Acrophilia #21 - Connections - Round 3

Julia H.

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

We over-think these damn things!

I was absolutely convinced #6 was Tyrion.  In fact I had abandoned Littlefinger for #8 and spent so much time looking for a quote that used the letters M I N T S.

1 minute ago, Jez Bell said:

I was absolutely convinced #6 was Tyrion.  In fact I had abandoned Littlefinger for #8 and spent so much time looking for a quote that used the letters M I N T S.

Ah, what a novel idea for clue-making! Someone should try it for real.

4 minutes ago, Jez Bell said:

Hah! So I wasn’t the only one! Finally I decided that if Julia allowed a clue that had another clue in it that had to be solved I would 1) kill her, and 2) walk out of this game and never return! I decided Julia was much smarter than that!

eta: oh noesssssss, Julia is not smarter than that!!!

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Hah! So I wasn’t the only one! Finally I decided that if Julia allowed a clue that had another clue in it that had to be solved I would 1) kill her, and 2) walk out of this game and never return! I decided Julia was much smarter than that!

I had so much trouble with this round and that was the kind of basic logic that I could have used a few days ago.

I was impressed with the general quality of clues this round. So... here we go:

ROUND 3 AUTHORS

1. In crossing, master-at-arms undulates greenly.  Ser Rodrik Cassel

Dolorous Gabe

2. Insufferably cautious(?). Makes unacceptable groom. Quentyn Martell

Honeyed Chicken

3. Insidiously conveyed misrepresented, urbane greetings. Roose Bolton

SWMBO

4. Re-lives intense memories, the elusive seasons in (adolescent) love. Tyrion Lannister

Fragile Bird

5. Rhyme I might. To escape. Still, I am lost. Theon Greyjoy

Ser Not Appearing

6. Ingenious cripple married unfamiliar girl. Doran Martell

Eternally_His

7. Kingly aristocrat osculates (onerous FEMALE!!). Kisses “tepid”. Hizdahr zo Loraq

Castellan

8. Riddle is "mints". (That's extra sentence in additional letters). Petyr Baelish

a free shadow

9. "Knights appreciate oaths over fortunes.  Kind Thanks!" Ser Barristan Selmy

Jez Bell

10. Known abdicator ordered others found. Knifed treacherously! Jeor Mormont

rocksniffer

ROUND 3 SCORES

Players

Character guess points

Them4e points

Favourite clue points

TOTAL

a free shadow

Castellan

Eternally_His

rocksniffer

FB 1

Fragile Bird

R 1

SWMBO

JB, DG 2

Jez Bell

SWMBO 1

Dolorous Gabe

C 1

Honeyed Chicken

Ser Not Appearing

EH, AFS, HCh 3

STANDINGS

1. a free shadow: 54+22=76

2. Castellan: 51+22=73

3. Fragile Bird: 53+17=70

4. SWMBO: 53+16=69

5. rocksniffer: 50+17=67

6. Jez Bell: 41+13=54

7. Eternally_His: 21+22=43

8. Dolorous Gabe: 20+13=33

9. Honeyed Chicken: 14+12=26

10. Ser Not Appearing: 8+0=8

The first place in Round 3 is shared by a free shadow, Castellan and Eternally_His, who solved all the clues and found the theme. With this, a free shadow has strengthened her position at the top of the list, while Castellan jumped to the second place, with Fragile Bird flapping her wings not far behind, just ahead of a very determined chasing pack. In the contest of clues, the most popular clue of this very strong round was once again Ser’s (although he forfeited the points themselves due to skipping the voting round). The contest will continue with Round 4 – soon!

1 hour ago, rocksniffer said:

well it was a tough round but i think most of the clues were on point...

...once i saw the answers

:lmao:

Agreed. #1 is a good example. Well written and accurate, but it never occurred to me it could be Rodrik Cassel.

ROUND 4

In this round, there are 11 clues again, which means I have hidden my clue among the rest. This clue refers to a rather obscure character who (after being found) will help you narrow down the theme options considerably. Most clues are very solvable this round (says the one who already knows the answers), and I think the theme is considerably easier than last round. So, you can have one preliminary guessing round for the characters and one for the theme. Yes/no questions will come at the price of one point per question.

ROUND 4 CLUES

1. All red came white underwater.

2. Killed (?) Instigators're comrades!

3. Liberties extra yechy. Regicide is assuredly feigned.

4. Lyrical epitaph? Younger, really imagine a fantasy!

5. Left edifice yonder...revealed incestuous affair, foolishly!

6. Armour: refined courtesy - wildness untapped.

7. Lioness enticed younger roarer into armoured future.

8. "Kinship... in cream."

9. Lessons elevate youth's repertoire to assassin form.

10. Lordly extremity (yikes!) reveals inherited anatomical feature.

11. Luck evoked: Yokel revered initial appendage fragments.

Theme: ???

Deadline: Friday, May 15th (6 p.m. Central European Time).

7 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

Agreed. #1 is a good example. Well written and accurate, but it never occurred to me it could be Rodrik Cassel.

I spent ages trying to avoid using "master-at-arms" because I thought it made it too easy but I could find no acceptable alternative. But it's also fair to say that Rodrik is easily forgotten about, sadly, so perhaps it was good that I couldn't find a trickier alternative.

I think Rodrik is difficult to make a balanced clue for.

If it makes you feel any better for not getting mine, you completely baffled me with yours :)

I've definitely gone down the Ser Not Appearing approach to playing this game. Cursory guessing and marginally more effort in creating clues.

Wow! Or should I say - Whew! It could have been so much worse. ^_^

I was convinced the theme was obvious since I had 7/9 on prelims and improved to 8/9 when @Jez Bell's wonderful clue became clear to me (I had Jaime to start remembering his conversation with Tywin about becoming Lord of the Rock and Jaime refusing, choosing to remain in the Kingsguard). But the hints had me focusing on words, just not the right words. I had even noted all the house words when I discovered the coyly hidden links to sigils! :leaving:

Congratulations to @a free shadow, @Castellan, @Eternally_His for seeing what was in my face! :cheers:

As for Ser Rodrik, and the clue of death - cost me third place @Dolorous Gabe because he refused to fit in my theory of theme switching houses, so Willem Darry got the call. :P

8 hours ago, Julia H. said:

Ah, what a novel idea for clue-making! Someone should try it for real.

I haven't thought of that but I once did use letters in this way - this isn't it, just an example of the principle -

IOU Nothing!

Just because I had always thought it would be interesting if letters happened to fall that way and they did so I had to do it even though it was a bit of a crummy entry.

8 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I've definitely gone down the Ser Not Appearing approach to playing this game. Cursory guessing and marginally more effort in creating clues.

I really enjoy the making of a clue.

I really don't enjoy everyone using their clues to point out how little I remember about the books.

Archived