Videogames: Perfect homies for the great indoors.

Red Tiger

9 hours ago, Mexal said:

Took a break from Sekiro and moved back to Uncharted 2. I had started it awhile ago but only got about 8 chapters in. Played a few today and super happy I did. Love these fucking games and still have Uncharted 3 to play.

One of the most consistly entertaining series out there. I'll probably go back and play the remastered ones.

Hopefully the next gen consoles will have a new one. The last game showed Nathan Drake isn't essential as long as game mechanics and storytelling are same.

2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Anyone have any recommendations for simple high score games? E.g. Minesweeper / Bejewelled / Super Hexagon.

Maybe give Race The Sun a look.

I should note that in my Colonies of Kobol game the game for some reason felt it necessary to have me trigger the Shroud event. I was so focused on other things that I noped the fuck out of that black hole system right away.

1 hour ago, Poobah said:

Do you mean the Horizon Signal event chain? Gotta be my favourite of all time in Stellaris.

Yep. I have heard that this is a really good one, but I must admit I am too focused on figuring out what you can currently do with the Federation and the Galactic Community that I didn't like to commit to this insanity.

6 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

RE3's campaign is about 5 hours long. Still looking forward to it, but a heads up to people who aren't happy with a game that short.

I mean the original isn't much longer and I'm guessing it goes quicker because the movement is smoother. Still this shouldn't be $60, especially considering they got to reuse a lot from the last remake. 

Looks like it does have some kinda asymmetrical multiplayer mode at least. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I mean the original isn't much longer and I'm guessing it goes quicker because the movement is smoother. Still this shouldn't be $60, especially considering they got to reuse a lot from the last remake. 

Looks like it does have some kinda asymmetrical multiplayer mode at least. 

That's kinda my point. The original was about the same playtime, sure, but games were also a lot cheaper then. Now I have no problem with shelling out money for this, as long as those 5 hours are fun, but I can imagine somebody else saying "5 hours for 60 bucks? Nah, im getting Persona or Final Fantasy instead."

I vaguely remembe RE3 getting a lot of stick on release for being a lot shorter than RE2 (I understand the RE2 Remake has gotten some stick for being rather shorter than the original game?), reusing a ton of assets from it and for being quite short for the money. Also, brand new PS1 games were still like £30-40 on release twenty years ago, that was still fairly expensive for a five-hour game unless it was absolutely outstanding.

16 hours ago, Poobah said:

Maybe give Race The Sun a look.

Thanks. Looks good, similar to Super Hexagon. Will wait for it to go on sale.

Its so difficult to find games like this though. I can trawl through the Steam store for an hour and don't find anything I'm remotely interested in. 

7 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Is res2 remake the same length as the original? I guess that's key eg how ling does it take to finish that. 

Some of those "shortest times" feel a bit false to me. Unless you are some gaming prodigy it's unlikely that you take the shortest route throughout and never die, without having played through at least once in which case the playtime is actually "quickest time + average time" or quickest + completist.

If the game is under 10 hours it does feel like it should be a DLC over a new game.  I'll probably wait a few years and buy the digital omnibus of several remakes.

I also think there's a balance between value for money. I'll be honest games claiming to have 100+ hours are off-putting to me irrespective of how good they are because that's a lot of time to sink into something. Sometimes i just want around 2-4 weeks worth of solid entertainment before trying something else. It's probably why i like a lot of naughty dog games.

13 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Is that 5 hours per playthrough per character?

4 hours ago, The Worm's Hole said:

Been playing old school C&C Red Alert to deal with a breakup. When I was a boy I played as the allies, but now life had made me aware of the vile machinations of capitalism, so I'm playing as the Soviets. Yes, I conquer, but it's for people.

Also they have better tanks and allied air units are kinda bullshit.

:commie:

I'm waiting for the Remaster to drop at the start of June. But yeah, the Soviets were by far the stronger side in Red Alert, it wasn't even close. Red Alert 2 did redress the balance, especially with Allied naval units, Prism Tanks and aircraft.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

Is res2 remake the same length as the original? I guess that's key eg how ling does it take to finish that. 

Some of those "shortest times" feel a bit false to me. Unless you are some gaming prodigy it's unlikely that you take the shortest route throughout and never die, without having played through at least once in which case the playtime is actually "quickest time + average time" or quickest + completist.

No, the Res2 Remake is longer, I showed it in the post above that one. https://66.media.tumblr.com/63fb79037e863dfa236362d0c14abf3d/5c31b489bc15a4c9-2e/s1280x1920/84beefb45eb14a8f3d6d19c6d937acc0f30fef99.png

The "shortest times" aren't false, they're a metric for speedrunners. Not your average gamers.

Archived