Winterfell Will Go Boom!

Lost Melnibonean

The saga will end where it began. The final battle in the War for the Dawn will be fought at Winterfell. The forces of men and even a dragon or two (at least one dragon will die as a result of the second main conflict) will not be enough to stop the Others and their wights without the lost magic of the Children of the Forest. A volcanic eruption might do the trick, and the wee ones know how to affect such cataclysms. 

Catelyn's bath was always hot and steaming, and her walls warm to the touch. The warmth reminded her of Riverrun, of days in the sun with Lysa and Edmure, but Ned could never abide the heat. The Starks were made for the cold, he would tell her, and she would laugh and tell him in that case they had certainly built their castle in the wrong place.

Catelyn II, Game 6

Bran is going to tap the old magic and blow Winterfell to wipe out the  cold ones. 

Winterfell will have to fall in order for the Others to advance farther south. The problem is not serious if only the far north is attacked by the Others.  The fall of Winterfell will happen early in the Others' campaign.  They will make it at least as far south as the trident.  The trident is where the final battle against the Others will take place.

5 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The saga will end where it began. The final battle in the War for the Dawn will be fought at Winterfell. The forces of men and even a dragon or two (at least one dragon will die as a result of the second main conflict) will not be enough to stop the Others and their wights without the lost magic of the Children of the Forest. A volcanic eruption might do the trick, and the wee ones know how to affect such cataclysms. 

Catelyn II, Game 6

Bran is going to tap the old magic and blow Winterfell to wipe out the  cold ones. 

I've just started a reread to get me through the social distancing.  I'll keep an eye out for any new, or old, ideas on this.  The idea of a volcanic occurrence at Winterfell isn't something I had really considered, in relation to the Others or The Children.  I wonder what ideas that new reread will give me.  I am passed my first Cat chapter and couldn't help but notice the 'outsider' feeling she had in relation to the North, the Godswood and it's heart tree.   

7 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Catelyn II, Game 6

Not sure how the dragon could have three heads if one of the dragons died before the final battle. Without dragons there won't be any dragon heads, just dragon droppings, perhaps.

And while battles will be necessary - and there may be magical ways to shield Winterfell from the Others - I doubt that a battle will end the war. There will just come more wights and Others. Chances are about zero that they are stupid enough to all be at the same place. Why should they behave like the Lich King from the show? They knew how that travesty ended, so they are not going to make that mistake.

1 hour ago, Dany's Red Comet said:

Winterfell will have to fall in order for the Others to advance farther south. The problem is not serious if only the far north is attacked by the Others.  The fall of Winterfell will happen early in the Others' campaign.  They will make it at least as far south as the trident.  The trident is where the final battle against the Others will take place.

I think the red, green, and blue Trident will host the climactic battle of the second main conflict. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Not sure how the dragon could have three heads if one of the dragons died before the final battle. Without dragons there won't be any dragon heads, just dragon droppings, perhaps.

And while battles will be necessary - and there may be magical ways to shield Winterfell from the Others - I doubt that a battle will end the war. There will just come more wights and Others. Chances are about zero that they are stupid enough to all be at the same place. Why should they behave like the Lich King from the show? They knew how that travesty ended, so they are not going to make that mistake.

Wait, you're saying the Others learned from the show?

9 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Wait, you're saying the Others learned from the show?

Sure. It is confirmed that George watched the shit show till the end, so his characters all know what to avoid ;-). And he does, too. It is impossible to assume that this didn't have any effect on how things will unfold.

For George there is a reason why there are three dragons in the books and not just one or two. He knew what to do with them the moment he introduced them. The show would have been told what he wanted to with them, too, but they didn't do that. That's why they killed them the way they did.

GRRM often pulls switcheroos with these sorts of things and instead of Bran the Builder's Winter-fell, I think we'll see it come to a head at Bran the Builder's mysterious (Winter) Storm's End. It seems very unlikely that the Others never make it beyond half-way through the North for a lot of reasons. My personal headcanon atm has Stannis who knows Storm's End better than anyone figuring out a lot of things once he gets familiar with Winterfell and has Theon (and Bran) to show him around.

Storm's End, the Daynes, the Hightowers, Highgarden's Three Singers, Harrenhal and the Gods Eye, Summerhall, Dorne's history with the Rhoynar, the Citadel and just so much detail about Southern politics in general along with how GRRM has played his cards close to the chest on these has me thinking things will end up here somehow. Though I wouldn't be surprised if what you said came to pass in the middle somewhere - I agree that hot spring and possible volcano will be big somehow. It would be a good way to allow people time to escape if they're trapped.

TWOW

Spoiler

The Arianne chapter approaching Storm's End has me all but convinced that things come to a head in that area.

On 3/29/2020 at 11:49 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Catelyn II, Game 6

Bran would choose differently.  He's a Stark and would choose to protect the home he loves even if it meant a battle victory for the white walkers.  The Starks are selfish because they put family above all. 

On 3/29/2020 at 11:49 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

I think there's foreshadowing for the opposite.

Theon trudged through the storm until his arms and legs were caked with snow and his hands and feet had gone numb from cold, then climbed to the battlements of the inner wall again. Up here, a hundred feet high, a little wind was blowing, stirring the snow. All the crenels had filled up. Theon had to punch through a wall of snow to make a hole . . . only to find he could not see beyond the moat. Of the outer wall, nothing remained but a vague shadow and a few dim lights floating in the dark.
The world is gone. King's Landing, Riverrun, Pyke, and the Iron Islands, all the Seven Kingdoms, every place that he had ever known, every place he had ever read about or dreamed of, all gone. Only Winterfell remained. (A Ghost in Winterfell, ADwD 46)

2 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I think there's foreshadowing for the opposite.

Theon trudged through the storm until his arms and legs were caked with snow and his hands and feet had gone numb from cold, then climbed to the battlements of the inner wall again. Up here, a hundred feet high, a little wind was blowing, stirring the snow. All the crenels had filled up. Theon had to punch through a wall of snow to make a hole . . . only to find he could not see beyond the moat. Of the outer wall, nothing remained but a vague shadow and a few dim lights floating in the dark.
The world is gone. King's Landing, Riverrun, Pyke, and the Iron Islands, all the Seven Kingdoms, every place that he had ever known, every place he had ever read about or dreamed of, all gone. Only Winterfell remained. (A Ghost in Winterfell, ADwD 46)

Nice. Could be, but I think the aithor intended that to show us how Theon was realizing that Winterfell was his true home. Still, that's a good counter. 

On 3/29/2020 at 9:08 PM, Lollygag said:

GRRM often pulls switcheroos with these sorts of things and instead of Bran the Builder's Winter-fell, I think we'll see it come to a head at Bran the Builder's mysterious (Winter) Storm's End. It seems very unlikely that the Others never make it beyond half-way through the North for a lot of reasons. My personal headcanon atm has Stannis who knows Storm's End better than anyone figuring out a lot of things once he gets familiar with Winterfell and has Theon (and Bran) to show him around.

Storm's End, the Daynes, the Hightowers, Highgarden's Three Singers, Harrenhal and the Gods Eye, Summerhall, Dorne's history with the Rhoynar, the Citadel and just so much detail about Southern politics in general along with how GRRM has played his cards close to the chest on these has me thinking things will end up here somehow. Though I wouldn't be surprised if what you said came to pass in the middle somewhere - I agree that hot spring and possible volcano will be big somehow. It would be a good way to allow people time to escape if they're trapped.

TWOW

Hide contents

The Arianne chapter approaching Storm's End has me all but convinced that things come to a head in that area.

I agree and this supports the idea of euron being the new nights king given his quote about how he is the storm 

and it would be fitting for him to be defeated at storms end

22 hours ago, Victor Newman said:

Bran would choose differently.  He's a Stark and would choose to protect the home he loves even if it meant a battle victory for the white walkers.  The Starks are selfish because they put family above all. 

The Starks are the ice faction in Westeros.  I can believe it if they chose to side with the Others to benefit themselves.

Archived