Is it a vain hope that the show runners for Amazons upcoming Middle-earth TV series will take the same amount of care as Peter Jackson did for the Lord of the Rings?

Mwm

For example: Was watching the appendices for the movies and upon hearing they added lights in front of Cate Blanchett, behind the camera, to give a constellation like cast to her pupils, because of the characters description in the book. And I just thought to myself, there's no way they're going to do that shit with this new girl they cast for the part. Also the filters Peter Jackson used with the video editing software to give the production a kind of fairy tale-dreamlike quality.

But main concern would be the miniatures used to give the locations of Middle-earth a real lived in feel. I can't see these people going to the trouble with a TV show.

3 hours ago, Mwm said:

For example: Was watching the appendices for the movies and upon hearing they added lights in front of Cate Blanchett, behind the camera, to give a constellation like cast to her pupils, because of the characters description in the book. And I just thought to myself, there's no way they're going to do that shit with this new girl they cast for the part. Also the filters Peter Jackson used with the video editing software to give the production a kind of fairy tale-dreamlike quality.

"Fairy tale-dreamlike" is exactly the description I would use for the Green Scrubba-Bubble Ghosts that cleared out the siege of Minas Tirith.

After Peter Jackson shit all over the characters of Denethor and Faramir, and turned Aragorn's journey from earning it over decades of unglamorous struggle to some pointy eared tree fairy lobbed a scimitar at me, it's fair to say this thread is a waste of time, even for socially isolating nerds.

2 hours ago, Mwm said:

Is it a vain hope for you to fuck off?

Dont make yourself look worse. Just have a laugh at yourself and move on. 

To answer the original post I love the films, I loved every tiny detail, and the passion they had for the project. Except legolas, who was ridiculous. 

If Amazon screw it up I cant imagine it will be for lack of effort, this is their chance to hugely showcase the prime TV brand. 

They have the budget to make it good so it depends on the passion and talent of the director and cast. Peter Jackson is a really talented director and this was a passion project for him. When it came to the hobbit he didn't want to make it and it showed.

I think the LOTR movies are a once in a lifetime event and a milestone in movie making that I don’t think is ever going to be repeated.

SOMEHOW Jackson and co managed to make 3 movies back to back, make them on the whole very well, make them accessible to a general audience without completely alienating book nerds. 

Having repeatedly watched the director commentaries of the movies it’s so obvious how much they loved the books and how much time and effort they went into making everything work. It was a monumental effort backed up by a passion for the material.

You won’t ever see that again in movies. The Hobbit is a great example of what could have gone wrong and how most Blockbuster movies get made now... rushed, problems behind the scenes, desperation to make money and business decisions influencing events. Jackson didn’t like the book much and was dropped in to fix a mess and couldn’t do it.

The good thing is however is that TV is where most of the creativity is happening these days, and risks are also being taken. That gives me some optimism for the tv show, but at the same time I don’t imagine there will be the same level of passion on hand behind the scenes.

I haven’t been keeping up with the production but if they are trying to tell new or less fleshed out stories then I bet they struggle.

Everyone involved in the production was sent home though, right? With no date mentioned when they might reconvene. I wouldn't get your hopes up for the series not to be affected by this in the long term. We saw the impact of the writers strike on plenty of shows...

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Everyone involved in the production was sent home though, right? With no date mentioned when they might reconvene. I wouldn't get your hopes up for the series not to be affected by this in the long term. We saw the impact of the writers strike on plenty of shows...

I don't think it's a huge problem because they'd barely started. They had some dudes traipsing around New Zealand back in November filming background plates and full-on shooting had been underway for maybe a week when the shutdown order came in. They were also only going to be filming for 6-8 weeks before taking a two-month break anyway.

If anything, it may help the show because now they have more time to revise the scripts and complete the scripts for the entire filming bloc (covering two seasons) before they get back into production. My main concern about the project was the writing time available so having more time to finesse that is a good thing.

Long titles are a privilege, conditional upon them being good. For example, when I received lowered marks in High School writing class for titling my paper 

Upon Consideration of Hobbits; And The Natural State of an Unnatural World Without Which the Natural Seems Withholding

That was a travesty of injustice. But the poster in question, shorten it up. Make it punchy.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

What's Snyder got to do with it (got to do with it)?

According to a strong rumour at the time, Warner Brothers threatened to hire Zack Snyder to direct the Hobbit trilogy if a reluctant Jackson didn't play ball after Del Toro quit and get back in the directing chair. Apparently that threat was enough to get Jackson to sign on (although, if true, it was probably a bluff as Snyder was already committed to Superman hate-crime Man in Steel).

Archived