Videogames: Perfect homies for the great indoors.

Red Tiger

7 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm almost finished FFVII remake. Debating whether I play Witcher or God of war next or do the sensible thing and play through some of my PSplus titles. I didn't realise I only "own" the free titles as long as I have the PSplus account and tbh I'm reaching the point where the games they offer each month are either games I already have or games I have no intention of playing.

Both great games and a bit different from each other. I cannot recommend God of War enough. It's closer to FFVII in style (narrative driven without 900,000 other things you can do though a suitable number of side quests). 

9 hours ago, aceluby said:

Not good news.  Iron Man VR and Last Of Us 2 delayed indefinitely by Sony

https://www.roadtovr.com/iron-man-vr-launch-date-psvr/

Ummmm...... clearly you've been living under a rock because Sony announced TLoU2's new release date a few days ago:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/27/release-date-updates-for-the-last-of-us-part-ii-ghost-of-tsushima/

9 hours ago, aceluby said:

Not good news.  Iron Man VR and Last Of Us 2 delayed indefinitely by Sony

https://www.roadtovr.com/iron-man-vr-launch-date-psvr/

Ummm..... clearly you've been living under a rock because Sony announced TLoU2's new release date a few days ago:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/27/release-date-updates-for-the-last-of-us-part-ii-ghost-of-tsushima/

On 4/30/2020 at 3:41 PM, Ran said:

For those with Discord, we're trying to integrate with a Discord server to provide a chat (and, at least for now, voice chat) option. 

First, head to account settings and then link up your Discord with the forum.

Then click this invite link to, hopefully, get added to the server.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have an account I used to use for War Thunder around here somewhere (before my squad left me for a prettier squad)

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Thanks for the heads up.

I have an account I used to use for War Thunder around here somewhere (before my squad left me for a prettier squad)

Done did it. Just gotta bring the penguin over somehow.

Dang you technology!

Save image as to desktop. Then paste into discord. Should be easy.

Edit: B)

Made another Project Cars race earlier. Remember how I gushed about the M1 ProCar? It is still amazing, but not in a thunderstorm. The next race was at some British track (I have started to hate all British tracks with the exception of Silverstone... why the fuck are the roads so narrow and the chicanes so ridiculously placed that you have to go down to a walking pace in the middle of a hill climb?). Everything went fine until the race and suddenly the whole track was underwater in the last lap. I don't really understand yet how the aquaplaning works in this game. I remember from driving school that aquaplaning shows itself through the controls not reacting when driving at hight speeds, making course corrections impossible and causing this "being a passenger" effect. In Project Cars aquaplaning however feels like someone constantly grabbing into your wheel and steering you into the closest wall. I was thrown sideways twice in the last lap, was caught by the wall, then carefully accelerated back onto the track only to still uncontrollably spin around while while at around 20 km/h. This is ridiculous! I had managed to get such a ridiculous distance to the field in the previous laps that I still won, though it was a damn close finish line victory with the next car driving right beside me while I was pretty damn near constantly fighting for control over my car, passing the finishing straight in a messy zig-zag that makes no sense whatsoever. What the hell?!?

Edit: I should also note that in a bit of impatience to see how it feels like I made a custom free practice with a Formula 1 car on the Nordschleife. That... was not my brightest idea to say the least. The car feels really, really odd. Basically when I started the engine and pushed the throttle without touching anything else the car immediately spun around. I suppose that's because they force you to start on icy cold tires? When I finally managed to jerk the car around the right way I started extremely slowly while jerking my wheel around back and forth to warm the tires and the car became noticeably tamer right away. I must say, despite the infamously hard track, the rest of the drive through the green hell was actually pretty fun. That's not saying that I was any good doing it, I was too slow when I had clear view and too fast in some of the blind corners, two times I was plowing right through a chicane because of that. I can't really imagine how insane it is to race this bloody thing. It drives very precisely at high speeds, but make one mistake and you immediately die.

Well I beat the FF:VII remake yesterday. I can kind of understand why the ending is sort of device among fans of the original; I mean FF:VII is largely considered one of the greatest games of all time. I will say FF:VII, IX and X have a special place in my heart and always will. Growing up these 3 games reshaped how I viewed video games. Before playing these games I had no idea that video games could actually have their own narratives,and I mostly just viewed them as ways to waste time with my friends. My first experience with FF:VII in particular is a magical one, where me and my friends actually stayed up all night taking turns playing the Midgar section, we were that taken in by the story. So I was a bit skeptical at best when I heard about the remake. For starters I'm not a huge fan of Normura as a director; I personally find the narrative of the KH series to be a confusing mess. Also with the exception of The Thing, The Fly and maybe a few others, most remakes usually turn out inferior to the original. However, I think I sort of love this remake. I'll fully admit that the ending is almost impossible to understand if you haven't played the original, but as a huge fan of the original, I thought it was great. It's possibly one of the bravest things I've seen done in a video game.

It almost makes the game a sequel, than a remake; at least from Aeirth and Sephiroth's POV. I just hope they don't screw things up going forward. They made a brave choice by having the characters basically say "f#$k you, destiny, we're writing our own future", now they have to commit to it. That being said as someone who had basically no interest in this remake, waited several weeks after it came out to even start up the game and basically only played it because it would give me something to talk about with my friends, I was pleasantly supersized. I'm actually looking forward to the next game, I just hope they don't go the End Game route and make time travel and mutiverse a confusing mess. Still the game ended on a high note for me, so over all I think I love this remake/sequel and consider it one of the most creative things put in a videogame in a long while.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

Well I beat the FF:VII remake yesterday. I can kind of understand why the ending is sort of device among fans of the original; I mean FF:VII is largely considered one of the greatest games of all time. I will say FF:VII, IX and X have a special place in my heart and always will. Growing up these 3 games reshaped how I viewed video games. Before playing these games I had no idea that video games could actually have their own narratives,and I mostly just viewed them as ways to waste time with my friends. My first experience with FF:VII in particular is a magical one, where me and my friends actually stayed up all night taking turns playing the Midgar section, we were that taken in by the story. So I was a bit skeptical at best when I heard about the remake. For starters I'm not a huge fan of Normura as a director; I personally find the narrative of the KH series to be a confusing mess. Also with the exception of The Thing, The Fly and maybe a few others, most remakes usually turn out inferior to the original. However, I think I sort of love this remake. I'll fully admit that the ending is almost impossible to understand if you haven't played the original, but as a huge fan of the original, I thought it was great. It's possibly one of the bravest things I've seen done in a video game.

Hide contents

It almost makes the game a sequel, than a remake; at least from Aeirth and Sephiroth's POV. I just hope they don't screw things up going forward. They made a brave choice by having the characters basically say "f#$k you, destiny, we're writing our own future", now they have to commit to it. That being said as someone who had basically no interest in this remake, waited several weeks after it came out to even start up the game and basically only played it because it would give me something to talk about with my friends, I was pleasantly supersized. I'm actually looking forward to the next game, I just hope they don't go the End Game route and make time travel and mutiverse a confusing mess. Still the game ended on a high note for me, so over all I think I love this remake/sequel and consider it one of the most creative things put in a videogame in a long while.

I really liked the ending

it has a "Dark Tower" vibe and is a nice meta play on the idea of a remake. It also gives them a lot more freedom with the future installments as they can be more of a remix/entirely new ground now there's a knowing divergence. I can see why Aerith and Sephiroth are keen to thwart destiny! Speaking of which, it makes the future games more tense as I guess anyone could die in the next game and not necessarily Aerith. I think people who want to replay the game exactly as it was should probably just play the original. If the story is so important to them they should be able to stomach the shit graphics

Although I was quite surprised that I have zero interest in levelling up/finishing the additional VR missions. For me the game is complete, I have no interest in trophies and would much rather play another game at this stage.

On 5/1/2020 at 3:47 PM, Mexal said:

Both great games and a bit different from each other. I cannot recommend God of War enough. It's closer to FFVII in style (narrative driven without 900,000 other things you can do though a suitable number of side quests). 

A few friends have said God of war is their favourite PS4 title and I think I'd prefer a more direct story and conclusion. It sounds like it's a bit quicker to finish too because I think whatever I'm playing will be dropped as soon as last of us part 2 lands in my lap.

5 minutes ago, red snow said:

A few friends have said God of war is their favourite PS4 title and I think I'd prefer a more direct story and conclusion. It sounds like it's a bit quicker to finish too because I think whatever I'm playing will be dropped as soon as last of us part 2 lands in my lap.

Witcher 3 is significantly longer than God of War with a million side quests and things to do. Depending on how much you play, think you can easily finish God of War prior to Last of Us 2. I'm personally going to finish Uncharted 3 then replay Last of Us before LOTU2 drops.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Witcher 3 is significantly longer than God of War with a million side quests and things to do. Depending on how much you play, think you can easily finish God of War prior to Last of Us 2. I'm personally going to finish Uncharted 3 then replay Last of Us before LOTU2 drops.

The bonus of playing uncharted is that the game engine is very similar eg I know my aim was a lot better going into LOU having just finished Uncharted 4. I've played the uncharted games before but it's been a while and they are good fun. Also I'd have no problem shelving those games having played them through before.

On 5/1/2020 at 7:05 PM, psynetik123 said:

Ummm..... clearly you've been living under a rock because Sony announced TLoU2's new release date a few days ago:

Living under a rock because I missed news that is a few days old?  And this is what you created an account for?  Lol.

Don't really care about TLoU2 as I thought the first was highly overrated, but everyone here seemed to love it, which is why I thought the community might be interested.  I only stumbled on it because I was looking for the release date of Iron Man VR, which seems to still be delayed indefinitely - unless you want to point out a different rock I was living under..

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I really liked the ending

Reveal hidden contents

it has a "Dark Tower" vibe and is a nice meta play on the idea of a remake. It also gives them a lot more freedom with the future installments as they can be more of a remix/entirely new ground now there's a knowing divergence. I can see why Aerith and Sephiroth are keen to thwart destiny! Speaking of which, it makes the future games more tense as I guess anyone could die in the next game and not necessarily Aerith. I think people who want to replay the game exactly as it was should probably just play the original. If the story is so important to them they should be able to stomach the shit graphics

Although I was quite surprised that I have zero interest in levelling up/finishing the additional VR missions. For me the game is complete, I have no interest in trophies and would much rather play another game at this stage.

If I had any issue with the story of the FF:VII Remake it's.

the fact that aside from Aerith, non of our main characters have any real motivation to cheat destiny, since it's quite literally on their side; as shown when it brings Barret back to life. I'd sort of like it more if the other characters were more aware of what happens to Aerith on their current path and have that be their motivation to say "screw destiny, we're writing our own story".

Aside from that the only major issue I had with the story is the padding in some places. Some of the side quests kind of ruin the pace of the story. I sort of feel the characters going on a bunch of silly side quests and a main quest into the swears ruins the pacing of the events that follow the destruction of Sector 7. In the original game you don't stop to have all these silly adventures when Aerith is captured, you go right to Shinra HQ to save your friend. I get the need to have side quests in the game, but that was clearly not the time or the place for them, IMO.

I got the Drake collection last week since it's free on the PS store. Started the first one yesterday and I'm enjoying it so far. My Uncharted background is odd as I didn't have a PS3. I was a PS guy (or kid) through PS2 but I jumped to Xbox when the 360 came out since all my friends were getting it. I jumped into the series with Uncharted 4 when it dropped on PS4, and had a blast playing it. So here I am now playing the first 3. A little backwards but I'm enjoying it. 

13 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I got the Drake collection last week since it's free on the PS store. Started the first one yesterday and I'm enjoying it so far. My Uncharted background is odd as I didn't have a PS3. I was a PS guy (or kid) through PS2 but I jumped to Xbox when the 360 came out since all my friends were getting it. I jumped into the series with Uncharted 4 when it dropped on PS4, and had a blast playing it. So here I am now playing the first 3. A little backwards but I'm enjoying it. 

I played the 4th one first then got the collection and played 2 and now 3. I haven't played the first and I don't really think I plan on it - always heard the jump from 1 to 2 was huge and 2 is an amazing game. Hard to go back from there for me.

36 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I played the 4th one first then got the collection and played 2 and now 3. I haven't played the first and I don't really think I plan on it - always heard the jump from 1 to 2 was huge and 2 is an amazing game. Hard to go back from there for me.

I was late to the series too. I bought the collection and UC4 and played them all the way through.

I loved them all.  There was a line in UC2 that made me laugh out loud.  “Power’s out. Girl stuck in another room.  I swear if a zombie pops up around this corner, I’m done.”

:lol: 

55 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I can imagine playing the first after 2 and 3 is pretty difficult (based on what I heard about how gorgeous the 2 remaster is). Kinda like how I couldn't play Witcher 1 after starting the series with Assassins of Kings. I tried, trust me, but I didn't get very far.

However, the 1 remaster is fine considering this was made in 2007. Pretty straightforward so far. Shoot bad guys and get to the next cutscene. You can see even in the first how good it is, though. Drake and his companions' charm is pretty special. 

Last of Us 2 goes gold today. I didn't think there'd be another delay after the first two, but can never be sure, so this just solidifies it. Druckmann talks about it below. Would recommend just watching the video that's embedded and don't go to YT to watch it as surely there's some asshole waiting to be an asshole and post spoilers. I've avoided just fine so far. 

On 3/26/2020 at 5:06 PM, RumHam said:

We should try to get a stellaris multiplayer game going while many of us are stuck inside. 

Still interested? It seems they've buffed out the major bugs from the update. I'm about to finish the single player match I had going.

Archived