Oblivion, but it made me sort of realize I prefer less open-world style. It was good fun, but I think I wanted something pushing me along a little bit more. When I had Starbound, it was a similar feeling of "okay, so what do I do now?"

Dragon Age and Civilization series are more my wheelhouse? I think I would have liked The Witcher series more on a console than on the computer - it was fun, but the controls were a bit odd as I recall.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't posted here in years - the cabin fever is setting in. :)

You're gonna hate that Zelda game. Enjoy!

Hahaha, yes that is my fear. My friend played a bit of it while I was there and I was...concerned. I read a lot of rave reviews and I dearly love the series. But it might be good that I get to try before I buy. My love of the series is based on SNES and N64.

1 hour ago, Lightning Lord said:

Hahaha, yes that is my fear. My friend played a bit of it while I was there and I was...concerned. I read a lot of rave reviews and I dearly love the series. But it might be good that I get to try before I buy. My love of the series is based on SNES and N64.

Depends on what you like.  I am currently working my way through Octopath Traveler.  It’s by SquareEnix and is basically a brand new JRPG built to look and play like an SNES era RPG.  

Animal Crossing has just enough aspects to it that I don't like that I don't think I'd enjoy the overall package. However, it did put me in the mood to play Stardew Valley again, so I've started on that.

I don't know how long I'll stick with it though; I've been bouncing back and forth between about 8 different games right now. Nothing is really keeping my attention. To some extent I think its the stress from the outside world that hampering my enjoyment. I'm thinking of putting off the Control DLC for now for that reason. I really loved the base game, and don't want to sour that by not liking the DLC because I'm not in the mood to have fun.

15 hours ago, Lightning Lord said:

The series has a reputation for being super hard but it's a little overstated. If you learn from your mistakes and make note of enemy patterns it's not hard. If you really get stuck you can level up a bit and force your way through a section. 

It's also kinda open world, but not really. Way more directed than an elder scrolls game. but the world is all connected in really cool ways. like you'll kill a boss go through a door and end up somewhere you could see from the starting area but couldn't access. Then remember that other path you didn't choose earlier and explore over there. 

On 3/27/2020 at 7:45 AM, Lightning Lord said:

I thought the same thing back in 2018. I've beaten DS1, DS3, Bloodborne, Nioh and Sekiro ever since. Give it a shot and if you need help, lemme know.

Went back to Celeste this week after taking a break for a couple of months because the final chapter was making me crazy, now I'm trying to go at it with a lot more positive self-talk and maybe just experience the whole thing a bit more meditatively. Seems to be working so far - I'm enjoying the game again and I've made some decent progress. When I finally finish it I think I might try for some goldens, I think I might be able to manage most of the A and C sides if I put some practice in :)

Started playing Valkyria Chronicles 4. Was a bit bemused that this is pretty much the same game as Valkyria Chronicles bar the addition of a new class (the Grenadier, who is fun but somewhat overpowered). Not a major problem as Valkyria Chronicles was excellent, but the fourth game in the series being a very mild iteration over the first feels odd (VC2 and 3 being handheld exclusives, and I believe 3 has never even been released in English).

Took a break from Sekiro and moved back to Uncharted 2. I had started it awhile ago but only got about 8 chapters in. Played a few today and super happy I did. Love these fucking games and still have Uncharted 3 to play.

Archived