Who Pays the Coronaman? - Covid #8

Tywin Manderly

C-19 germs are lurking on those keypads when you're entering pin numbers. 

Do you have latex gloves?  Can you get them? Often one can do pin numbers, elevator numbers etc. with them on.  Carry a disposable wipe to wipe off the machine first, and your card after, and then your glove.  At home first thing after taking off your shoes, etc. wash the gloves while still on your hands with detergent and hot water, and then your hands without the gloves in soap and hot water.  Then start washing your purchases, if necessary.

1 hour ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Absolutely, because my spouse and I working from home with our 2 year old son running around is basically spring break, right? However, I have never owned and iPhone, so no, I did not write that on an iPhone.  But your snarky response is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Well, in fairness, your post did sound like short-form phone texting. I mean, "the rona"? I was going to ask if that was a new sandwich being offered at Subway.

30 minutes ago, Zorral said:

C-19 germs are lurking on those keypads when you're entering pin numbers. 

Do you have latex gloves?  Can you get them? Often one can do pin numbers, elevator numbers etc. with them on.  Carry a disposable wipe to wipe off the machine first, and your card after, and then your glove.  At home first thing after taking off your shoes, etc. wash the gloves while still on your hands with detergent and hot water, and then your hands without the gloves in soap and hot water.  Then start washing your purchases, if necessary.

Is this really sustainable? 

8 hours ago, felice said:

Because those are possible death numbers for Covid-19 with action taken to reduce the spread. If it had been completely ignored instead, the death toll could be 10-20 million.

Seems a tad high.  The most recent fatality rates taking into account how many cases with mild or no symptoms are testing positive for coronavirus is .66%.  My guess is when the dust settles, that number's going to decrease even more because I think we are underestimating the number of people who have contracted the virus but who don't display significant symptoms.  I also think that's on the high side, because some of the increases in the fatality numbers are due to the fact that certain regions are seeing their medical infrasctructure overwhelmed, and people who would ordinarily be able to be treated successfully are not receiving the care they ordinarily would under usual circumstances.

But going with the .66% figure for now, and assuming that everyone in the United States contracts the virus you would be looking at a little over 2 million deaths.

Once again, just to remind everyone, the CDC and WHO organizations are primarily concerned with the impact that this virus will have on the ability for hospitals to handle the extra influx of patients.  The vast majority of those are going to be older with pre existing health conditions.  The hospitals don't have the equipment and the personnel to handle a huge influx of people all at once.  And because this is a new virus no one had developed any antibodies yet.

It's highly probable that over the course of the year many of us may come down with this virus and will be just fine even without any medical intervention.

4 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Is this still true?  Might depend on where one sets their cutoff for "vast majority.  But it sure seems like this was very much the claim in the early days but that as time has gone on it appears to be less heavily slanted towards the older than the early narrative suggested.

I've seen some recent suggestion that one of the pre-existing conditions that's a risk factor is, in addition to some of the oft-mentioned things like being immuno-suppressed or having bad lungs, is obesity.  If that's true would that not have potentially enormous implications for why some numbers could be looking worse post-China?  

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I am assuming that despite all of their economic growth that there's still much less obesity per capita in place Wuhan than in a place like NYC or London.  

It’s still very much true.  The older you are the fatality rate goes significantly higher.  Of course there are cases of younger people being killed just significantly lower.  It might seem higher because the media highlights the cases of those who are younger dying from the virus, but comparatively speaking it’s still much less likely.

Diabetes seems to be one of the preexisting conditions that also increase the fatality rate, which often goes hand to hand with obesity.

48 minutes ago, Loge said:

There is one thing that makes me wonder about the UK figures. According to Worldometer, the ratio of deaths to total closed cases is above 90%. Can that really be true? Or does it indicate any peculiarity of the way the UK counts these cases?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

It’s quite high in a lot of places, it speaks more to the time it takes to discharge someone with the virus. Also, what few tests have been done on those not hospitalised, I’d be surprised if they’d followed up with another test to see if they’re clear. There’s no real incentive to do so when tests are limited, other than to make this graph look better.

4 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

I also think that's on the high side, because some of the increases in the fatality numbers are due to the fact that certain regions are seeing their medical infrasctructure overwhelmed, and people who would ordinarily be able to be treated successfully are not receiving the care they ordinarily would under usual circumstances.

Those regions would include the US, if nothing was done to limit the spread; and where the medical infrastructure is overwhelmed, the death rate is going to be much higher than 0.66%. Since the US isn't completely ignoring the pandemic, the infection rate is going to be substantially lower than 100%, but it seems likely that it's still going to be bad enough to overwhelm the hospitals :(

12 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

I want to know where people are getting those mysterious "wipes" that we are supposed to use to wipe things down.

If you can’t get wipes just do the old fashioned way of spitting on your hand and rubbing it in.:)

13 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I just checked worldometer, dear lord, what is going on in the US? They have over the double amount of infected as China.
And Italy and Spain... my god. If we ever get to travel again, my first trip will be to Italy to help to rebuild tourism with what little my trip can contribute :( 

Over here, we will probably hit 1000 by the weekend. Our partial lockdown resulted in more people being out on the streets because the order specified all the things that are allowed and now people feel justified. The bloody nail salon reopened(!). National news insists experts do see the flattening of the curve. I don’t know. In terms of closed cases, we have a 30% mortality rate. They always make it a priority to meticulously specify that the newly deceased was a very old person and/or had (often multiple) pre-existing, serve chronic conditions. 

Oh and if there wasn’t enough irony in this pandemic ordeal already, guess who sent us the first foreign fund? The American billionaire about whom we write our conspiracy theories. I hope a lot of people feel incredibly stupid right now. 

George Soros?

3 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

It’s still very much true.  The older you are the fatality rate goes significantly higher.  Of course there are cases of younger people being killed just significantly lower.  It might seem higher because the media highlights the cases of those who are younger dying from the virus, but comparatively speaking it’s still much less likely.

Yep. New study confirms it:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/new-coronavirus-study-reveals-increased-risks-from-middle-age

Our government website says they will publish the age, sex and pre-existing condition of the deceased. I have a feeling that this action might make people even more daring and dismissive of the jeopardy the virus poses to everybody. 

And I’m also afraid that we will never be able to contain the virus like Hubei province or Shanghai or Hong Kong are said to have contained it. It’ll just spread out and we’ll be stuck with the situation till next year. 

Anyway, could somebody please explain to me how it is scientifically possible that a virus we eliminate through lockdowns returns in a next season? Or could it be a statistical matter, that there will always be one symptomless carrier? I have no medical or natural science background, and I have even forgotten most of my grammar school biology knowledge. 

19 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

How is it misleading when it literally states what the figure is? 

You have no evidence whatsoever that the real figure is 'significantly higher'. 

The ONS has published the first of its new weekly bulletin which will include all instances where Covid-19 was mentioned on the death certificate and will include non-hospital deaths.

A total of 210 deaths in England and Wales that occurred up to and including 20 March (and which were registered up to 25 March) had Covid-19 mentioned on the death certificate, according to new figures from the Office for National Statistics. 

This compares with 170 coronavirus-related deaths reported by NHS England and Public Health Wales up to and including March 20.

Source: The Guardian. You are welcome. 

3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

It’s quite high in a lot of places, it speaks more to the time it takes to discharge someone with the virus. Also, what few tests have been done on those not hospitalised, I’d be surprised if they’d followed up with another test to see if they’re clear. There’s no real incentive to do so when tests are limited, other than to make this graph look better.

Systematic mass testing is recommended by virtually every expert in the field. Early detection helps breaking up infection chains, especially when you catch the „healthy“ ones with only mild symptoms. This helps to avoid the spread to the more vulnerable people. Exactly what South Korea did, exactly what Germany is doing right now. The reason why the UK tests so few is very simple: years upon years of underfinancing the health care and medical sector has led to the UK lacking laboratory and staff capacity. Be honest. Which party has been in charge the last 10 years? 

The chickens come home to roost and people die. Sponsored by the Brexit liars. 

If the UK runs out of ventilator capacity even though they have been asked by the EU to participate in a common buying scheme (earliest January 31st), then very tough questions have to be asked. 

Archived