Who Pays the Coronaman? - Covid #8

Tywin Manderly

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Jones, while a mass murderer, actually did a lot of good in the early years of Peoples Temple before he OD'd on power, sex, and amphetamines, and went off the deep end.  

Funny how common this pattern is. I'm blanking on the name, but years ago I caught a very interesting documentary on Muammar Gaddafi. In the beginning it did seem like he wanted to build a lot of school and hospitals and modernize Libya. He had very bid ambitions for the country, but over time and due to a lot of failures he just went full crazy dictator.

Also, you'd be shocked to see that one of the ugliest old men ever was rather handsome as a youth. It reminded me of the first time I saw the famous photo of young Stalin. Hell, even a young Castro was kind of handsome. Didn't realize he and Liam Neeson looked near identical at one point.  

41 minutes ago, Zorral said:

He's running a death cult of which deaths he's so targeted me so you don't get to say that he is not.

And, then, what should we call Johnson & Johnson? from whom the Sacklers etc. got their ingredients to make the opioid catastrophe? Note -- you do;t get to say nuances of grey.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/business/opioid-crisis-johnson-and-johnson-tasmania-poppy/

Wtf does this post have to do with not calling Trump Jim Jones? 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, you'd be shocked to see that one of the ugliest old men ever was rather handsome as a youth. It reminded me of the first time I saw the famous photo of young Stalin. Hell, even a young Castro was kind of handsome. Didn't realize he and Liam Neeson looked near identical at one point.  

Methinks someone has a thing for young dictators...

26 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

51 doctors have died in Italy as of today.

Terrible. I hazard to guess what the nurse fatalities would be alongside this.

It goes to show that a region's healthcare limbo bar will begin to lower when more of the 'curve' remains above it.  

46 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Wtf does this post have to do with not calling Trump Jim Jones? 

He is a Jim Jones so that's what it has to do with it.  The opioid crisis was about killing people for profit. So is this.

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

He is a Jim Jones so that's what it has to do with it.  The opioid crisis was about killing people for profit. So is this.

Um, this is neither here nor there, but Jim Jones' mass murder in Jonestown - which was promptly followed by him killing himself - did not yield Jones any profits.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

He's running a death cult of which deaths he's so targeted me so you don't get to say that he is not.

And, then, what should we call Johnson & Johnson? from whom the Sacklers etc. got their ingredients to make the opioid catastrophe? Note -- you do;t get to say nuances of grey.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/business/opioid-crisis-johnson-and-johnson-tasmania-poppy/

Peoples Temple wasn't a death cult and Jones was 100x smarter than Trump.  They share a certain addiction to power and domination, but calling him Jim Jones is just such a lousy comparison in so many ways.  I mean even if you want to talk about death cults (which despite the end result, I'd argue Peoples Temple was not) there are better options.  Call him Aum Shurikio.  Or better yet, call him by his name or position.

Far be it from me to make aesthetic judgments on posting style, I mean I make ad absurdium arguments regularly and don't have much posting discipline and curse like a drunken news anchor, but the nicknames are getting a bit much and they aren't even making sense anymore.  And it diminishes and distracts from the many criticisms you present.  

52 minutes ago, DMC said:

Um, this is neither here nor there, but Jim Jones' mass murder in Jonestown - which was promptly followed by him killing himself - did not yield Jones any profits.

This reminds me of a long form interview Congresswoman Speier gave about what it was like being shot five times and left for dead on the tarmac. She didn't receive aid for nearly an entire day. 

*mod hat* While the Jim Jones story is an interesting, if disturbing one with a horrorific ending and while it does have some relevence in a discussion of leaders who develop a cult of personality around them,  its getting rather far off topic.   I'm going to ask that we please steer things back more to the topic at hand.   If a few of you strongly want to continue that particular discussion at greater length, either give it its own thread or do so by PM.  Thank You */mod hat*

Hmmm, don't wanna jinx it, but according to the doc I'm outa the woods and should be back to normal in about a couple of days (presumably with immunity?).
The thing about the bloody Covid-19 is that having trouble breathing is fucking scary so it's easy to have panick attacks (which can send you to the ER). I wasn't afraid to take anxiolytics to deal with that and would recommend a very small dose before going to bed (doctors and pharmacists seem to be all for it in my experience). 1g of paracetamol 3 times a day will help with the aching and various unpleasant sensations (that tickling in the lungs, urgh), as well as vitamins (tablets combining zinc, magnesium and vitamin C seem to be the rage).
Also, having to quit smoking was a pain in the arse though I'm not even a heavy smoker to begin with (1 to 3 cigs a day, already cut to 1 when I saw Italy got hit). Guys, if you smoke, quit now, it doesn't get easier when you're sick, nicotine is a devil. Of course, weed is perfect for confinement, but perhaps consider switching to edibles for a couple of weeks... ?
Anyway, if you're under 50 and have none of the problematic conditions prior to infection it is just like a mild case of the flu. Rest, stay hydrated, and do everything necessary not to contaminate others, since you can easily kill people with a weaker immune system than yours.

Archived