Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tywin Manderly

Who Pays the Coronaman? - Covid #8

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Ormond said:

The reports on people who died at home not being counted in the figures are scary. 

The very first death in Nebraska was a man who died at home. And his death was not counted as being COVID-19 until four or five days later -- his family at first attributed it to a heart condition. I suppose that means it was discovered through an autopsy. But Nebraska is still way down on the curve. If Omaha gets like NYC or Detroit, they probably won't have the resources to check out cases like that.

I’m a bit worried for the Midwest in general. Every morning my work email gets an update of the number of cases in MN and WI and the number of deaths. Looking at the three emails, the cases are jumping a coup[le hungered per say, but I think the testing is still minimal. WI seems to be about a week behind MI, and MN is probably a few days behind WI. It’s only a matter of time until it gets to Omaha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

They’ve acknowledged this and will be realising a weekly ‘deaths in the community’ figure. It’s really hard to judge how many will be included in this, if they never went to hospital then you’d assume they were never tested? And if they died, did they test posthumously? 
 

Also, not everything is a conspiracy ... they worded it like that because that’s exactly what the figure is.

The last sentence is ridiculous and you know it as long as you are capable of rational thought. Of course the official wording is correct (from a „legal point of view“). But that’s besides the point. It is misleading. People read that statement and think „aha so many died of C19“. Newspapers are picking up those figures etc. But the simple truth is: the real figures are significantly higher. 
 

Example: in Germany we had some tragic cases where many people died in nursing homes (IRC 12 in one case). According to the above UK logic not a single one of those deaths would have counted. But hey we are speaking of a ruling party whose Primeminister rode the populism wave with „350 million weekly for the EU and not the NHS“. Sorry, those people have no credibility left, at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Arakan said:

The last sentence is ridiculous and you know it as long as you are capable of rational thought. Of course the official wording is correct (from a „legal point of view“). But that’s besides the point. It is misleading. People read that statement and think „aha so many died of C19“. Newspapers are picking up those figures etc. But the simple truth is: the real figures are significantly higher. 
 

 

How is it misleading when it literally states what the figure is? 

You have no evidence whatsoever that the real figure is 'significantly higher'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The UK has been requiring/encouraging contactless card payments only for a while now for this reason. 

Is chip and Pin still not used widely in the U. S? And do you have contactless card payments? 

I know the bank I am with has increased the contactless limit to £45. I didn't properly read the email but it might have said other banks had too. 

Ironically, my card no longer works for contactless payments for some reason. Have sufficient funds and these weren't large payments (ranging from £6-18) so will need to ring the bank to see what's up.

Try doing a transaction and entering your pin then on your next transaction use contactless again.

My bank seems to make you enter your pin after you’ve done a certain number of payments using contactless/Applepay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

Try doing a transaction and entering your pin then on your next transaction use contactless again.

My bank seems to make you enter your pin after you’ve done a certain number of payments using contactless/Applepay.

It works with my Pin but even after doing that the contactless doesn't work. It only started happening last week.

 

I believe tighter security measures were introduced last year sometime where you now need to put your PIN in after so many contactless transactions. I think six maybe? Came across this info when trying to find out the issue with my card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ugh, the numbers coming out of Detroit are not good. Haven't seen an update from Chicago, but it can't be good there either. I keep seeing reports that the Midwest is about to take a beating, so I'm sure Minneapolis-St. Paul will start looking bleak soon too.

Does anyone even READ my posts??  :P   I quoted a Detroit Free Press news article that basically said Detroit was "burning." 

As my husband and I are definitely in the at-risk group, you might say I'm a wee bit nervous.

 

And, yeah, a large number of people do use plastic for purchases, but there're still things that require cash to be handled.  

ETA:  C-19 germs are lurking on those keypads when you're entering pin numbers.

I feel like I'm spending my downtime thinking of ways the Covid's gonna get me. :( 

Edited by Tears of Lys
Thought of more stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Arakan said:

Why always China? Fight your bias. 

Tom Cotton certainly has an anti-China bias...one comparable to Trump's, which I certainly don't share hence my hedge saying I hate to potentially be on his side.  I appreciate that I got several thoughtful posts after posting that.  And I don't relish participating in any kind of any piling on of China.

That said, China's system of government still warrants special scrutiny if you ask me which has nothing to do with the Chinese people write large.  Take for example their treatment of the whistle-blowing doctor who tried to warn them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

 

ETA:  C-19 germs are lurking on those keypads when you're entering pin numbers.

I feel like I'm spending my downtime thinking of ways the Covid's gonna get me. :( 

I went grocery shopping this morning, I stood in a line-up spaced out essentially by grocery cart lengths. Luckily they called out for seniors to go to the head of the line. Very limited entries.

When I got home I left the jugs of Tide and vinegar (I wash things that could get musty, like towels, with a cup of vinegar) and the 6 pack of tissue on the porch and headed for the bathroom, where I washed everything I bought in soapy water, or wiped down some things with a Lysol wipe, or transferred items to plastic containers (the strawberries, the cherry tomatoes, the mushrooms) or went to the kitchen and cut off packaging and let stuff drop into the sink (the cauliflower). The packaging has been dropped into my recycling box and then the box emptied into the recycling bin outside. Also, wiped down my telephone, because I used it to register my points card, and my car keys. Oh, and my debit card and my card case.

Then I took a couple of wipes and went outside to my car, wiping down the car door handle, the steering wheel, the turn signal, the shifter handle, the turn signal, the interior door handle, the button for the push start and the quarter I used in the shopping cart, because I wore latex gloves while in the store and who knows what I picked up.

On my way back into the house I wiped down the porch door handle, the screen door handle, the front door handle and then stepped in and wiped the door knob inside. Back to the bathroom, wipe down the faucet parts and the interior of the sink.

This routine is why my trips to the grocery store have been cut back sharply.

The stuff on the porch can either stay there a couple of days, or I will fill the sink with an inch of water and some Lysol and I will wash all the bottles. The tissue boxes can stay there for a few days.

I started this routine after reading this post by someone who had a bone marrow transplant and worked very hard to make sure they didn't die during the months needed to build up their immune system.

https://medium.com/@amcarter/i-had-no-immune-system-for-months-after-my-bone-marrow-transplant-1b097f16040c

Edited by Fragile Bird
sp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Does anyone even READ my posts??  :P   I quoted a Detroit Free Press news article that basically said Detroit was "burning." 

As my husband and I are definitely in the at-risk group, you might say I'm a wee bit nervous.

 

And, yeah, a large number of people do use plastic for purchases, but there're still things that require cash to be handled.  

ETA:  C-19 germs are lurking on those keypads when you're entering pin numbers.

I feel like I'm spending my downtime thinking of ways the Covid's gonna get me. :( 

Getting gas probably has me the most worried. No way they’re cleaning those handles and screens with any regularity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I went grocery shopping this morning, I stood in a line-up spaced out essentially by grocery cart lengths. Luckily they called out for seniors to go to the head of the line. Very limited entries.

When I got home I left the jugs of Tide and vinegar (I wash things that could get musty, like towels, with a cup of vinegar) and the 6 pack of tissue on the porch and headed for the bathroom, where I washed everything I bought in soapy water, or wiped down some things with a Lysol wipe, or transferred items to plastic containers (the strawberries, the cherry tomatoes, the mushrooms) or went to the kitchen and cut off packaging and let stuff drop into the sink (the cauliflower). The packaging has been dropped into my recycling box and then the box emptied into the recycling bin outside. Also, wiped down my telephone, because I used it to register my points card, and my car keys. Oh, and my debit card and my card case.

Then I took a couple of wipes and went outside to my car, wiping down the car door handle, the steering wheel, the turn signal, the shifter handle, the turn signal, the interior door handle, the button for the push start and the quarter I used in the shopping cart, because I wore latex gloves while in the store and who knows what I picked up.

On my way back into the house I wiped down the porch door handle, the screen door handle, the front door handle and then stepped in and wiped the door knob inside. Back to the bathroom, wipe down the faucet parts and the interior of the sink.

This routine is why my trips to the grocery store have been cut back sharply.

The stuff on the porch can either stay there a couple of days, or I will fill the sink with an inch of water and some Lysol and I will wash all the bottles. The tissue boxes can stay there for a few days.

I started this routine after reading this post by someone who had a bone marrow transplant and worked very hard to make sure they didn't die during the months needed to build up their immune system.

https://medium.com/@amcarter/i-had-no-immune-system-for-months-after-my-bone-marrow-transplant-1b097f16040c

A woman after my own heart.  :love: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Trump now thinks 100,000 deaths means we would have done ok. What a change from 15 cases that will go down to zero. Well, at least he backed away from reopening the country on Easter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ran said:

ETA: Have no problem believing that in Italy and France there are excess deaths not being counted as covid because of lack of testing and other factors. Retrospective analysis will clarify this. I don't believe there is any widespread governmental effort at a national evel in those countries to deliberately downplay numbers... well, not in France anyways. :P

I wouldn't be so sure. Macron's neo-liberal government was squeezing the life out of the public healthcare system and had been facing strikes for a year (dozens of ER services were on strike, nurses and doctors demonstrating... etc) when the pandemic hit. The former health minister (who'd left the ministry to campaign for mayor of Paris) also confessed that she had warned of the danger weeks before the government did anything about it but was overruled by Macron and PM Philippe. It was also revealed that the country had both plans and equipment to face just such a pandemic after 2006... Now, because of budget cuts hospitals are lacking equipment and are turning to citizens for various items (in my gaming club a nurse was asking people with 3D printers to print parts for respirators, I saw paramedics asking for protective gear... etc). The situation on the ground is described as hellish by professionals and doctors are highly critical of official decisions...
Basically the government is being severely blamed for its response to the crisis and it was already quite unpopular to begin with... It has every interest to downplay numbers. The difference with China, of course, is that it won't get away with much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

A woman after my own heart.  :love: 

Every time I hear the news out of Michigan I worry about you, my sweet! Take care of yourself and Mr.Tears! :love:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife’s a neural theatre nurse (in UK) and has prepped a bag in case she is in contact with an infected patient, in which case she’ll move in my mum’s (who is at my sister’s for next few weeks).

She says they’re expecting it to get bad. The masks theybhave are meant to be disposed of after 1 hour. On realising they would run out, that was upped to 4 hours, then 8. Supply is dictating guidance rather than the other way round.

Also they had to hide their clean scrub supply box as the ward staff were stealing the scrubs from fear of their uniforms getting infected...

She also noted last week she had two attempted suicides to deal with, perhaps an increase due to covid fears.

Yesterday in my supermarket I saw a guy going around with latex gloves and a small mask on. Fine except he kept touching his face, adjusting his mask (which failed to cover his nose most of the time).

Still waiting for a work laptop so I can work from home (currently off anywau as immune compromised. Off those meds so may be immune normal soon. Blood test this week

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arakan said:

The last sentence is ridiculous and you know it as long as you are capable of rational thought. Of course the official wording is correct (from a „legal point of view“). But that’s besides the point. It is misleading.

I honestly wouldn’t know how else to phrase it, there’s no sleight of hand, they’ve just openly said that that’s the figure for hospitals. The impression I’m getting is that pandemics are incredibly difficult to manage without adding a cold and calculating political motive. I’m not saying it’s entirely absent, but I just don’t think anyone’s got time to figure out how to smuggle numbers inside clever wording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting podcast from Lawfare, talking to nine people in various parts of the world discussing their experiences with what's going on in their countries in relation to coronavirus. A rather droll MEP  from Poland, Radek Sikorski, mentioned how his son had to cross the German-Polish border on foot and the apparent consequent quarantine order he received... and then notes that while there's an app you can voluntarily download that tell the police where you are at all times (rather than having them come round and visit on a dialy basis), he himself doesn't use it because he believes the ruling Law and Justice party  bought the Pegasus spyware system and he suspects he's a subject of interest, thereby making him suspect they already have his location data anyway. Obviously, he himself is not a member of the Law and Justice party, so... take that with a grain of salt. But it was amusingly put.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember: South Korea and the US has the first confirmed case of Covid19 on the same day:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Italy has recorded its lowest number of new cases in nearly two weeks. It is possible therefore that Italy is reaching its peak number of fatalities/day (at least for this first wave). 

ETA: Deleting references to Spanish data that was incorrect. 

Edited by Paxter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As to what are 'western governments' one may wish to recall Hungary's is then a 'western government.'

The haters in D.C. of 'western-style governments' continue even in this very moment to assiduously beaver away at getting rid of 'Obama care.'

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Remember: South Korea and the US has the first confirmed case of Covid19 on the same day:

 

 

 

South Korea should be proud and the US should be ashamed.

 

Fukuyama has a piece on the Atlantic's free COVID section here that's somewhat US-centric but gets into systems of government during crises that touches on China and other systems too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...