Who Pays the Coronaman? - Covid #8

Tywin Manderly

Just now, Paxter said:

I'm not sure you can paint all jurisdictions with the same brush. Some are clearly learning appropriate lessons from China, others certainly less so. 

Nothing comes close. Nowhere. You can look the measures up. 
- mandatory self-isolation in apartments

- no leaving the apartments except every three days to gather essential supplies at defined checkpoints 

- no leaving for working (except very few essential jobs)

- Health checks everywhere 

- no leaving the apartment, not even for 10 minutes for walking the dog etc

- no one came into the city, no one left the city (a city the size of London)

This for 4 weeks minimum. No one comes close. Hopefully we do not have to. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Has there been any independent confirmation of China’s reported numbers? The cynic in me feels like there are a lot of governments that are just fudging the data.

Eh. China was willing to literally weld apartment doors shut with people inside. I can believe that's an extremely effective control measure.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

When did shades of grey and nuance cease to exist? He clearly is a bit of an arsehole, but comparing him to someone like Goebbels is a bit much. 

Nope.

Talks the same, thinks the same, acts the same, walks the same, quacks the same, there you are -- a true believer in the phony eugenic 'fake science' which is white supremacist totalitarian philosophy of survival by and for me and kill every one else hahahahah because tht is the story of life.

Calling 'em nazis etc. is just calling a spade by its correct name. Someone has to have the guts to make the tough decisions.

7 minutes ago, Arakan said:

Nothing comes close. Nowhere. You can look the measures up. 
- mandatory self-isolation in apartments

- no leaving the apartments except every three days to gather essential supplies at defined checkpoints 

- no leaving for working (except very few essential jobs)

- Health checks everywhere 

- no leaving the apartment, not even for 10 minutes for walking the dog etc

- no one came into the city, no one left the city (a city the size of London)

This for 4 weeks minimum. No one comes close. Hopefully we do not have to. 

Sure, but those measures were (perhaps, it's too early to judge) justified given their circumstances and possible based on the form of government. Does NZ need to do the same (with around 300 infections and 0 dead)? Countries need to sensibly learn appropriate lessons, not adopt Chinese responses wholesale. 

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Nope.

Talks the same, thinks the same, acts the same, walks the same, quacks the same, there you are -- a true believer in the phony eugenic 'fake science' which is white supremacist totalitarian philosophy of survival by and for me and kill every one else hahahahah because tht is the story of life.

Calling 'em nazis etc. is just calling a spade by its correct name. Someone has to have the guts to make the tough decisions.

Yep. Some tried that shit here in Germany as well that we have to think about „the economy“ with all those lockdowns. Conservative media. Only 10 days in a semi-lockdown :)))) (my dad, 63, construction worker still has to work). 
Angela Merkel basically told them to shut the fuck up. 

No, for those people ordinary life is of little value. The domino stones will fall. 

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

Sure, but those measures were (perhaps, it's too early to judge) justified given their circumstances and possible based on the form of government. Does NZ need to do the same (with around 300 infections and 0 dead)? Countries need to sensibly learn appropriate lessons, not adopt Chinese responses wholesale. 

I agree. But inaction due to „the economy“ leads to what happens right now in Madrid. Who can tell me that tomorrow it will not be London? Or Berlin? 

I much rather like the lessons learned from South Korea. Act fast, act hard, act decisively, act with strategy and tactics. You can discuss the „real“ mortality rate afterwards. Unknown virus, new virus, kills    . Red alert. Act. 

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Nope.

Are you really comparing someone culpable for millions of deaths with someone who is a bit racist and a liar? 

You sound like a silly teenager. 

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Nope.

I find posts like this genuinely terrifying, that people actually think like this.

21 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Eh. China was willing to literally weld apartment doors shut with people inside. I can believe that's an extremely effective control measure.

certainly went full tilt, but that can’t be replicated in the West. But still, their numbers seem so out of line with everyone else who also were slow to respond, and it doesn’t help that they kicked out the press from the West.

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I find posts like this genuinely terrifying, that people actually think like this.

Hahahaha funny. I find it rather genuinely terrifying that a politician in a country like the UK can so shamelessly lie, play with garbage propaganda, playing with xenophobia, ugly jingoism, bigotry. Have I mentioned lied? And still gets to be Prime Minister. Ah yes, of course destroying over 40 years of partnership with his neighbors with ugly lies. Nah it’s not terrifying, it’s disgusting. He is no better than any of the many far-right politicians across Europe right now. 

A yes not to forget the appeal to the glorious past. A key trademark of proto-fascism. BJ knows his stuff :)  

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Are you really comparing someone culpable for millions of deaths with someone who is a bit racist and a liar? 

You sound like a silly teenager. 

Come on. False outrage. 
Give a man the opportunity and he will show his true colors. Thank god many men do not have the opportunity. BJ included. BJ is a high-functional amoral psychopath. They smile at you, they lie to you, they don’t give a shit if you call them out on it. As long as it serves their self-interest. 

3 minutes ago, Arakan said:

Come on. False outrage. 
Give a man the opportunity and he will show his true colors. Thank god many men do not have the opportunity. BJ included. BJ is a high-functional amoral psychopath. They smile at you, they lie to you, they don’t give a shit if you call them out on it. As long as it serves their self-interest. 

You have to give him the opportunity to show his colours before you compare him to one of the worst people in history. 

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You have to give him the opportunity to show his colours before you compare him to one of the worst people in history. 

No you don’t. And I didn’t compare him with Goebbels. False outrage. But let’s stop it. OT. 

10 minutes ago, Leap said:

I wonder if there will ever be a full accounting of how many people died due to coronavirus. If we're potentially missing thousands already even in rich nations like Italy, what are the prospects for third world countries? Are they just going to end up with relatively few cases & deaths but mysteriously have really high numbers of dead this year? I know that it's possible to test people to see whether or not they have already had it, but it kinda seems like that is even less a priority than testing people to see if they have it currently.

I think this goes without saying. As an obvious example, we have nothing more than an estimate of how many people have died from HIV/AIDS (one of the great pandemics of recent decades). The margin of error is in the millions. 

38 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

It's tricky. The man was behind the big lie theory, and politicians today are doing the same thing. How do you point to two nearly identical behaviors without straight up calling Nazis?

47 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Call the spade that is digging our graves the spade that is digging our graves.

Lots and lots and LOTS of spades out there, starting with Jim Jones squatting in the oval office, BJ wherever he sits, and one fracking politico and biz guy after another.  Open it all! Die to Save MY Big Monies. They have ALL BEEN PROPAGATING THIS.  What else do you call it except a spade?

32 minutes ago, Leap said:

I wonder if there will ever be a full accounting of how many people died due to coronavirus. If we're potentially missing thousands already even in rich nations like Italy, what are the prospects for third world countries? Are they just going to end up with relatively few cases & deaths but mysteriously have really high numbers of dead this year? I know that it's possible to test people to see whether or not they have already had it, but it kinda seems like that is even less a priority than testing people to see if they have it currently.

There never will be, just academic guesses. I've written at length here and elsewhere my great fears for Brazil. And really all of South and Central America. They are by and large poor countries with a lot of underlying problems and an insane amount of corruption. And the populations in many countries are clustered together and there's a lot of travel from large cities to other large cities. And there's a lot of international travel there. Once it gets there in a serious way, most governments won't be able to deal with it without a lot of outside help, help that will not come. 

When it hits the slums of Rio and Buenos Aires, watch out. The fatality rates could be tragic, on a scale that makes Italy look like a walk in the park.

Archived