How likely is a Jon/Sansa match (aka Jonsa)?

Dot Com

3 minutes ago, Elegant Woes said:

The story talks about a Winter Rose and how it's a symbol of a Stark Maiden. Next chapter Sansa has her first period/flowering, she literally "blooms". It implies that Sansa is a Winter Rose of this generation and that the Stark line will most likely continue through her. On top of that GRRM refers Sansa to as the "Key to the North" in A Storm of Swords. When Theon thinks of claiming Winterfell his first thought goes to Sansa. Tyrion wanted to become Warden of the North through her and when Stannis presents Winterfell to Jon Sansa is also brought up. Whenever a POV character is tempted with Winterfell Sansa is miraculously brought up. George is really hammering us that Sansa is the Key to get the North. GRRM is literally saying that Sansa is the Guinevere of ASOIAF. 

That's a decent case for why Sansa may claim WF &/or carry on the Stark bloodline, but why does that mean she has to do that with Jon? 

4 minutes ago, Elegant Woes said:

The story talks about a Winter Rose and how it's a symbol of a Stark Maiden. Next chapter Sansa has her first period/flowering, she literally "blooms". It implies that Sansa is a Winter Rose of this generation and that the Stark line will most likely continue through her. On top of that GRRM refers Sansa to as the "Key to the North" in A Storm of Swords. When Theon thinks of claiming Winterfell his first thought goes to Sansa. Tyrion wanted to become Warden of the North through her and when Stannis presents Winterfell to Jon Sansa is also brought up. Whenever a POV character is tempted with Winterfell Sansa is miraculously brought up. George is really hammering us that Sansa is the Key to get the North. He is literally telling us that Sansa is the Guinevere of ASOIAF. 

Well it's not really miraculous if Sansa is literally the heir to Winterfell (because as far as anyone knows, Bran and Rickon are dead). Everyone including Sansa herself acknowledges the value of her claim. 

4 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

What about your face? Or other body functions like.. walking? lol 

I'd check first, if I could still eat and most importantly taste the food :D

Also I feel like you're answer is the reason why men and women will never ever truly understand each other :laugh: No matter what we do, there is just something we'll never get lol 

......I was being playful, and mayhaps I was too dry. 

Of course, I'd want my skin, my legs, the use of my eyes and ears. I'd want to be able to taste the wine and feel the sun on my face.

But we're having a conversation re Sansa wedding Jon. I think that Sansa Stark has a plethora of potential suitors. Once she's free to be herself again, that is. I think that if she does pick someone, she'll pick someone she can rebuild the Stark family with. That's just imo. 

First thing first the thought is kinda disturbing given that they are cousins and have spent their whole childhood together. Also, I don't see a single narrative reason why this would happen. Sansa's story has been very focused on how shitty marriage is in Westeros, so to have her finally discover happiness with her cousin no less through marriage just doesn't fit the character.

10 minutes ago, Elegant Woes said:

The story talks about a Winter Rose and how it's a symbol of a Stark Maiden. Next chapter Sansa has her first period/flowering, she literally "blooms". It implies that Sansa is a Winter Rose of this generation and that the Stark line will most likely continue through her. On top of that GRRM refers Sansa to as the "Key to the North" in A Storm of Swords. When Theon thinks of claiming Winterfell his first thought goes to Sansa. Tyrion wanted to become Warden of the North through her and when Stannis presents Winterfell to Jon Sansa is also brought up. Whenever a POV character is tempted with Winterfell Sansa is miraculously brought up. George is really hammering us that Sansa is the Key to get the North. He is literally telling us that Sansa is the Guinevere of ASOIAF. 

Here's the problem though, if she marries Jon she's not the one continuing the Starks, Jon is. So your whole point only serves to demonstrate that given how she will be the salvation of house Stark, she'll marry someone who isn't a Stark.

28 minutes ago, Elegant Woes said:

Yeah, but it's significant, because it changes her role in society. She is not perceived as a child any longer and as we saw with Sansa's example this brings a whole list of trouble. Britney said it best "Not a girl, not yet a woman" lol (I apologize for my stupid silliness today) I personally really don't think the order of chapters is of any significance except for, when the same event is told from multiple POVs like the red wedding or the BOTB.

But even if Winterfell is important to both of them, I still don't see any hints, that this means they will take care of WF as a romantic couple. They could do it just as well as brother and sister. Maybe GRRM wants the Bael the Bard story associated with Sansa (even though again- I just don't believe in the order of the chapters means anything- I feel like GRRM expects the reader to make connections all over the books), because it shows the father doesn't have to be a Stark, for the line to be continued, still doesn't suggest in any way, that the father will be Jon though. 

31 minutes ago, Dot Com said:

Well it's not really miraculous if Sansa is literally the heir to Winterfell (because as far as anyone knows, Bran and Rickon are dead). Everyone including Sansa herself acknowledges the value of her claim. 

Yes everyone thinks Sansa is the heiress of Winterfell, but her connection to being the heiress goes beyond that. Like I said in my previous post, Sansa is the stark maiden/winter rose, her direwolf (Lady) is buried in lichyard of Winterfell so a part of her is forever tied to the North, she builds Winterfell out of snow, she refers herself as the blood of Winterfell, draws strength from the cold and snow, becomes bolder because she's within the walls of Winterfell. In terms of foreshadowing Sansa is also presented as the heir. Plus on a narrative level Sansa is presented as the heiress. In AGOT it's established that Ned has two goals; figure out who killed Jon Arryn and expose them, protect his nephew and his claim as Lord of the Vale. In ASOS/AFFC those two story lines are tied to Sansa because Littlefinger is the main villain of her arc and secondly she's the one who interacts with little Robert the most. She will do what Ned couldn't do and that makes her, on a narrative level, Ned's heir. 

3 hours ago, Dot Com said:

Thought I'd stir the pot. Some say there is foreshadowing, others say it's ridiculous. What do you think? Personally I come down on the side that it's unlikely, but possible considering George was originally going with Jon/Arya. 

There is no pot to stir. There is no foreshadowing at all. They are clan kin above all else. And frankly, this idea is so ridiculous that not even the abomination went there. 

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Whenever a Jonsa thread pops up I start missing the good ol Stark hate threads. :bang:

Jon is a moody, weak, cowardly oath breaker, who lacks any discipline and should be executed for his betrayal- and don't even let me start with poor Janos Slynt... typing is hard, when you can't see through your tears...:crying: my favorite baby killer

Sansa is a selfish, shallow and stupid bitch, the best thing she ever did was to betray her family, they were stupid enough to trust her selfish ass. Right after she chopped off her father's head, as well as her direwolf's. Now, thank goodness, she must die any minute, since her direwolf is already dead :devil::D

Arya is psychopath! Someone protect the poor, defenseless Freys from her! Someone kill her before she can set her foot on Westerosi soil  again! 

Bran is a boring tree without feelings, who ate his friend!

Rickon... he's a terrorist 

Feel better?

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:
7 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't started a Jonya thread by now.

They used to be everywhere and they riled hard against Val and Gendry as characters, etc. 

Gendry I get why, but Val? Really? Like he does have the chance to marry her, but that was at the end of ASOS, now it's pretty clearly off the table.

1 minute ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Gendry I get why, but Val? Really? Like he does have the chance to marry her, but that was at the end of ASOS, now it's pretty clearly off the table.

It ain’t off the table at all. It might not be what we readers assume, but it ain’t off the table either. Jon is discovering he is more of the north+ free folk as he goes along. 

Just now, Nagini's Neville said:

Battle of the Blackwater. Thought that's how the cool kids called it?:huh: lol Wanted to belong and also laziness

Don’t ask me, I was never cool. :cool4:

But yeah, my addled brain went straight to a certain dumb scene from the abomination and the battle of the BW never crossed my mind. :dunno:

Archived