How likely is a Jon/Sansa match (aka Jonsa)?

Dot Com

24 minutes ago, Victor Newman said:

It doesn't mean it won't happen.  Direwolves do not follow the laws of man.  And they both are rule breakers already.

I mean... 2/3 of Haggon's skin changing rules have already been broken. The third one could be broken by Nymeria and Ghost mating. EUGH.

To answer your question, OP, not likely. For a character whose arc revolves a lot around romance, there is nothing to demonstrate that GRRM is taking us down that route.

34 minutes ago, Victor Newman said:

It doesn't mean it won't happen.  Direwolves do not follow the laws of man.  And they both are rule breakers already.

But they follow the rules of wolves and wolves live in big family units and don't do inbreeding. Ghost and Nym are both from the same litter. They think of each other as sis and bro. I'd say it's just in your head, in your heead, zombie, zombiee, zombie-e-e-oh! oh no, that happens every time :dunno:

5 hours ago, Dot Com said:

Thought I'd stir the pot. Some say there is foreshadowing, others say it's ridiculous. What do you think? Personally I come down on the side that it's unlikely, but possible considering George was originally going with Jon/Arya. 

George could have a go but...how and why?

Like hear me out. There are two books left in this series with a staggering number of POV. Jon and Sansa are nowhere near eachother and are only going to be together at the end of Winds.

Which leaves one book which has to handle the big battles, Danys invasion, the Others and a sizeable epilogue. For comparison the Wheel of Time, with no epilogue and a much easier and less grounded narrative took a whole novel just to cover the Last Battle.

There’s no way George could put any last minute romances in at this point without it feeling abrupt and forced. You could say exactly the same for Jon/Dany, Jon/Arya, Jon/Victim, there just isn’t enough time. It would be a little trite if Sansa shows up and Jon just suddenly has the hots for his red headed sister/cousin. Remember these characters will be totally different people by time they’ve have met and have had no interaction or character building together. Like you could make Bran and Meera work or Arya/Gendry because they know eachother and have shared a journey together. But I just don’t see how it could happen even if George went there.

Also incest. Why?

1 minute ago, Elegant Woes said:

Jon/Victim? Who are you talking about. 

Jon and any other woman. 

The author has an agenda with that character with the whole love vs duty talk. So every interaction he has is going to be a series of edgelord tragedies to belabour this point that “love makes you do stupid things”.

Okay I get it. Anyway, I do think Jon/Sansa romance is in the realm of possibility. If only because romance is a big deal in Sansa's arc. I mean why would GRRM make her go through meeting all of these awful men who only seem to use or abuse her? Is it not to make her dynamic with the guy who fits the "Brave, gentle, strong" criteria have more an impact on the readers. The line, "No will marry me for love," is meant to be a subverted instead of a bleak statement of Sansa's life. 

1 minute ago, Elegant Woes said:

The line, "No will marry me for love," is meant to be a subverted instead of a bleak statement of Sansa's life. 

Yes, I agree that this line is meant to be subverted. It's kind of like Theon telling himself he can't save Jeyne because he isn't a hero and all that jazz during her wedding. In the end, he does save her. Sansa will get her BGSTWP. There's just nothing convincing that indicates that Jon is that person.

8 minutes ago, Elegant Woes said:

Okay I get it. Anyway, I do think Jon/Sansa romance is in the realm of possibility. If only because romance is a big deal in Sansa's arc. I mean why would GRRM make her go through meeting all of these awful men who only seem to use or abuse her? Is it not to make her dynamic with the guy who fits the "Brave, gentle, strong" criteria have more an impact on the readers. The line, "No will marry me for love," is meant to be a subverted instead of a bleak statement of Sansa's life. 

I don't disagree with this & I believe 100% Sansa will find her prince charming. I just don't think it will be Jon. 

11 minutes ago, violentdelights said:

Brave Gentle Strong That Was Promised lol

I get it, thank you, was confused for second :laugh:

12 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I don't disagree with this & I believe 100% Sansa will find her prince charming. I just don't think it will be Jon. 

Why wouldn't it be Jon? Despite being a morally grey character Jon is the only character who has any resemblance to the heroes of the songs Sansa adores so much and it's proven in ASOIAF he is Sansa's hero (by fulfilling her wish). He fits into the "Brave, Gentle, Strong" criteria and he's also likes Sansa just the way she is. Plus if R + L = J is true, he literally is a prince charming. 

13 minutes ago, Elegant Woes said:

Why wouldn't it be Jon? 

Well I guess the obvious answer would be... he's her brother. 

Edit: Plus the apparent inevitability of Jonerys. 

3 minutes ago, Tyrion1991 said:

There’s more chance of Sansa ending up with Jorah than Jon. 

But I wouldn't go that far. :D

12 minutes ago, Elegant Woes said:

Why wouldn't it be Jon? Despite being a morally grey character Jon is the only character who has any resemblance to the heroes of the songs Sansa adores so much and it's proven in ASOIAF he is Sansa's hero (by fulfilling her wish). He fits into the "Brave, Gentle, Strong" criteria and he's also likes Sansa just the way she is. Plus if R + L = J is true, he literally is a prince charming

Because they were raised as siblings, incest is taboo even in universe, they aren't particularly close as siblings let alone have any romantic feelings for each other, there is no indication they will ever develop romantic feelings for each other & imo it would be very bad writing to bring this up now. If this was going to happen it needed to be started books ago & it wasn't. 

23 minutes ago, Elegant Woes said:

Why wouldn't it be Jon? Despite being a morally grey character Jon is the only character who has any resemblance to the heroes of the songs Sansa adores so much and it's proven in ASOIAF he is Sansa's hero (by fulfilling her wish).

Is this about Slynt? Because that was not at all deliberate. GRRM initially had him hang Slynt but changed it in 2010. Here's the original thread. So GRRM did not write Jon fulfilling Sansa's wish (of some hero cutting off his head) with the intention of demonstrating that Jon was the hero Sansa was calling out for. In fact, going through that thread, one of the users implies that it was changed only because the fans thought it would be more fitting for Jon to do it the Stark way.  

He fits into the "Brave, Gentle, Strong" 

Sure. I'm sure there are other characters who do too. However, since this is about Sansa, we should focus on that character she describes as brave, gentle and strong in her own narrative. It's not Jon.

Archived