Acrophilia #21 - Connections - Round 3

Julia H.

9 hours ago, Castellan said:

@honeyed chicken

I just looked at your links. Lovely garden! You must post an 'after' picture of your renovation.

Thanks, I will. The demolition in the picture occurred last year. Quite a bit has happened since and we're beginning to pick colors.

6 hours ago, Julia H. said:

About five hours and a half to go till the deadline.

Clues, clues, clues, please. 

my clue is in...

but my answers are not...still working...and drinking

perhaps one is hampering the other

...i better stop working

:smoking:

There seems to be some intensive last minute activity going on (as exemplified by the sniffer above), so I'll give you another hour before posting the answers. If you want to make any changes to your guesses, please send me a new message.  

37 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

There seems to be some intensive last minute activity going on (as exemplified by the sniffer above), so I'll give you another hour before posting the answers. If you want to make any changes to your guesses, please send me a new message.  

Will we get more time to come up with the theme?

ROUND THREE ANSWERS

1. In crossing, master-at-arms undulates greenly.  Ser Rodrik Cassel (Stark)

A creative reference to Ser Rodrik being seasick while travelling to KL.

2. Insufferably cautious(?). Makes unacceptable groom. Quentyn Martell (Targ)

He is described as cautious, but he certainly threw caution to the wind when he tried to steal a dragon. He was refused by Dany.

3. Insidiously conveyed misrepresented, urbane greetings. Roose Bolton (Stark)

“Jaime Lannister sends his regards.”

4. Re-lives intense memories, the elusive seasons in (adolescent) love. Tyrion Lannister (Arryn)

He recalls his adolescent romance with Tysha and how she used to sing “Seasons of My Love”.

5. Rhyme I might. To escape. Still, I am lost. Theon Greyjoy (Stark)

“Reek rhymes with weak” (etc.) Those rhymes help him remember his survival strategies but he isn’t really saved by them.

6. Ingenious cripple married unfamiliar girl. Doran Martell (Targ)

He married a girl from Norvos.

7. Kingly aristocrat osculates (onerous FEMALE!!). Kisses “tepid”. Hizdahr zo Loraq (Targ)

King, husband to a queen, man of the famous tepid kisses.

8. Riddle is "mints". (That's extra sentence in additional letters). Petyr Baelish (Tully)

His breath smells of mint. He also makes money and is in charge of the financial matters of the realm.

9. "Knights appreciate oaths over fortunes.  Kind Thanks!" Ser Barristan Selmy (Targ)

He proudly refuses Joffrey’s offer of “paid” retirement.

10. Known abdicator ordered others found. Knifed treacherously! Jeor Mormont (Stark)

He abdicated his title and lands so Jorah could have them. As LC of the NW, he ordered a search to find Benjen and other lost rangers but also with the purpose of finding out what is going on beyond the Wall. They found … Others.

Theme: Characters who said the words of Houses other than their own - Stark, Targaryen, Arryn and Tully words. (Further characters that could have been used were Renly – Stark words – and Varys, who also said the Targaryen words, but, according to a theory, he might be a secret Targaryen or a Blackfire, so in that case the last part of the theme might not be strictly true.)

Please, vote for your favourite clue. 

1 minute ago, She who must be Obeyed said:

Wow! I am very disappointed that Doran is not listed in the wiki as a cripple or being crippled. <_<

My problem with that clue is that I was looking for a cripple who got married, not a married man who later became a cripple. 

1 hour ago, She who must be Obeyed said:

Wow! I am very disappointed that Doran is not listed in the wiki as a cripple or being crippled. <_<

Now it is painfully clear that I need to join a re-read group! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

My problem with that clue is that I was looking for a cripple who got married, not a married man who later became a cripple. 

It took me quite a while to get this too, because of the reasons above and also because I had Doran penciled in as the insufferably cautious(?) unacceptable groom and I liked him for that. The ? after the cautious seemed to fit because the sand snakes and Doran may think he's insufferably cautious, others may not. Unacceptable groom was not really true but Mellario eventually decided he was an unacceptable husband. Luckily because  was thinking and reading about Doran for that other clue I eventually realised he could fit the cripple.

I'm not saying its a bad clue, just a strangely hard one. Likewise the Jeor clue I got at the last minute. I kept thinking with both these clues, that they seemed so obvious in structure and info, how could I not get them? With the Jeor clue I kept thinking it sounded like a NW or sellsword deserter or turn cloak - ie abdicating their duties -  since the only person who conceivably abdicated a throne was Aemon. I didn't think of the fact that the NW renounce their titles if they have them. Don't know why.

15 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

See, this game is weird this way. I saw to the clue #6 for Doran Martell and thought of immediately. I read clue #1 and immediately thought of Areo Hotah. Admittedly, the undulates greenly part doesn't add up - but if one sticks to strict meanings you get tripped up like I did with "Oft second-hand" and Ned Stark like I did last round.

1 minute ago, honeyed chicken said:

See, this game is weird this way. I saw to the clue #6 for Doran Martell and thought of immediately. I read clue #1 and immediately thought of Areo Hotah. Admittedly, the undulates greenly part doesn't add up - but if one sticks to strict meanings you get tripped up like I did with "Oft second-hand" and Ned Stark like I did last round.

We over-think these damn things!

10 hours ago, Castellan said:

I'm not saying its a bad clue, just a strangely hard one. Likewise the Jeor clue I got at the last minute. I kept thinking with both these clues, that they seemed so obvious in structure and info, how could I not get them? With the Jeor clue I kept thinking it sounded like a NW or sellsword deserter or turn cloak - ie abdicating their duties -  since the only person who conceivably abdicated a throne was Aemon. I didn't think of the fact that the NW renounce their titles if they have them. Don't know why.

I would have been disappointed if #10 had not been Jeor Mormont. Not only does it fit him precisely, there's a nice use of "others" in there to trip up anybody who forgot that "White Walkers" is a show name, not the book name for these critters. :)

For FB: yup. This is a game that fiendishly trips up over thinkers. ;)

Archived