Acrophilia #21 - Connections - Round 3

Julia H.

ROUND 5 ANSWERS

1.       Pretty quickly, rodent saw through untruthful, vowed wench's yarn. Ser Shadrich, the Mad Mouse

Ser Shadrich soon realizes that Brienne is looking for Sansa Stark, not her little sister.

2.       I just kept lockdown manageable... now outlawed. Brynden Tully, the Blackfish

He was in charge of a besieged castle. Later he escaped from Jaime and is now an outlaw.

3.       Delayed exit, foot guided him.  Jaime Lannister, the Lion of Lannister

He was born second, his hands holding to Cersei’s foot.

4.       I just "kissed" lady, manifesting novel outcomes.  Beric Dondarrion, the Lightning Lord

He kissed the dead Catelyn, who was revived as Lady Stoneheart, while Beric himself died finally.

5.       Infamous journier. K.L.'s moonshiner. Nighttime offloader. Davos Seaworth, the Onion Knight / Lord

A description of his early life: He was from KL, grew up to be a smuggler.

6.       Ashen beauty cryptic. Lyanna Stark, the Wolf Maid

She is dead, and her ashes as well as her statue are in the crypts of Winterfell. She is also cryptic because she is surrounded by mystery. Also, pale blue roses and grey as a Stark colour.

7.       Icy justice. Kingly liberation. Mistake, negative outcome. Robb Stark, the Young Wolf

He punished Karstark in the Stark way, liberated the Riverlands and fought for an independent North as a King. He made mistakes and paid for them.

8.       Perturbing questions remain… Soul-touching, unsettling voice. (Weeping yonder.) Rhaegar Targaryen, the last dragon

There is a lot of mystery surrounding Rhaegar, there are also debated topics. He was a singer who, with his song, made Lyanna cry in Harrenhal.  

9.       Ingratiatingly justified keeping longships' men, nobility, officers! Alysane Mormont, the She-Bear

She has an ingratiating smile. She has kept the Ironborn officers and noblemen hostage.

10.   Dying, expresses forgiveness - grizzly homecoming. Jeor Mormont, the Old Bear

As he was dying, he forgave his son, expressing his wish that Jorah should return to the Seven Kingdom and take the black.

11.   "Aspersions!" bristle candlemakers. Loras Tyrell, the Knight of Flowers

"When the sun has set, no candle can replace it." That is what Loras said about Renly’s death. Candlemakers might get indignant though, as the function of candles is basically to replace the sun for a while. (The original clue referred to the tourney trick where Loras rode a mare that was in heat to make Gregor’s huge stallion go crazy.)

Theme: Characters who were identified with / had a nickname based on their own or their house’s sigil.

The hint clues:

a)      The Young Dragon

b)      The Bad Apple

c)      The Dragonknight

The video was, on the one hand, a hint to my clue, which is Clue #8, where you had to look for a singer, not just any voice.  (In fact, you had to look for a silver-haired, very good-looking singer, who was able to make a great emotional effect on the audience.) On the other hand, at the end of the video, you can hear the epithet “the Siberian Tiger of Opera” mentioned, which was the hint at the theme.

Please, vote for your favourite clue.

WOW! That's all I can say.

I got exactly one of these right and wasn't close on the theme (as usual), BUT all the clues make sense - can't quibble with a single one. Well done clue writers!

Julia H. you have a  genius for picking themes. This one made forehead smacking sense when I read it - even though I only solved the one clue. I got Shadrich, the Mad Mouse, and of course, I had my character that I wrote the clue for - Davos Seaworth, the Onion Knight. There's the answer sitting right there. Well done, you!

Thanks for hosting, Julia H. well done!!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

As for "the next game of acrophilia", I'm guessing all our brains are a little overheated from this one and may need a few weeks to cool down?

I was thinking I could try to host a game, but the effort and knowledge involved in selecting 50+ characters and 5 unique themes is nuts.

A huge thank you to our wonderful host for not only creating a fun game, but also dealing with what should have been my internal monologue.  Thank you (?) also to all the players for creating clues that kept me up at night.  You're all so brilliant.

:) 

4 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

WOW! That's all I can say.

I got exactly one of these right and wasn't close on the theme (as usual), BUT all the clues make sense - can't quibble with a single one. Well done clue writers!

Julia H. you have a  genius for picking themes. This one made forehead smacking sense when I read it - even though I only solved the one clue. I got Shadrich, the Mad Mouse, and of course, I had my character that I wrote the clue for - Davos Seaworth, the Onion Knight. There's the answer sitting right there. Well done, you!

Thanks for hosting, Julia H. well done!!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

As for "the next game of acrophilia", I'm guessing all our brains are a little overheated from this one and may need a few weeks to cool down?

Honeyed, my sweet, when someone uses the word 'grizzly' in their clue, it usually means 'look at House Mormont'!

We need to start giving you tips!

Sharing tips... Hm... What are your best / secret / favourite clue-solving and theme-finding methods? :dunno:

You could just as well start sharing them while we are waiting for the remaining votes to arrive. :D

32 minutes ago, Eternally_His said:

A Wiki of Ice and Fire/A Search of Ice and Fire/knowledge of certain characters.

'Knowledge of certain characters' is worth mentioning because if the clue doesn't contain specific words or factual information that can be searched, it's very hard to solve via the wiki or a search of ice and fire, so no point in blaming yourself. But being able to figure out what you can search on is also a skill I guess.

I feel I blunder around a lot. I get locked into the answers I have pencilled in and it takes a long time for my mind to do a mental twist where I can see it another way. The more I try to force solving things the more confused I get.

Just need to be aware that if you can see an answer it's not necessarily the answer.

When I first look at the clue I make an educated guess, if nothing comes to mind I try to parse each word for meaning, and then I start searching words, first in the Wiki and then A Search of Ice and Fire. If that doesn't help I look for synynoms of the words, because we are restricted by our letters.

If something comes to mind I search to nail down proof. When I first started this game I was always getting caught by the fact that someone fit, but not perfectly. The clues usually fit the character like a glove. If you wonder, why did they say that about the character, you may have the wrong character!

I usually don't look at the clues until answers are posted and by then it's really easy to figure out.

But awoiaf and asoiaf were huge when I truly tried. And any animals, especially the major ones, need to be first researched as house references. Maybe they're not. But it's the proper starting point.

Grizzly = Mormont was the only clue I truly guessed at and I knew that one right off based entirely on the animal.

...:lmao:hey Chick, my Brother i take 2 shots and throw darts at a board of character names blindfolded...and then i take 5 more shots...

:smoking:

seriously i do all of the above...search wiki, search text...remembered to use variations of words...all good advice...

2 extra things...don't over think it...like clue 3 it was obviously jaime, to me...because of the story about cersei being older and jaime holding her foot as he came out...ok but i convinced myself late in the round that it was a clue in a clue...that the answer was tyrion, he had a delayed exit from his cell to meet up with varys cause him and jaime were talking shit to each other and again when he went up the ladder to kill his daddy...his feet guided him up the ladder and back down...step by step...
this was a case of severely overthinking the clue...take a clue at face value...99% of the time... unless ser n/a or :ninja: are playing...

next once you do a text search on the website or wiki get the book out and read the relevant chapter in the book, cause context matters and that can be lost in both wiki and text search...

:pimp:

1 hour ago, rocksniffer said:

2 extra things...don't over think it...like clue 3 it was obviously jaime, to me...because of the story about cersei being older and jaime holding her foot as he came out..

Believe me, my friend, overthinking is not my problem these days (maybe when I was young . . . ). I used a search oiaf and what I found was a Cersei quote that said she and Jaime came into the world together. Seeing the answer above I now remember that some other place in the text it says he was holding her foot.

I said Ned for #3 because he delayed leaving (exiting) KL so he could go see one of Robert's bastards then left the whorehouse accompanied by his foot soldiers. I knew it was probably wrong, but had spent so much time solving number one I couldn't do anymore.

2 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

2 extra things...don't over think it...like clue 3 it was obviously jaime, to me...because of the story about cersei being older and jaime holding her foot as he came out...ok but i convinced myself late in the round that it was a clue in a clue...that the answer was tyrion, he had a delayed exit from his cell to meet up with varys cause him and jaime were talking shit to each other and again when he went up the ladder to kill his daddy...his feet guided him up the ladder and back down...step by step...
this was a case of severely overthinking the clue...take a clue at face value...99% of the time... unless ser n/a or :ninja: are playing...

That is the kind of thing my brain does to me. Though usually if there is time before deadline and I take a break and do something else I can come back and say well that's ridiculous!

but seriously, in practice, you can't help overthinking once you do a character prelim. Mostly in this game I have low scores in character prelims eg lowest was 3/11 I think highest was 6/11. So I have to go back try to divide them into dead certain, could be someone else, most possible wrong and then look for other possibilities. The more you look the more your brain starts to get a more and more complicated view of things and come up with complicated answers.

5 hours ago, Castellan said:

That is the kind of thing my brain does to me. Though usually if there is time before deadline and I take a break and do something else I can come back and say well that's ridiculous!

but seriously, in practice, you can't help overthinking once you do a character prelim. Mostly in this game I have low scores in character prelims eg lowest was 3/11 I think highest was 6/11. So I have to go back try to divide them into dead certain, could be someone else, most possible wrong and then look for other possibilities. The more you look the more your brain starts to get a more and more complicated view of things and come up with complicated answers.

I'm over the moon if I ever get 6/11 in the prelims.  Mind you, I also send my prelims very early with very little thought.  It's my way of eliminating the obvious... It doesn't work.

I really struggled with themes this game.  I had too many options that fit each clue and wasn't able to narrow them down without the themes.

11 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I was pretty please at 6/11. But then I couldn't work out which were correct. 

In the last round, I was expecting 4/11, but then got 6.  I should have been over the moon, but I couldn't figure out which additional 2 were correct and then started second-guessing the ones I thought I was sure of. 

Maybe it's just cobwebs from not playing in a while, but this game had my mind twisted in knots.

2 hours ago, Jez Bell said:

Maybe it's just cobwebs from not playing in a while, but this game had my mind twisted in knots.

I think it was extra hard. I found round 4 most difficult. I got there but I felt like I was wading through mud. 

Archived