Videogames: Perfect homies for the great indoors.

Red Tiger

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Is that 5 hours per playthrough per character?

Nah, that is for both characters combined. The game really was that short. 5 1/2 for both combined playthroughs is a pretty normal number, unless you got stuck on puzzles or lost your way.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

No, the Res2 Remake is longer, I showed it in the post above that one. https://66.media.tumblr.com/63fb79037e863dfa236362d0c14abf3d/5c31b489bc15a4c9-2e/s1280x1920/84beefb45eb14a8f3d6d19c6d937acc0f30fef99.png

The "shortest times" aren't false, they're a metric for speedrunners. Not your average gamers.

Beast mode gamers. I'm definitely in the amateur completist category. Good to know that being mediocre means better value for money.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Beast mode gamers. I'm definitely in the amateur completist category. Good to know that being mediocre means better value for money.

Not necessarily the case. I run through games pretty quickly too, but it's not about how long the game is for me, but rather if I had fun.

Persona 5 is very long and I loved it. Nioh 2 is long and im not a big fan so far.

Resident Evil 2 Remake was pretty short and I liked it. Portal was short and not necessarily my cup of tea.

I'll have to see if I like RE3Remake, but 5 hours of good fun are 5 hours well-spent.

16 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Not necessarily the case. I run through games pretty quickly too, but it's not about how long the game is for me, but rather if I had fun.

Persona 5 is very long and I loved it. Nioh 2 is long and im not a big fan so far.

Resident Evil 2 Remake was pretty short and I liked it. Portal was short and not necessarily my cup of tea.

I'll have to see if I like RE3Remake, but 5 hours of good fun are 5 hours well-spent.

I guess only as a cost/time to finish metric. Enjoyment is a harder to quantify variable. I agree i can put 24 hours into an enjoyable game much more easily than 4 hours into one that's not fun.

I think my internal head value for 5 hours of entertainment is around £20 as that's akin to two films. Good thing is these games reduce in price and i have a brother who buys them

I think if a game is an exceptional experience it can be worth it even if it's short: Portal, although it was always pretty cheap even for 5 hours, but Portal 2 as a full-price game at 10 hours was excellent. Max Payne 2 was just about the only action game I've ever played which was worth full price despite only being about 5 hours long, because the action, story and characterisation was all outstanding, and still is; Max Payne 3 was about two and a half times as long, but that didn't help it because it was awful (a rare total misfire from Rockstar there).

Currently playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 which is reportedly about 40 hours long, but they could shave a good 5-7 hours off that time if they didn't have these awkward pauses and you have to manually load the next section of each cut scene. No idea why they still have that, given everyone hated it in the original Valkyria Chronicles.

Ah fuck, I give up. I am now at the last race of the Superkart championship at a knock-off Suzuka in Project Cars and the very last race is at twilight, which for some reason utterly kills my framerate entirely. The race is hard enough as it is (if you do as much as brush the corners you immediately spin out of control), but having to maneuver it through a slideshow makes it intensely frustrating. I have now made about 20 attempts and barely managed to go beyond the first two corners.

15 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Mount and Blade 2 is out (albeit in Early Access) after three centuries in development and is absolutely overladen with bugs, including a brilliant one where you can play as a baby.

I prefer to think of that as an easter egg, because it will always reliably happen if you do one thing (press the R key during character creation). There do some to be a lot of more serious bugs though. I picked it up anyway. Seems fun; but having a hell of a time getting used to the combat.

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

I prefer to think of that as an easter egg, because it will always reliably happen if you do one thing (press the R key during character creation). There do some to be a lot of more serious bugs though. I picked it up anyway. Seems fun; but having a hell of a time getting used to the combat.

Me too. I pretty much developed muscle memory while playing thousands of hours of Warband, and now I got to re-learn how I block and strike. I'm like Jaime, learning to fight with my left hand. :P But the game is quite enjoyable despite the bugs. The only real bad so far is the people's eyes - gives me memories of ME: Andromeda.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think if a game is an exceptional experience it can be worth it even if it's short: Portal, although it was always pretty cheap even for 5 hours, but Portal 2 as a full-price game at 10 hours was excellent. Max Payne 2 was just about the only action game I've ever played which was worth full price despite only being about 5 hours long, because the action, story and characterisation was all outstanding, and still is; Max Payne 3 was about two and a half times as long, but that didn't help it because it was awful (a rare total misfire from Rockstar there).

Currently playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 which is reportedly about 40 hours long, but they could shave a good 5-7 hours off that time if they didn't have these awkward pauses and you have to manually load the next section of each cut scene. No idea why they still have that, given everyone hated it in the original Valkyria Chronicles.

Portal 2 is one of the best games I've ever played.  It's also got some amazing writing.

I've been watching a Half-Life: Alyx playthrough on YouTube since I don't have a VR set-up and I liked seeing that Valve got Rhys Darby to play the Wheatley role, albeit slightly more competent.  Stephen Merchant was so good in Portal 2.

Makes me happy Valve is apparently making games again.  They are pretty damn good at it.

4 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

So, about 5 hours...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4g8wNFPnfM

Damn that's some impressive graphics. I know Capcom's game engine can't handle large number of characters at once, but the level of detail it can provide for the characters that can fit on screen is incredible.

Too bad I won't be playing the game. Not because its short, but because I'm a chicken who can't play survival horror games. I only face unspeakable monstrosities when I have a huge weapon, a lot of one-liners, and a carefree attitude. Plus companions ideally so I'm never alone.

On 3/31/2020 at 7:39 PM, The Worm's Hole said:

Allies still had Tanya though B)

Let's rock! I loved that game growing up - loading through DOS? Oh yeah. I liked playing the scenarios and I almost always picked Ukraine. Years later, I ended up living in Ukraine, so that was a fun coincidence. I just picked up Warcraft II, too, and have been enjoying a simpler time.

In more modern gaming, I grabbed Super Smash Bros and my friend just lent me Breath of the Wild. I have three or four FF games to go through, too. I never had a Playstation, so I missed most of the franchise. Now I have a gunblade, though. So that's fun.

Per suggestions, I am looking into Dark Souls - reading the reviews of the different iterations on Steam is kinda amusing. The reviews for II are gold. I wouldn't need a season pass for these, right? I am not interested in pvp.

Spider-Man is a good game.  I'm about 40% in and I keep thinking it's better than I thought it would be.  I started it a while ago and don't remember why I dropped it.

29 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

Spider-Man is a good game.  I'm about 40% in and I keep thinking it's better than I thought it would be.  I started it a while ago and don't remember why I dropped it.

Even morseso if you're a fan of the character. Basically GTA with spidey in it. I sunk a lot of time into it and wanted to do all the side missions rather than just doing for sake of it. I mean, i even chased pigeons around Manhattan.

4 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

It took a while for the combat to really click for me (was trying to play it too much like the Arkham games I think), but once it did I was just sailing around through the air annihilating fools.  So much fun.

Can't wait for the sequel.

Getting a bad feeling, watching people stream FF7-R online. The combat looks fun, but the dialogue is consistently poor/overwrought (not like the original was great, but it was a text game), I don't really care for the VO, and there seems to be a lot of fetch/kill quests to pad the game out, rather than truly expanding the scope of Midgar or investigating more deeply the themes of corporate power & environmentalism. Maybe it improves later on, but I'm not impressed based on the first 1/2 or so. I was already checked out on the whole project due to splitting the game into multiple entries, but I held hopes that they might actually do something interesting with Midgar, even with Nomura at the helm. We can expect early reactions to be gushing, given the amount of nostalgia and cultural identity baked into this release... but so far, it seems they went the shallow path rather than the deep, in "revisioning" this.

Finally finished the Claire 2nd run part of the Resident Evil 2 remake last night after putting it down months ago. I'll get the third one. I think I'm gonna wait till tomorrow to buy it though, just to avoid the pre-order bonus of one of the Resident Evil movies. 

also what the hell did they do to Carlos's hair? 

15 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Eerk. Last of Us II delayed indefinitely - despite being done - because they can't execute their planned release plan under current conditions.

People now frantically hoping the same thing doesn't happen to Cyberpunk 2077.

Ugh, I have this pre-ordered and was looking forward to playing it across the summer months. It'll probably be released in the fall, perhaps a month or two after Cyberpunk. Tsushima will no-doubt suffer release date reshuffling, to avoid exclusives competing with one another.

Archived