Acrophilia #21 - Connections - Round 3

Julia H.

I agree that it's difficult not to overthink the clues and the theme. Still, what I could add to all the above is that it's important to be able to look at the clues in different ways because my way of interpretation does not necessarily match the author's original thinking, so I often have to think about what could be meant by or associated with those words other than what seems to be the "natural" angle to look at a clue from. 

And yes, even though A Search of Ice and Fire is a great search tool, sometimes you just have to look up a longer passage in the book because the crucial information you are looking for may not be close enough to the search word, and you simply won't see them together unless you read the whole scene.    

ROUND 5 AUTHORS

1.       Pretty quickly, rodent saw through untruthful, vowed wench's yarn. Ser Shadrich, the Mad Mouse

Ser Not Appearing

2.       I just kept lockdown manageable... now outlawed. Brynden Tully, the Blackfish

Jez Bell

3.       Delayed exit, foot guided him.  Jaime Lannister, the Lion of Lannister

Castellan

4.       I just "kissed" lady, manifesting novel outcomes.  Beric Dondarrion, the Lightning Lord

rocksniffer

5.       Infamous journier. K.L.'s moonshiner. Nighttime offloader. Davos Seaworth, the Onion Knight / Lord

Honeyed Chicken

6.       Ashen beauty cryptic. Lyanna Stark, the Wolf Maid

Dolorous Gabe

7.       Icy justice. Kingly liberation. Mistake, negative outcome. Robb Stark, the Young Wolf

Eternally_His

8.       Perturbing questions remain… Soul-touching, unsettling voice. (Weeping yonder.) Rhaegar Targaryen, the Last Dragon

Julia H.

9.       Ingratiatingly justified keeping longships' men, nobility, officers! Alysane Mormont, the She-Bear

SWMBO

10.   Dying, expresses forgiveness - grizzly homecoming. Jeor Mormont, the Old Bear

Fragile Bird

11.   "Aspersions!" bristle candlemakers. Loras Tyrell, the Knight of Flowers

a free shadow

ROUND 5 SCORES

Players

Character guessing points

Theme points

Favourite clue points

TOTAL

Fragile Bird

SNA 1

SWMBO

Castellan

DG 1

rocksniffer

HCh 1

Jez Bell

Eternally_His

Honeyed Chicken

EH 1

Ser Not Appearing

JB 1

Dolorous Gabe

RS, FB 2

a free shadow

C, SWMBO 2

FINAL STANDINGS

1. Castellan: 97+21=118 :bowdown:

2. SWMBO: 92+24=116

2. Fragile Bird: 91+25=116

3. rocksniffer: 85+17=102

4. Jez Bell: 66+14=80

5. a free shadow: 76+0=76

6. Eternally_His: 51+8=59

7. Dolorous Gabe: 43+3=45

8. Honeyed Chicken: 32+3=35

9. Ser Not Appearing: 13+2=15

The winner of the round is Fragile Bird, who solved all the clues and figured out the theme and, by means of Ser’s favourite clue vote, overtook She who must be Obeyed, who, with diligent detective work, also solved everything there was to solve. Castellan missed a couple of clues but won a favourite clue vote from Dolorous Gabe, and now not only does she have the third highest score of the round, but she has also won the title ”The Most Frequently Spied on Player". Rocksniffer and Jez Bell also uncovered a large part of the mystery, while the others took it easy this round (but, hopefully, had a good time nevertheless).

In the end (despite disturbances such as visitors), Castellan, a player of untiring enthusiasm, could not be overtaken by her formidable competitors and won the game, while Fragile Bird and SWMBO (just two points shy of Castellan’s score) share the silver prize. Rocksniffer once again failed to achieve his eternal goal of rock bottom and finished in third place instead. Congratulations to the winner and to everyone else who solved and / or made mysterious, exciting, humorous or transparent clues, and thank you all for participating in this game!     

15 hours ago, Castellan said:

but seriously, in practice, you can't help overthinking once you do a character prelim. Mostly in this game I have low scores in character prelims eg lowest was 3/11 I think highest was 6/11. So I have to go back try to divide them into dead certain, could be someone else, most possible wrong and then look for other possibilities. The more you look the more your brain starts to get a more and more complicated view of things and come up with complicated answers.

Prelims are almost entirely useless to me. I think my best was I went from 3/10 to 4/10. I was even thinking that if I hosted I would give players the choice: I'll either have no prelims, or I'll tell you which guesses are right. The game is tough enough without that uncertainty, imo.

eta:

Thanks to Julia H. for a well hosted game!  :bowdown:

Congrats to Castellan for the win!!! :cheers:

5 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

I was even thinking that if I hosted I would give players the choice: I'll either have no prelims, or I'll tell you which guesses are right. The game is tough enough without that uncertainty, imo.

Both ways have been tried before, I think. If you are the host, you make the rules!

Thanks to Julia for hosting an incredible game.

Congrats to SWMBO and Fragile bird for getting perfect scores in the last round, you really have staying power!

Thanks to DG for a favourite clue point. I can't believe I got one!

Thanks to a free shadow for a funny clue.

:bowdown: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

58 minutes ago, Eternally_His said:

If I were the host, I'd allow people two open questions, as opposed to yes/no questions.

Could it be like:

1) Which character is Clue #1?

2) Which character is Clue #5?

1 hour ago, Eternally_His said:

If I were the host, I'd allow people two open questions, as opposed to yes/no questions.

In that case, I vote for a game hosted by EH.

9 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I was robbed in favorite voting the last round. Thank you Jez for you discernment. We JB's must stick together ... 6 ft apart.

That is all.

:) It was a good clue.  I had to search, but once found, there was no doubt.

Congrats to Castellan!  Kudos to all, and a big thanks again to our wonderful host Julia. 

58 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

Could it be like:

1) Which character is Clue #1?

2) Which character is Clue #5?

Will you let me win for $50?

What is the theme?

17 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

Probably the most useful question. 

It would make it so easy.

You could add a cruel twist, like, you can ask any question, but only every second person will get a truthful answer.

4 minutes ago, Castellan said:

It would make it so easy.

You could add a cruel twist, like, you can ask any question, but only every second person will get a truthful answer.

Or that the answer you give is, in fact, an anagram based on the real answer.  ;)

1 minute ago, Julia H. said:

Or that the answer you give is, in fact, an anagram based on the real answer.  ;)

I would still find it easy, for I am an anagram master.

We should have an anagram game, where an anagram is provided, along with a singular clue, and people have to solve the anagram based on that clue.

6 minutes ago, Eternally_His said:

I would still find it easy, for I am an anagram master.

Well, then it would be the ideal game for you to host.

Just now, Eternally_His said:

I know which dare I would give. Go to Martin's house and ask him to change the story so that Robb lives. And in exchange, you can have all the clue answers. ;)

Travel restrictions, unfortunately.  Looking forward to your anagram game.

Archived