Videogames: Perfect homies for the great indoors.

Red Tiger

Huh, his seems like a great time to release a video game to me, with so many people stuck inside. Do that many people still walk into their local store and pick up a physical copy? Or are they worried they can't produce enough physical copies under the circumstances? 

40 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Eerk. Last of Us II delayed indefinitely - despite being done - because they can't execute their planned release plan under current conditions.

People now frantically hoping the same thing doesn't happen to Cyberpunk 2077.

I think they're screwing up their revenue projections. Even if they're worried about loss of physical sales, the amount of additional digital sales from people being home should dwarf that loss. There's a reason why the big releases the past few weeks keep breaking projections and why Steam keeps breaking its records for most concurrent users.

Super disappointing. 

I'd get it if the game wasn't done, and they weren't able to finish it due to people staying out of the office.

But if they're saying its due to logistical issues and wanting everyone to play it at the same time - that's harder to understand.  Are they basically saying they want to be able to sell physical copies in stores (or, reading between the lines, they're restricted by agreements to sell it in stores)?

Like Fez said, would think they could do really well just selling digital copies and then following up for everyone else later.  Have to wonder if there are some contractual limitations here.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Huh, his seems like a great time to release a video game to me, with so many people stuck inside. Do that many people still walk into their local store and pick up a physical copy? Or are they worried they can't produce enough physical copies under the circumstances? 

On console? Physical is still huge. Digital only took physical sales last year, with 53% of sales, so ~47% of sales on console are still boxed copies (which is why GAME and GameStop are basically still in existence).

When you factor in PC, where physical sales are now pretty much limited to limited editions (which usually only have a Steam code in them anyway, no physical disc) and mobile, it's closer to 85% digital sales vs 15% physical, so console users are still well behind the curve.

My guess is that in the case of must-have games, a lot of people who'd normally buy physical would switch to digital, but there will still be some hold-outs who'll refuse. If Sony think they'll lose a third or more of Week 1 sales because of that, that might seriously impact their bottom line. That said, sitting on a completed game for months on end isn't good business sense either.

I suspect this might be why the Horizon: Zero Dawn PC port (which probably won't even have a physical release) and CP77, where the PC version will be a strong focus, might not be delayed as well, but Ghost of Tsushima is likely to also be delayed (and Halo Infinite if we get that far with the lockdowns still in place).

But wouldn't people still be able to get physical copies from Amazon and the like? Or is it that they can't make enough disks right now?

Would it cost them anything to give everyone who pre-ordered a digital code for now and then ship the disks later?

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

But wouldn't people still be able to get physical copies from Amazon and the like? Or is it that they can't make enough disks right now?

Would it cost them anything to give everyone who pre-ordered a digital code for now and then ship the disks later?

Seems like Sony is hedging right now. Everyone knows the USA majority screwed up the response to Covid-19, and the end of May might look significantly different than the beginning of April, particularly in terms of an individual's discretionary spending. Square managed to get into the right window. So Sony is going to be cautious, particularly with TLoU2, a sequel to a game that sold 17 million copies.

I pre-ordered it on Amazon through a gift card, and would have liked some sort of "here's a digital code, don't go out." 

13 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Spider-Man is a good game.  I'm about 40% in and I keep thinking it's better than I thought it would be.  I started it a while ago and don't remember why I dropped it.

13 hours ago, red snow said:

Even morseso if you're a fan of the character. Basically GTA with spidey in it. I sunk a lot of time into it and wanted to do all the side missions rather than just doing for sake of it. I mean, i even chased pigeons around Manhattan.

9 hours ago, briantw said:

It took a while for the combat to really click for me (was trying to play it too much like the Arkham games I think), but once it did I was just sailing around through the air annihilating fools.  So much fun.

Can't wait for the sequel.

I finished the campaign last week and I have just a few more side jobs in the DLC chapter three to finish up.  I have definitely done more of the side stuff in this game than I usually do.

The end of the story actually made me tear up a bit.  The voice acting and writing made for a really solid Spidey story.

I was disappointed that the classic black/white suit wasn’t an alternative option... but then, I’m not clear what has/hasn’t happened in Spidey’s background in this part of the Spiderverse.  I’m guessing no symbiote at all so far and they may be saving the black suit for the sequel.

Well, the joke became real. I'm going to restart RDR2 and go full white hat and complete everything, though I may make a second game too and be the man in black. 

I got close to finishing GTA V, but never got back to it. I might just start that over too since it's no where near the time sink as above.

I am going to have to set The Last of Us on an easy mode and give it a go. I can't remember what mode I set it on before, but it wasn't either of the two easiest modes and it went poorly. 

And when I asked months ago, the aforementioned Spider-Man got positive reviews for an open world game like RDR2 and GTA. I might also look into trying to find RDR after I beat the squeal. 

I'm trying the best I can to rationalize my new situation. Only working four of the next eight weeks while having 75% of my pay guaranteed is nice, and the first round of direct stimulus should clear some of the gap so I don't have to make significant lifestyle changes, but after eight weeks, if this just keeps getting worse, oh boy. And I say that as someone with a lot of reserves. I really feel for the half of Americans who can't sustain an unexpected $400 bill. 

Ugly times ahead, sadly methinks. So that's why I think I'll lean into gaming for a bit. And with that, onto the Lamar Jackson lead Vikings. I may throw a disturbing amount of interceptions, but with injuries turned off, I'll run for 3,000 yards and maybe 100 TDs. 

Disappointed to hear about LoU2 today. Didn't hit me as hard as the first delay did, but the indefinite part of this sucks. I'm guessing it'll drop in late summer/early fall? Hard to say. It's funny cause over recent weeks I was wondering if they would delay due to covid, but I thought nah, everyone ordered to stay inside, what's better for a big video game release? Well, as people posted above, I'm sure there's the fear of sales being affected which is understandable when this game will be the biggest release of the year next to Cyberpunk. I get it, but incredibly disappointing nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I am going to have to set The Last of Us on an easy mode and give it a go. I can't remember what mode I set it on before, but it wasn't either of the two easiest modes and it went poorly.  

If you started off on hard more (two above easy) that can be a rough intro to the game. If you play on easy or normal you should be fine.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well, the joke became real. I'm going to restart RDR2 and go full white hat and complete everything, though I may make a second game too and be the man in black. 

I got close to finishing GTA V, but never got back to it. I might just start that over too since it's no where near the time sink as above.

And when I asked months ago, the aforementioned Spider-Man got positive reviews for an open world game like RDR2 and GTA. I might also look into trying to find RDR after I beat the squeal. 

I'm trying the best I can to rationalize my new situation. Only working four of the next eight weeks while having 75% of my pay guaranteed is nice, and the first round of direct stimulus should clear some of the gap so I don't have to make significant lifestyle changes, but after eight weeks, if this just keeps getting worse, oh boy. And I say that as someone with a lot of reserves. I really feel for the half of Americans who can't sustain an unexpected $400 bill. 

Ugly times ahead, sadly methinks. So that's why I think I'll lean into gaming for a bit. And with that, onto the Lamar Jackson lead Vikings. I may throw a disturbing amount of interceptions, but with injuries turned off, I'll run for 3,000 yards and maybe 100 TDs. 

If you are tracking down the original RDR make sure to get "undead redemption" too. It's a hilarious zombie western with call backs to characters from the original game.

Last of us on normal mode is a good balance. It's not too easy but if you're willing to spend a lot of time running and hiding it's never too challenging. It's also wise to save ammo for situations where it has to be used rather than as an easy way of killing everything.

That really sucks that last of us 2 is indefinitely delayed. At this rate i might even have a job again meaning i won't have time to play it (although I'll probably need the job to buy the game at that point).

22 hours ago, red snow said:

Even morseso if you're a fan of the character. Basically GTA with spidey in it. I sunk a lot of time into it and wanted to do all the side missions rather than just doing for sake of it. I mean, i even chased pigeons around Manhattan.

I just picked that pigeon quest last time I played.  I like the side quests but the Harry Osborne environmental shacks and the landmark photos are my favorite. 

19 hours ago, briantw said:

It took a while for the combat to really click for me (was trying to play it too much like the Arkham games I think), but once it did I was just sailing around through the air annihilating fools.  So much fun.

Can't wait for the sequel.

I think I'm still playing Arkham style.  Lot of attack from above.  I do love grabbing things with my web and throwing them at enemies, though.  I recently was ambushed by Demons on a rooftop and they handed my ass straight to me.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

If you are tracking down the original RDR make sure to get "undead redemption" too. It's a hilarious zombie western with call backs to characters from the original game.

Last of us on normal mode is a good balance. It's not too easy but if you're willing to spend a lot of time running and hiding it's never too challenging. It's also wise to save ammo for situations where it has to be used rather than as an easy way of killing everything.

That really sucks that last of us 2 is indefinitely delayed. At this rate i might even have a job again meaning i won't have time to play it (although I'll probably need the job to buy the game at that point).

I've heard of the zombie mode. It has me really curious. I think I can play RDR if I sign up for some free one week trial thing. 

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

I finished the campaign last week and I have just a few more side jobs in the DLC chapter three to finish up.  I have definitely done more of the side stuff in this game than I usually do.

The end of the story actually made me tear up a bit.  The voice acting and writing made for a really solid Spidey story.

I was disappointed that the classic black/white suit wasn’t an alternative option... but then, I’m not clear what has/hasn’t happened in Spidey’s background in this part of the Spiderverse.  I’m guessing no symbiote at all so far and they may be saving the black suit for the sequel.

Yeah I'm liking it so far.  I'm at the spot right after...

Spoiler

Jefferson Davis funeral

The black and white suit is good but I love the red and black of the suits I currently have.

This game is also beautiful.  Just pleasant to look at the screen while you play.

52 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

I just picked that pigeon quest last time I played.  I like the side quests but the Harry Osborne environmental shacks and the landmark photos are my favorite. 

The combination of real landmarks mixed with marvel easter eggs made the photos particularly fun to seek out.

I think symbiotes will be an aspect of the next game although they will hopefully maintain the villain gangs too.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've heard of the zombie mode. It has me really curious. I think I can play RDR if I sign up for some free one week trial thing. 

It's really good fun and has more of an action aspect with you clearing out zombie hordes. It might even come with the original now.

19 minutes ago, red snow said:

It's really good fun and has more of an action aspect with you clearing out zombie hordes. It might even come with the original now.

My understanding is it's complicated if you're using a PS4. 

13 minutes ago, red snow said:

That's a shame. I didn't realize you could only play via PS now.

PS3 with a physical copy. I'm not sure how streaming it or downloading it works. I beat RDR2 playing the black hat role, and it was only then that I realized it was a prequel. 

I guess someone had to get that idiot off of the mountain. 

Archived