Videogames: Perfect homies for the great indoors.

Red Tiger

3 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Have you played Witcher 3? One of the best open-world fantasy games ever made. I would only rate Morrowind higher and that is probably because of the nostalgia.

Nope. I didn't play much of anything, but around Christmas of 2018 I bought a PS4/RDR2 bundle because I really wanted to play the game. I basically saw it as Westworld meets GTA. 

Honestly I mainly just use it for streaming services and for doing yoga, but it has already paid for itself, even if I don't game much. But now that I've been furloughed, might as well try some shit out. 

2 hours ago, Inigima said:

Mechanically, yes, or more accurately, Pokemon is an extremely stripped down,  take on the genre that FF is a member of, targeted at young kids, since FF and the genre existed long before Pokemon. Pokemon contains all the basic elements of a JRPG -- turn-based combat, magic/skills, enemies with specific weaknesses and immunities, that kind of thing. It's like Babby's First JRPG. FF games are usually longer, have more complex storylines with more serious themes, are typically about saving the world in some way, have characters fighting simultaneously, and have unique characters with their own backstories. But playing one is relatively similar.

You do realize the context of Pokemon is a fallout from a horrific global war and a young kid is idealizing being a slave owner, right? 

FF7

Spoiler

Lol. I've been reading the leaks elsewhere too, and, if their true, I find it beyond hilarious that right to the end Square refused to just give the fans what they wanted. This may be a more interesting game, and I don't hold that much reverence for FF7 (6 and 9 are my babies), but I can't even imagine how angry some people are going to be about all this.

12 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

@kuenjato

I loved FFXII but XIII I have mixed feelings about.

FFXII was the last "good" title, but it suffered a troubled development and SquareEnix rushed it to meet the 2006 release, at the ultimate detriment to the story and characters. By the time I finished, I honestly thought I'd only played around 75% of a fleshed out story. Love the world, though--my first "open world" game, and pretty impressive for the PS2 tech.

FF13 is where the remaining creative from the classic PS1 and PS2 era were able to do whatever they wanted, without filter. 13 is Kitase, Toriyama, and Nomura unrestrained by creative and managorial oversight: a gorgeous-looking mess, overwrought and borderline nonsensical, which is why I've always viewed this project rather warily. Throw in Nojima (writer of FF8) and you have the possibility of complete amazeballs crap-epic convolutions, which is seemingly what we are seeing here.

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Found some time to finally turn on the PS4 so playing Assassins Creed Odyssey, which is open world. Good so far, I like the sea combat for a change of pace. 

I started up Odyssey as my Covid retreat game, and I'm loving it so much more than Origins, even though it has the same game pattern. The combat is more fluid and the world more diverse, and I learned my lesson to just enjoy the scenery and turn off the Hud and not expect Witcher 3 level open world writing. So far I'm completely satisfied, though the game is huge ... I've put in around 40 hours and am only 30% done with the main story.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

FF7

Hide contents

Lol. I've been reading the leaks elsewhere too, and, if their true, I find it beyond hilarious that right to the end Square refused to just give the fans what they wanted. This may be a more interesting game, and I don't hold that much reverence for FF7 (6 and 9 are my babies), but I can't even imagine how angry some people are going to be about all this.

I'm actually much more interested to play it... when it's finally all released, of course.

I mean, I loved FF7 back in the day, but it feels like I grew past Square and most JRPG indulgences a long time ago, and there are so many amazing games out these days. Horizon, Nier Automata, Witcher 3... these are games that give me that narrative rush that Square hasn't really been able to do from around 2001.

5 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Found some time to finally turn on the PS4 so playing Assassins Creed Odyssey, which is open world. Good so far, I like the sea combat for a change of pace. 

I got into the Google streaming beta and got to play that game for free back when it came out.  It was super fun and I played the hell out of it for thirty or forty hours.  I got burnt out and never finished it, probably because I wasted so much goddamn time doing every single side mission I found, but I definitely would have gotten my money's worth if I had paid for it.  

They basically just turned Assassin's Creed into Witcher 3 with functional stealth (strange that it took a series about stealthy assassinations about twelve entries to actually get stealth right, by the way) and simple but fun ship combat and it was a great choice for a franchise that had become incredibly stale.  I'm actually looking forward to the next game, and the last Creed game I played before Odyssey was the pirate one, I think, so I had essentially tapped out on the series.

The FF7R news sounds bonkers but also interesting. I can see their point. If you want to play FF7, you can just go and play FF7 (with much better graphics if that's what floats your boat or OG if you prefer). For their monstrously expensive new project they're changing things up, which is their prerogative and, for the first time in the franchise since Advent Children came out, has people asking, "What's going to happen next?" rather than knowing 100%.

That said:

Spoiler

It sounds like you need to be somewhat or mostly familiar with FF7 to get the most understanding out of what Remake is doing, which is a weird choice. One of the reasons for doing the Remake is to get people interested who never played the original or weren't even born at the time.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

The FF7R news sounds bonkers but also interesting. I can see their point. If you want to play FF7, you can just go and play FF7 (with much better graphics if that's what floats your boat or OG if you prefer). For their monstrously expensive new project they're changing things up, which is their prerogative and, for the first time in the franchise since Advent Children came out, has people asking, "What's going to happen next?" rather than knowing 100%.

That said:

Reveal hidden contents

It sounds like you need to be somewhat or mostly familiar with FF7 to get the most understanding out of what Remake is doing, which is a weird choice. One of the reasons for doing the Remake is to get people interested who never played the original or weren't even born at the time.

The more I read/see of this (and how batshit it is), the more interested I am in actually playing the game, and I was one of those who really didn't like the idea of splitting up FF7 into multiple episodes and wasn't particularly interested in the Midgar section to begin with. I'll still wait until this is $20 and part 2 is scheduled for release, but still, color me intrigued I guess. On the other hand...

It would have been much cooler IMO if they'd remade the original game as is, with dropped hints and/or Witcher 3 level decision, based on dialogue and perhaps player skill, that allowed for an alternative take like we are seeing here... culminating in perhaps a different sequence of events of the original, that the player would have some choice to engage with and choose which version, the classic or the alt-take. That would have been the best of both worlds and probably would have generated a huge amount of hype as Square finally dropping a nailbomb into the genre, like they did in 1997

18 hours ago, Werthead said:

That said:

Reveal hidden contents

Any word in these early peeks about whether there is a true turn based mode? Or is it only the easy mode from the replay where you wait for the action bar to fill up and cast a spell?

I played The Last of Us for like 7 straight hours yesterday. It’s great and living up to the hype so far. The controls aren’t the best but I’ve finally gotten used to them. I assume I’m at about the halfway mark as:

Spoiler

Henry just killed himself, and it is now fall. I turned it off there.

We just ran into an ice cream truck and Ellie couldn’t believe that those actually existed. Stuff like that is great. She is in such awe of the old days.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Any word in these early peeks about whether there is a true turn based mode? Or is it only the easy mode from the replay where you wait for the action bar to fill up and cast a spell?

Unfortunately I haven't tested that one. I just went with "normal".

I'll check it out for you in a minute.

EDIT

Tested it. It's 'classic' mode, which is turn-based, easy mode. Cloud (or whatever character you use) will attack, block and dodge on his own (in order to fill up the atb-gauge) and you will be able to give him commands when an atb-gauge is full. It doesn't have to be the full gauge, just part of it.

Seriously, just go with normal. Classic is not very interesting in this game.

Some proof that im not bulshitting, because there's a lot of that going on on the internet.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/872eb39086ccda84a7203f6c1dd72d95/45f73e542d95fbfb-e4/s1280x1920/a388140df28ff0f079f1786f8928ec690e5b508d.jpg

On 3/31/2020 at 6:25 AM, Werthead said:

Is that 5 hours per playthrough per character?

I usually complete games a tad longer than what seems to be reported averages. I did one character in RE2, and it took me 11 hours. I did spend time exploring as I could, and when I realized I had something for a puzzle way across the "place" I was exploring, I'd often go check it out.

I really enjoyed it though. When I played it originally in the old days, I played as Leon and never beat it. This time I finally played as Claire and enjoyed her character much more. And it's a beautiful game.

I want RE3 so bad, because that was the one that the horrid controls finally stopped me from playing. I hardly played any of that game at all, but the whole Nemesis thing seemed super cool. However, I think I'll do what I did for RE2 Remake, and that's wait until it hits substantial sales on Steam.

On 4/2/2020 at 4:34 PM, Whiskeyjack said:

Super disappointing. 

I'd get it if the game wasn't done, and they weren't able to finish it due to people staying out of the office.

But if they're saying its due to logistical issues and wanting everyone to play it at the same time - that's harder to understand.  Are they basically saying they want to be able to sell physical copies in stores (or, reading between the lines, they're restricted by agreements to sell it in stores)?

Like Fez said, would think they could do really well just selling digital copies and then following up for everyone else later.  Have to wonder if there are some contractual limitations here.

I don't know--my son was so happy about this news. Spoilers are rampant in young peoples lives, and he's had so many things spoiled for him by jerks (just coming on a headset while gaming and talking about spoilers from the Force Awakens, for example). We always order physical copies because despite our high speed internet, our monthly cap runs out fast on game downloads. He was super worried about kids getting online and spoiling it while he waited for GameStop to open back up. 

But if you ordered a physical copy, many places around the world aren't allowing those stores to be open. 

When hearing my son talk about it (and how excited he was about this news), it really seems like a customer-friendly decision. I appreciate it.

3 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Unfortunately I haven't tested that one. I just went with "normal".

I'll check it out for you in a minute.

EDIT

Tested it. It's 'classic' mode, which is turn-based, easy mode. Cloud (or whatever character you use) will attack, block and dodge on his own (in order to fill up the atb-gauge) and you will be able to give him commands when an atb-gauge is full. It doesn't have to be the full gauge, just part of it.

Seriously, just go with normal. Classic is not very interesting in this game.

Some proof that im not bulshitting, because there's a lot of that going on on the internet.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/872eb39086ccda84a7203f6c1dd72d95/45f73e542d95fbfb-e4/s1280x1920/a388140df28ff0f079f1786f8928ec690e5b508d.jpg

Then yeah, that’s what it was on the demo I played a month or so ago.

Wert had said he thought there was a true turn based mode where you could control all three characters.

ETA:  Also, thanks for the shout out in your pic! :lol: 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Then yeah, that’s what it was on the demo I played a month or so ago.

Wert had said he thought there was a true turn based mode where you could control all three characters.

ETA:  Also, thanks for the shout out in your pic! :lol: 

It's all good.

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I played The Last of Us for like 7 straight hours yesterday. It’s great and living up to the hype so far. The controls aren’t the best but I’ve finally gotten used to them. I assume I’m at about the halfway mark as:

Reveal hidden contents

Henry just killed himself, and it is now fall. I turned it off there.

We just ran into an ice cream truck and Ellie couldn’t believe that those actually existed. Stuff like that is great. She is in such awe of the old days.

Just about to restart RDR2. Will Do Last Of Us next.

I finished Celeste's final chapter the other day. It's a very meaningful game for me so I'm pretty proud of the accomplishment, of how far Madeline and I have come together. I've still got a lot of mountain to climb personally, and I'm likely to keep chipping away at the challenges still remaining in the game in the form of the golden strawberries (requiring you to complete a level without dying), though so far I only have 3 of them and getting any more is gonna be a lot of work but the more I work at it the more I enjoy the game tbh.

Archived