Who Pays the Coronaman? - Covid #8

Tywin Manderly

3 minutes ago, Arakan said:

Whats your problem with the Goebbels comment? I stand by it. Deny it as much as you want. A propaganda slogan built on blatant lies, fueling the subconscious emotions of bigotry, xenophobia, envy, national pride (the NHS as a national treasure basically has to be neglected due to the EUSSR etc.). It was a great piece of propaganda, technically it achieved what it should achieve. Brilliant work. Goebbels would had been proud :)  

Comparing Boris Johnson to an actual Nazi... maybe a bit hyperbolic I’d say, just as calling him an evil entity is. 

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Comparing Boris Johnson to an actual Nazi... maybe a bit hyperbolic I’d say, just as calling him an evil entity is. 

I didn’t say BJ is a Nazi. But his propaganda was Goebbels-worthy. I also don’t say DT is a Nazi but his bullshit of „Mexico is sending us their rapists“ is Nazi-worthy. But let’s agree do disagree. 

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yes, yes, a racist, homophobe, who waxed poetically of colonialism, and proudly called Africans ethnic slurs can't be called evil because...

Ignore anything bad has ever said or done, and he's an ok guy really. 

4 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Yes, yes, a racist, homophobe, who waxed poetically of colonialism, and proudly called Africans ethnic slurs can't be called evil because...

Oh here we go again. Nonsense.

5 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

When did shades of grey and nuance cease to exist? He clearly is a bit of an arsehole, but comparing him to someone like Goebbels is a bit much. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Fuck 969 deaths in Italy, this is really bad news.  That is a huge jump from last few days and shows that he plateau has not been reached in all likelyhood. 

We are lying to ourselves. We tell us stories of so many unconfirmed cases without any data to back it up. Just to make us feel better. It must stop. 
In Madrid they triage at at 65 already! This is nothing!

41 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Fuck 969 deaths in Italy, this is really bad news.  That is a huge jump from last few days and shows that he plateau has not been reached in all likelyhood. 

Yeah, the fatalities / day in Italy were reasonably static this week at around 600-700 / day. I'm guessing the latest jump in numbers is due to a spike in deaths in central/southern regions rather than the previous Lombardia/Veneto epicentre. (No data to back that up though). The other possibility (again, no data) is that some previous deaths in the epicentre are being re-classified as COVID deaths. There seemed to be some severe under-attribution of deaths in some northern towns. 

The longer this continues, the more we are seeing how heroic China's containment efforts were. To have less deaths overall than Italy is having in a week, in a country many times the size...

Triage has been long known as what happens when health care services have to make decisions about where to place their resources. It's tragic but this flailing about with panic over it doesn't really contribute to the discussion, so I'd suggest those finding themselves really emotionally worked up take a breather from posting in the thread.

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

Yeah, the fatalities / day in Italy were reasonably static this week at around 600-700 / day. I'm guessing the latest jump in numbers is due to a spike in deaths in central/southern regions rather than the previous Lombardia/Veneto epicentre. (No data to back that up though). The other possibility (again, no data) is that some previous deaths in the epicentre are being re-classified as COVID deaths. There seemed to be some severe under-attribution of deaths in some northern towns. 

The longer this continues, the more we are seeing how heroic China's containment efforts were. To have less deaths overall than Italy is having in a week, in a country many times the size...

For perspective. They put Hubei in lockdown and Wuhan in total quarantine (much much stricter than what we see so far in the rest of the world) at roughly 400 confirmed cases. They got it under control (<500 cases/day) 4 weeks later, at roughly 75,000 cases. 
Our Western lockdowns are a joke in comparison. Still way too many points of contacts. Everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, Arakan said:

Our Western lockdowns are a joke in comparison. Still way too many points of contacts. Everywhere. 

I'm not sure you can paint all jurisdictions with the same brush. Some are clearly learning appropriate lessons from China, others certainly less so. 

1 minute ago, Ran said:

Triage has been long known as what happens when health care services have to make decisions about where to place their resources. It's tragic but this flailing about with panic over it doesn't really contribute to the discussion, so I'd suggest those finding themselves really emotionally worked up take a breather from posting in the thread.

Yes I understand your point. But there are still so many people out there who do not take it seriously, who do not fear it. Who do not comply to the necessary rules. This video has an educational purpose. It is not exploiting, it is describing what right now happens. People must see it. This is not panic, this is looking at a very possible scenario. And triage on a such a mass scale as it happens right now in Spain, in Madrid for sure has not been done in any Western country for the past 70 years. 

Rutte, Premier of the Netherlands, also a promoter of herd immunity...almost 600 deaths with not even 9000 confirmed cases. For „the economy“.  

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Has there been any independent confirmation of China’s reported numbers? The cynic in me feels like there are a lot of governments that are just fudging the data.

Iran is clearly the biggest offender in this regard. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Has there been any independent confirmation of China’s reported numbers? The cynic in me feels like there are a lot of governments that are just fudging the data.

Have to agree. I’m not going to be describing China’s response as ‘heroic’ until I am sure of their numbers, or what the actual effect those measures are going to be by the time the next wave hits 

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Have to agree. I’m not going to be describing China’s response as ‘heroic’ until I am sure of their numbers, or what the actual effect those measures are going to be by the time the next wave hits 

Ha yes, was possibly the wrong choice of words given that ends are not always justified by means. But the numbers (if you believe them) are pretty astounding. And the evidence that the economy is kicking back into gear must lend them some credibility. 

13 minutes ago, Arakan said:

For perspective. They put Hubei in lockdown and Wuhan in total quarantine (much much stricter than what we see so far in the rest of the world) at roughly 400 confirmed cases. They got it under control (<500 cases/day) 4 weeks later, at roughly 75,000 cases. 

Quite a few people here in Austria use this "free" time for house building projects.

My uncle sells the kind of construction equipment and supplies you need when you build your own house and business is the best it has ever been. These things are always a group effort that require the close proximity of the people doing the work. 

My neighbours send their kid to another neighbours house every day. 

It is a joke nothing more.

My mum who is a caretaker for the handicapped has lost all motivation because the useless bureaucrats that are in control of the place she works have introduced a new completely unworkable shift system and want a lot of stuff done in ways that are just not possible with current staffing levels. One the other hand people without training are now allowed to do everything which will cause a lot of harm. She would have quit this week if she did not care for the people she takes care of.

A friend of mine who is a caretaker for the elderly tells more or less the same story.

I suspect that people will start quitting jobs in those fields as soon as the job market looks better again after this crisis.

My mum will just retire early I guess. 

Archived