Who Pays the Coronaman? - Covid #8

Tywin Manderly

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's tricky. The man was behind the big lie theory, and politicians today are doing the same thing. How do you point to two nearly identical behaviors without straight up calling Nazis?

By recognizing that dishonesty and propaganda does not define a Nazi. That's something morally absent individuals who like to accumulate followers without giving them anything do. Often for the purpose of gaining power, whatever that might mean in their society and situation.

Words mean things. This is how you get people boldly telling me that the U.S.S.R. was a fascist state and actually believing his own ignorant blather.

50 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

certainly went full tilt, but that can’t be replicated in the West. But still, their numbers seem so out of line with everyone else who also were slow to respond, and it doesn’t help that they kicked out the press from the West.

My understanding is that China kicked out reporters from the New York Times, Washington Post, and the Wall Street Journal in retaliation for the US reducing the numbers of visas it would grant to employees of Chinese state media outlets.  There should be plenty of Western journalists still in China.

The numbers in China don't look out of line to me at all.  The most stringent restrictions in the US are nowhere near as severe as those implemented in China.  When Chinese experts recently visited Italy to help out, they told them that there measures were insufficient.  It's been clear for a very long time that numbers were going to skyrocket in the West because very little was being done, and still aren't being done.  I've pretty much resigned myself now that we just don't have the will in the West to do what is necessary.  We don't even have the will to do the little things that are easy, like wear masks or some sort of facial covering when we go outside.  It's still a joke to many people here.  China isn't the only country that is having success at keeping the numbers under control.  Just look at the other asian countries like Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan that have had to deal with SARS before.

The numbers in the US have been very consistently doubling about every 3 days since the beginning of March, when we only had 100 reported cases.  If you look at the total number of cases in the US using a logarithmic scale, it's amazingly linear.  It's been very obvious for the past several weeks that we would surpass China before the end of the month.  I think the question now is whether we've done enough to stop the cases from hitting a million here.  250k seems inevitable, and 500k seems likely unless we see a substantial reducing in the rate of infection in the next few days.  This is not panicking, or hyperbole.  At the current rate of doubling, we would hit 1 million in less than two weeks.  We should hopefully be seeing the effects of the quarantine measures that were put in place a couple weeks ago soon.  I think it might buy us some time, but I don't think we've done enough to get the R0 number below 1, which is what is needed to get things under control.

6 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Thwarted mid-post. 

Good to see you posting again, though I wish the circumstances were better! Guess it's something to do during lockdown. It's that or rewatch Benny Hill episodes...

5 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Nice to be back, Ran. Probably! Though it looks like my chances of being called a Nazi haven't lessened noticeably in the meantime!

!! 

Nice to have you back. The last Ashes was not the same without you here. 

Things at work have gone nuts. Have gone from 3 days ago talking shit to a postdoc in the lab "wouldn't it be cool if we could test these samples we're generating?" , to now looking pretty sure to have secured $30k+ in additional funding for the project, with multiple interstate collaborators coming on board.  My head is spinning trying to get everything costed and a basic research plan into place.

And also we're now apparently doing vital virus related research so going on the list of labs that can't be shut down.

53 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Not sure if this has been posted before, but 300+ people in Iran died because they thought methanol was a cure for the virus. That's mind boggling, although I'm not sure what the exact figure is and how much we can trust Iranian media outlets.

I saw this a while back. At the time I was reading about it the figure who had died of alcohol poisoning as a result was actually higher than the number of deaths as a result of the virus. That's probably not the case now but still a frightening number

Ugh. A coworker just came up to me, put her head right next to mine and started touching the documents I was working on. Had to chew her out because she keeps going right up to people.

At the very least she needs to be suspended for a week. I’d personally fire her as she’s a bad employee anyways.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Call the spade that is digging our graves the spade that is digging our graves.

Lots and lots and LOTS of spades out there, starting with Jim Jones squatting in the oval office, BJ wherever he sits, and one fracking politico and biz guy after another.  Open it all! Die to Save MY Big Monies. They have ALL BEEN PROPAGATING THIS.  What else do you call it except a spade?

Can we stop calling Jim Jones?  It's honestly a disservice to Jim Jones.  Call him Trump or POTUS or Donald or even the pathetic "45" if you must, but this name calling is as inaccurate as it is childish.  He's a loathsome person but for the sake of clarity can we at least use his name or position?

Jones, while a mass murderer, actually did a lot of good in the early years of Peoples Temple before he OD'd on power, sex, and amphetamines, and went off the deep end.  

6 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Plus Jim's progeny hit a great game-winner in a 13 over 4 upset of USD over UConn in the NCAA tournament.  

Can the Bogwan claim as much?  I think not.  

I grew up next to the Uconn campus and Ray Allen and Richard Hamilton would come to my middle school basketball pep rallies and put on a dunk fest.  In 2008 I was living in San Diego and ate a lot of crow over that game.  

What’s it like in China now?

Activity is picking up. More people are out in the streets. People are returning back to work. This country’s been cooped up indoors for more than two months. You can see it, you know—people are smiling when they take their face masks off for a minute.

Everyone is still wearing the masks. There’s still a lot of precautions. There’s a lot of restrictions on the mobility of people’s movements. Everywhere you go—entering a building, a bank, a restaurant, a store—you have to register your personal details. You’ve got to get your temperature checked. In some cases, for housing and office compounds, only those who are allowed to be there with a special pass can come in and out. This is still on a large scale across the country.

A Reporter in China Explains What Life Is Like There Now

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/03/china-coronavirus-life-now-american-correspondent.html

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Can we stop calling Jim Jones?  It's honestly a disservice to Jim Jones.  Call him Trump or POTUS or Donald or even the pathetic "45" if you must, but this name calling is as inaccurate as it is childish.  He's a loathsome person but for the sake of clarity can we at least use his name or position?

Yeah I gotta admit when Zorral started calling Trump Jim Jones it confused me.  I was like "huh?  There's another Jim Jones around?  You'd think if that's your name and you went into politics you'd go by James Jones or something."

OT - but I remember reading..a few years ago now, that Vince Gilligan was working on a Jim Jones project for HBO.  Anyone know any progress update on that, or if it's dead?

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Jones, while a mass murderer, actually did a lot of good in the early years of Peoples Temple before he OD'd on power, sex, and amphetamines, and went off the deep end.  

He's running a death cult of which deaths he's so targeted me so you don't get to say that he is not.

And, then, what should we call Johnson & Johnson? from whom the Sacklers etc. got their ingredients to make the opioid catastrophe? Note -- you do;t get to say nuances of grey.

so all those oxycodone manufacturers were being supplied with the 
essential ingredient by johnson + johnson, who gave farmers in tasmania 
mercedeses to grow supercharged opium poppies . . .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/business/opioid-crisis-johnson-and-johnson-tasmania-poppy/

Archived