Who Pays the Coronaman? - Covid #8

Tywin Manderly

Goebbels didn't come up with it himself if I recall, but was a huge fan of the idea and championed it himself. As stated it fit nicely with existing Nazi dogma (so far as anything can fit into the demented ravings and lib trolling that is Nazi dogma) about a new overarching world culture rising in Germany. Since all those western animals became so infatuated with Greece after they butchered my beloved Empire, I don't have to explain to you why Hitler thought all human social and cultural genesis occurred in Greece of all places.

6 minutes ago, Jeor said:

While I think some countries may rebound quite quickly, there are going to be some that struggle under the debt burden and the deficit spending for years to come. Some countries will probably be okay - the US is spending the most, but they've got cushy status with the dollar, and countries like Australia don't have much of a debt burden so they can take on more.

Globally there will probably be a reasonably quick rebound from this, but I wonder if this crisis is going to secretly lay some sovereign debt time bomb that will blow a few more years down the track.

The question of course also is how C19 will change global dynamics. What about the secondary markets (real estate, financing). I mean some countries haven’t been in good shape before. What about all this talk of „bringing back manufacturing“ etc. What about the new political world order afterwards? China is gaining huge influence around the globe. The US are losing on this front. So many known unknowns and unknown unknowns to paraphrase Rumsfeld. All of this will have ramifications. 

Will we see a true multipolar world afterwards or a new „cold war“ between the US and China? A lot also depends whether Trump is re-elected or not. I can see the EU losing complete trust in the US as an ally if this man gets another 4 years. Biden, I don’t like him, but he is a nice diplomatic guy, which would help. So many questions and everything is interconnected. Ah and yes, there‘s still a ruinous oil war going on between Russia, Saudi Arabia and the US fracking industry. Madness all around. 

6 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Goebbels didn't come up with it himself if I recall, but was a huge fan of the idea and championed it himself. As stated it fit nicely with existing Nazi dogma (so far as anything can fit into the demented ravings and lib trolling that is Nazi dogma) about a new overarching world culture rising in Germany. Since all those western animals became so infatuated with Greece after they butchered my beloved Empire, I don't have to explain to you why Hitler thought all human social and cultural genesis occurred in Greece of all places.

And to think, I was supposed to be planning my back packing trip from Athens to Rome. Looks like that's on hold for a while. Will probably get better prices next year though.

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Here's an update on the number of coronavirus test results by day in the US.

3/23 - 54k

3/24 - 64k

3/25 - 74k

3/26 - 97k

So yesterday saw an actual jump in tests.  That's good.  If we continue increasing by 23k per day, we'll be where we need to be by mid-april.  :wacko:

Where are you finding these numbers?

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

There's a link in the first sentence.  Click the daily numbers. 

It's weird how often the link does not show up until after you post a quote. That's the third time I could not see a link until after I quoted.

eta: holy hell, the scary thing about that list is how little testing has been done in so many states. Texas has only done 21,000, with a population of 27 M.

9 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

eta: holy hell, the scary thing about that list is how little testing has been done in so many states. Texas has only done 21,000, with a population of 27 M.

Really if you take out like the 5 most proactive states, the entire country is a wasteland of nontesting. 

12 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Really if you take out like the 5 most proactive states, the entire country is a wasteland of nontesting. 

It is weird but sometimes it is just a matter of unfortunate circumstances. The US is huge, many states have low density, low diagnostics capacity (laboratories), maybe understaffed. I cannot imagine that it’s a matter of testkit production or availability. The testkits themselves are not really expensive or difficult to manufacture. SK produces 100k/day IIRC, Germany as well. I think the US can easily ramp up production to somewhere between 300-400k. 

My bet is diagnostics capacity, something you can’t ramp up over night. 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Some notes on retail trends.

First the hand sanitizer, the disinfectants, the soap, the gloves and the masks sold out.

Then the food items sold out, the beans, the pasta, etc etc.

The third wave? Pajamas.

The fourth - shirts. Because teleconference calls.

I'm having fun wondering how many of the people I'm video calling at work have pyjamas/underwear/nothing on their lower half. 

For my own mental health I have still been getting up and dressing in business wear everyday. I know if I break that routine I will gradually stop taking care of my appearance and that is one of the signs that I am letting my depression overtake me again. 

1 hour ago, john said:

I just found out that our local supermarket has sanitiser that you’re supposed to ask for at the checkout. How long has this been going on!

As well as limiting the number of customers in stores at one time, the bigger supermarkets now also seem to be giving people anti bac to wash their hands on entry and wipes to clean the trolley or basket handles. 

Just now, Arakan said:

It is weird but sometimes it is just a matter of unfortunate circumstances. The US is huge, many states have low density, low diagnostics capacity (laboratories), maybe understaffed. I cannot imagine that it’s a matter of testkit production or availability. The testkits themselves are not really expensive or difficult to manufacture. SK produces 100k/day IIRC, Germany as well. I think the US can easily ramp up production to somewhere between 300-400k. 

It's a matter of a bunch of states having zero resources and less concern for the citizens. You really think the governor of Texas gives a flying fuck if 700,000 people die? Do you think that will jeopardize his reelection bid? Spoiler alert, it won't. Stop punking yourself.

3 minutes ago, Arakan said:

Nah. They first had no testkits, and various states have been supporting Trump by not testing. They don't say that's what they're doing, but they're doing testing in slo-mo.

Ok. If this is deliberate then what can I say. I cannot understand this from a purely rational point of view. It makes no technical sense. Denial only works to a certain degree. The thing is it will bite them back in the ass. There must be consequences! I am surely not a fan of Romney or his ideology but at least he had the integrity to call out the bullshit. There surely must be rational-thinking Republicans left. It makes no sense for me. Sorry. 

We all can argue about politics, ideology. But are the Republicans now are bunch of fanatics? Did they all watch too much of that garbage Fox News and started to believe that childish garbage. I mean, for fun a watch sometimes RT (as well as Fox News). RT of course is nothing more than Putin‘s propaganda channel for the globe. But I give credit where it’s due, it’s often quite sophisticated (and thus more dangerous). But Fox News? Hahahaha it’s so stupid, I mean fuck. 

I hope for the world that Republicans find their way back to rationality and I hope Democrats find a backbone. You cannot fight idiocy with „class“ or „facts“. You go full mockery (I like Bernie by the way). 

2 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

functional Head of Government

But he's not.  Anymore than is Jim Jones of the USA.  The news sources, not a single one, dare to say the truth that he's the one who did this to us, because he will keep any aid voted for their regions to arrive.  That's not a functional head of government. That's a sociopath, a narcissist and evil entity.  Johnson's the same.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But he's not.  Anymore than is Jim Jones of the USA.  The news sources, not a single one, dare to say the truth that he's the one who did this to us, because he will keep any aid voted for their regions to arrive.  That's not a functional head of government. That's a sociopath, a narcissist and evil entity.  Johnson's the same.

Wow, I thought the goebbels comment was misjudged but now Johnson is an ‘evil  entity’ :rofl:

39 minutes ago, Arakan said:

Ok. If this is deliberate then what can I say. I cannot understand this from a purely rational point of view. It makes no technical sense. Denial only works to a certain degree. The thing is it will bite them back in the ass. There must be consequences! I am surely not a fan of Romney or his ideology but at least he had the integrity to call out the bullshit. There surely must be rational-thinking Republicans left. It makes no sense for me. Sorry. 

We all can argue about politics, ideology. But are the Republicans now are bunch of fanatics? Did they all watch too much of that garbage Fox News and started to believe that childish garbage. I mean, for fun a watch sometimes RT (as well as Fox News). RT of course is nothing more than Putin‘s propaganda channel for the globe. But I give credit where it’s due, it’s often quite sophisticated (and thus more dangerous). But Fox News? Hahahaha it’s so stupid, I mean fuck. 

I hope for the world that Republicans find their way back to rationality and I hope Democrats find a backbone. You cannot fight idiocy with „class“ or „facts“. You go full mockery (I like Bernie by the way). 

You're not from here, right? America? I don't ask in a snarky dismissive way, but you don't seem to appreciate the idiocy of the American at large. Donald's approval rating is as high as it's been since he took office and the majority of American approve of his handling of the virus.

THEY'RE FUCKING DUMB, YO!

10 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You're not from here, right? America? I don't ask in a snarky dismissive way, but you don't seem to appreciate the idiocy of the American at large. Donald's approval rating is as high as it's been since he took office and the majority of American approve of his handling of the virus.

THEY'RE FUCKING DUMB, YO!

No I am not. I am from the motherland of past insanity (Germany). Fringe groups exist everywhere, it’s human nature. Here they are called AFD, basically far-right with fascist subgroups. But they must be contained as much as possible. You cannot play with fire. Containment ;). It’s the job of rational conservatives to distance themselves from rightwing lunatics as much as possible, not embrace them. They have the ability to poison everything.  Viewed from the outside I think it started with the Tea Party, lunatics and populists becoming establishment and mainstream. Everywhere in the world the same, Conservatives first and foremost care about power. Anyway, when all this is over, there must be consequences, reports, hearings etc. 
The Republicans of times past must be embarrassed deep inside...

29 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Wow, I thought the goebbels comment was misjudged but now Johnson is an ‘evil  entity’ :rofl:

Whats your problem with the Goebbels comment? I stand by it. Deny it as much as you want. A propaganda slogan built on blatant lies, fueling the subconscious emotions of bigotry, xenophobia, envy, national pride (the NHS as a national treasure basically has to be neglected due to the EUSSR etc.). It was a great piece of propaganda, technically it achieved what it should achieve. Brilliant work. Goebbels would had been proud :)  

Archived