Acrophilia #21 - Connections - Round 3

Julia H.

1 hour ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I had my initial cursory glance through them and against one particular clue i have written "this makes no sense"

I've written that next to a few more than just one.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:06 PM, Julia H. said:

Most clues are very solvable this round (says the one who already knows the answers), and I think the theme is considerably easier than last round.

<_<

I have a couple of questions:

- Where did the theme for round 3 go? I recall that when the answers were initially posted the house whose words were quoted by the character were listed in parentheses after the character. At the time I was just trying to absorb the connection between the clues and the characters I'd missed. In the days since I started to think about what words the various characters had uttered. I remembered Jeor Mormont saying something like "You Starks are right, 'Winter is coming.'". But the others I wanted to check on, like whose words did Rodrik Cassel say? Not important, really, but I was curious.

- A clarification question in round 4. In #5, two characters are referenced and I can't tell which one I'm supposed to be guessing?

14 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

- Where did the theme for round 3 go? I recall that when the answers were initially posted the house whose words were quoted by the character were listed in parentheses after the character. At the time I was just trying to absorb the connection between the clues and the characters I'd missed. In the days since I started to think about what words the various characters had uttered. I remembered Jeor Mormont saying something like "You Starks are right, 'Winter is coming.'". But the others I wanted to check on, like whose words did Rodrik Cassel say? Not important, really, but I was curious.

The theme and the names of the houses in parentheses are still in the same post here

23 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

- A clarification question in round 4. In #5, two characters are referenced and I can't tell which one I'm supposed to be guessing?

Only one character is referenced in #5 (if you read the clue in the right way). 

30 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

like whose words did Rodrik Cassel say? Not important, really, but I was curious.

A Game of Thrones - Catelyn IV

"Oh, of a certainty," said Moreo. "Though perhaps I should hold it for them until we return to Tyrosh. For the sake of their wives and children. If you give them the silver here, my lady, they will dice it away or spend it all for a night's pleasure."

"There are worse things to spend money on," Ser Rodrik put in. "Winter is coming."

On 5/11/2020 at 8:15 AM, Jez Bell said:

A Game of Thrones - Catelyn IV

"Oh, of a certainty," said Moreo. "Though perhaps I should hold it for them until we return to Tyrosh. For the sake of their wives and children. If you give them the silver here, my lady, they will dice it away or spend it all for a night's pleasure."

"There are worse things to spend money on," Ser Rodrik put in. "Winter is coming."

Did you have to look that up or did you remember it? :o

Had I been thinking of characters who say other people's words - this would have stopped me because Cassel is of the household of the Starks - those are his words in essence.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:02 AM, Julia H. said:

Only one character is referenced in #5 (if you read the clue in the right way). 

Thanks for the response - not that it helps, but I understand your job isn't to do that. :)

ETA:

Question for my fellow players: do any of you who are so successful at finding these themes that feel impossible to me (I haven't gotten any yet in either game) use venn diagrams (or some version of) to solve them? I might have to try something like that.

4 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

Did you have to look that up or did you remember it? :o

Had I been thinking of characters who say other people's words - this would have stopped me because Cassel is of the household of the Starks - those are his words in essence.

I looked it up.  Had I remembered it, I probably would have gotten the theme :) 

If you aren't using it already try asearchoficeandfire.com

4 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Cassel is part of the Stark household, but that does not make him a Stark. He serves House Stark, but the words are no more his than the Stark coat of arms. He can identify with the Starks but no one would consider him part of the family.

5 hours ago, Eternally_His said:

No new hints? :(

Have you found the old one yet? :P

Anyway... you have already danced, so maybe you will enjoy a song now (since this is all about A Song of Ice and Fire, isn't it?).

Actually, there is an unhighlighted hint as well - not impossible to find if you have paid attention so far, from round to round. 

But it's been a long time since our last visual hint... (The text is in my mother tongue but you needn't worry about that.)

The characters for Round 5 (the last round) have been sent out. I know it isn't as early as usual, so I would like to ask you to try and submit the new clue until Monday. However, since you have considerably less time to do it now than usual, I will understand if it doesn't work. 

In addition, since we probably wouldn't be able to start the new round in the next couple of days anyway, I will extend the deadline for this round until Sunday (6 p. m. Central European Time). 

The acronyms for Round 5:

ABC

DEFGH

IJKLMNO

PQRSTUVWY

Deadline: Monday, May 18th (8 p.m., Central European Time).

Archived