Acrophilia #21 - Connections - Round 3

Julia H.

If anyone is feeling bad, I had 4 correct answers at prelim and I have not got the theme yet.:bang:

I will have to shelve the minor character issue for consideration at a later date.

Extension of deadline:

The new deadline for Round 1 answers is Saturday, April 18th (6. p.m. Central European Time). Please, note that this is also the deadline for submitting your character clues for Round 2. 

You have about 6 hours to send in your final guesses, make any changes, do prelims or ask a yes/no question. Any new activities should be done via new messages (rather than by editing old ones). I would also like to remind you that the deadline for submitting / finalizing your clue for Round 2 is similarly close. 

On 4/14/2020 at 12:59 AM, Castellan said:

If anyone is feeling bad, I had 4 correct answers at prelim and I have not got the theme yet.:bang:

I will have to shelve the minor character issue for consideration at a later date.

I had 3/9 right and feel great about it!  :)And theme? with 3 of characters to go by - and not knowing which 3 those are . . .

Well, the board was down, but now it's back again. If anyone wants to send a last minute message regarding the guesses, please, do it quickly. I'll post the answers soon.  

ROUND 1 ANSWERS:

1. Obfuscatorily protected. Was greatly resented. Exile demanded.   JON SNOW

He was secretly protected by Ned, while Cat resented his presence in Winterfell and asked Ned to send him away.

2. Efficiently mends dangerous arrow trauma. MAESTER AEMON

He treated Jon’s arrow wound.

3. Observed parental wreckage.  Grief really ended devotion. STANNIS BARATHEON

He watched the shipwreck in which his parents died, and, as a result, he lost his faith in the Seven.

4. Escapee: motherhood's demise amidst tempest. QUEEN RHAELLA TARGARYEN

She fled from KL to Dragonstone, where she died giving birth to Dany during a storm.

5. Embraces murder. "Dullard". Allegiance trusted. VICTARION GREYJOY

He has killed several people (including a wife) outside a war situation. GRRM called him a dullard. Balon trusted him as an ally.

6. ”Elephants, mountains: dragon appropriate tool.” MYRCELLA BARATHEON

She explained how she regularly defeated Trystane when playing cyvasse, using her dragons to eliminate Trystane’s elephants.

7. Official poll: who's green, red, essentially dead? BRYNDEN RIVERS aka BLOODRAVEN

He has red eyes, and he is a greenseer, currently dying in a tree. However, it has never been explicitly stated on page that the last greenseer is indeed Bloodraven, we only know it from hints and clues, so it is possible to have a poll on the question above. 

8. Ominous peach wrought grimaced reply, eventually death. RENLY BARATHEON

Renly’s peach…

9. Emancipation made dame a tonalite. SANSA STARK

As she was freed from the Lannisters (who had practically held her captive), she became a ”Stone”.

10. Exceptionally meek, dominated, affectionate tot. TOMMEN BARATHEON

A description of his character.

Bonus clue:

Jest(?): Torch celestial! JEOR MORMONT

The black brothers called the Red Comet “Mormont’s torch”, saying (in half-jest) that it had been sent to light the commander’s way beyond the Wall.

Theme: Each character has a king for a brother.

Quote:

"Must I have a reason?" Mormont shifted in his seat, frowning. "Your brother Robb has been crowned King in the North. You and Aemon have that in common. A king for a brother."

Please, vote for your favourite clue. Also, send me your Round 2 clue (if you haven't done so yet). If you can do all that in 24 hours, we can start Round 2 within 48 hours. 

2 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

I had 3/9 right and feel great about it!  :)And theme? with 3 of characters to go by - and not knowing which 3 those are . . .

That post was from a while ago. I'm afraid I came good. Quite slowly. And ended up only got one clue wrong. But it was very strange feeling my own brain work in slow-motion. Finally some thing sort of rolls out of the fog and bumps against my legs, I look down and think ummm wreckage ...................  wreck....................Stafford Baratheon..................check wiki.

. On the other hand it quite speedily comes up with incorrect answers.

1 hour ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Next time I host and tell you to research, by all means tell me to go screw myself since I never take my own advice anyway.

I don't remember half of what the clues are on about

I am very bad at getting clues until I have the theme. Thank God for two easier clues this round which together with knowing my own and then getting one more put me in the vicinity of the theme although I got it wrong and I still didn't get it for ages. 

Wow! Great clues everyone! Two had me from the beginning because I was so sure of them and thus I struggled trying to figure out which other two were wrong. Luckily I was forced once I had theme to abandon the ones I thought were true because they had no king brothers. :huh:

Excellent round @Julia H.B)

ROUND 1 AUTHORS:

1. Obfuscatorily protected. Was greatly resented. Exile demanded.   JON SNOW

Fragile Bird

2. Efficiently mends dangerous arrow trauma. MAESTER AEMON

Eternally_His

3. Observed parental wreckage.  Grief really ended devotion. STANNIS BARATHEON

Jez Bell

4. Escapee: motherhood's demise amidst tempest. QUEEN RHAELLA TARGARYEN

Dolorous Gabe

5. Embraces murder. "Dullard". Allegiance trusted. VICTARION GREYJOY

rocksniffer

6. ”Elephants, mountains: dragon appropriate tool.” MYRCELLA BARATHEON

Castellan

7. Official poll: who's green, red, essentially dead? BRYNDEN RIVERS aka BLOODRAVEN

a free shadow

8. Ominous peach wrought grimaced reply, eventually death. RENLY BARATHEON

Honeyed Chicken

9. Emancipation made dame a tonalite. SANSA STARK

Ser Not Appearing

10. Exceptionally meek, dominated, affectionate tot. TOMMEN BARATHEON

She who must be Obeyed

ROUND 1 SCORES

Players

Character points

Theme points

Extra theme point for the quote

Favourite clue points

TOTAL

a free shadow

C, SWMBO, SNA =3

SWMBO

rocksniffer

Fragile Bird

Castellan

JB, FS =2

Eternally_His

Jez Bell

DG =1

Dolorous Gabe

Honeyed Chicken

Ser Not Appearing

HCh, FB, RS, EH =4

A free shadow has made a triumphant comeback by solving everything within a couple of days and producing a challenging but at the same time very popular clue, thereby taking the lead. The second place is shared by four outstanding players, three of whom submitted a perfect set of guesses, while Castellan made up for one missed clue with earning two favourite clue votes. Eternally_His - the player to first solve the theme - is running quite close, with only one missed clue. The players in the chasing pack have done the warm-up exercises and have recently been getting faster and faster. Ser Not Appearing remained true to his name up until today - nevertheless he boasts the most popular clue of the round, winning hearts and votes with his tonalite. Congratulations to everyone, and I hope you all feel ready for the next round!

ROUND 2

In this round, the characters are divided into four groups. Each group represents a mini-theme, and each mini-theme is an aspect / example of the main theme. Please, note that mini-theme 3 has a slightly different structure than the other mini-themes.

You can have a prelim round for the characters, the mini-themes and the theme. There will be no free yes/no questions this round, however, you can ask as many yes/no questions as you want for the price of 1 point each (which will be deducted from your score), with the restriction that the yes/no questions can refer to the character clues only, not to the theme or the mini-themes. 

Enjoy!

ROUND 2 CLUES

Group 1

1. Graceful, orgasmic deceiver eventually attacked Queen's victor!

2. Oft second-hand.

3. Good overseas deed earns at-home (quarantinable!!!!) virus.

Mini-theme 1: ?

Group 2

4. Guarded overlord dutifully. Enthusiastically admired quirky visual.

5. Weighed as heft lent advantage.

6. Wept. Astucious house's lure, activated.

Mini-theme 2: ?

Group 3

7. Oathkeeper. Standard-holder.

8. Glimpsed on diverging exits, apparition quickly vanished.

Mini-theme 3: ?

Group 4:

9. Grieving old dad eliminated - arachnid's quarrel victimized.

10. Offering "shade", heroically!

11. Good old death: Elaborate asphyxiation. Quite violent.

Mini-theme 4:  ?

Theme: ???

Deadline: Sunday, April 26th (8. p.m. Central European Time).

Archived