Acrophilia #21 - Connections - Round 3

Julia H.

5 hours ago, Jez Bell said:

At first glance, I saw Disneyworld.

It is a fairly modern building - 1890s or something, built on the site of an older one. I think. I put the text into translate and think I remember it right. Explains why it looks so pristine.

So, the deadline has passed, and it is time for some reveal:

ROUND 4 ANSWERS

1. All red came white underwater. Catelyn Stark

Her red hair floating in the Trident – she died and was revived; her hair became white.

2. Killed (?) Instigators're comrades! Jon Snow

It is a question whether he really died after being attacked by brothers of the NW.

3. Liberties extra yechy. Regicide is assuredly feigned. Tyrion Lannister

Tywin was disgusted with his son’s sexual habits. Tyrion was falsely accused of killing Joffrey. He also lied to Jaime about having committed regicide.

4. Lyrical epitaph? Younger, really imagine a fantasy! Robert Baratheon

The young Robert is remembered as a “maiden’s fantasy”.

5. Left edifice yonder...revealed incestuous affair, foolishly! Eddard Stark

He went South when he should have remained the Stark in Winterfell. Revealing his discovery of the secret of the twincest cost him his life.

6. Armour: refined courtesy - wildness untapped. Sansa Stark

Courtesy is a lady’s armour. Not a typical wolf.

7. Lioness enticed younger roarer into armoured future. Cersei Lannister

She convinced Jaime to become a Kingsguard so they could stay close.

8. "Kinship... in cream." Edric Dayne

He explains that he and Jon Snow are milk brothers.

9. Lessons elevate youth's repertoire to assassin form. Arya Stark

She is learning to be a master assassin.

10. Lordly extremity (yikes!) reveals inherited anatomical feature. Godric Borrell

He, like all Borrells, has webbing between his fingers. Davos notices it while having dinner with this lord.

11. Luck evoked: Yokel revered initial appendage fragments. Davos Seaworth

His cut off finger bones serve as his personal luck magic.

Theme:

Characters who have thought of or participated in a discussion about the identity of Jon Snow’s mother.

Catelyn heard rumours about Ashara Dayne and asked Ned about them. Jon Snow tells Tyrion he doesn’t know who his mother was. We also find out that he imagines her as beautiful and highborn. Tyrion tells Jon that she was “some woman” for sure. He also muses on how the mother didn’t leave anything of herself in her son because Jon looks so much like a Stark. Robert and Ned talk about Wylla. Sansa thinks of rumours according to which Jon’s mother was common. Cersei refers to the Ashara rumours and also accuses Ned of raping a Dornish peasant girl. Edric tells Arya that Jon’s mother was his wet nurse, Wylla. Godric tells Davos about the rumours concerning Ned and the fisherman’s daughter.

My hints: The Slander aria describes slander as gossip that starts out quietly, then spreads. The pictures of Fisherman’s Bastion in Budapest were meant to direct your attention to the fisherman's daughter - and to Godric (my character).  I casually mentioned my mother tongue, with the purpose of calling your attention to mothers. The unhighlighted hint I mentioned is in the usual place (where my highlighted hints have been before), in my signature. (Highlighting Jon Snow seemed to be a bit too obvious so I just said that there was an unhighlighted hint hoping that you would take another glance at my signature.)

Please, vote for your favourite clue.

ROUND 4 AUTHORS

1. All red came white underwater. Catelyn Stark a free shadow

2. Killed (?) Instigators're comrades! Jon Snow SWMBO

3. Liberties extra yechy. Regicide is assuredly feigned. Tyrion Lannister Eternally_His

4. Lyrical epitaph? Younger, really imagine a fantasy! Robert Baratheon Fragile Bird

5. Left edifice yonder...revealed incestuous affair, foolishly! Eddard Stark rocksniffer

6. Armour: refined courtesy - wildness untapped. Sansa Stark Dolorous Gabe

7. Lioness enticed younger roarer into armoured future. Cersei Lannister Castellan

8. "Kinship... in cream." Edric Dayne Jez Bell

9. Lessons elevate youth's repertoire to assassin form. Arya Stark Honeyed Chicken

10. Lordly extremity (yikes!) reveals inherited anatomical feature. Godric Borrell Julia H.

11. Luck evoked: Yokel revered initial appendage fragments. Davos Seaworth Ser Not Appearing

ROUND 4 SCORES

Players

Character guessing points

Theme points

Favourite clue points

Points spent

TOTAL

Castellan

SWMBO

Fragile Bird

rocksniffer

Jez Bell

SWMBO, EH, SNA, DG 4

Dolorous Gabe

Eternally_His

RS 1

Honeyed Chicken

Ser Not Appearing

HCh 1

a free shadow

C, JB, FB 3

STANDINGS

1. Castellan: 73+24=97

2. SWMBO: 69+23=92

3. Fragile Bird: 70+21=91

4. rocksniffer: 67+18=85

5. a free shadow: 76+0=76

6. Jez Bell: 54+12=66

7. Eternally_His: 43+8=51

8. Dolorous Gabe: 33+10=43

9. Honeyed Chicken: 26+6=32

10. Ser Not Appearing: 8+5=13

The winner of the round is Castellan, who has taken over the lead in the overall contest with this victory. SWMBO and Fragile Bird are only a few steps behind, constantly in close competition with each other. Rocksniffer went on a spending spree this round, while a free shadow has disappeared (I hope she is well and will reappear soon). Jez Bell is the proud owner of the most popular clue of the round (a clue that proved both challenging and easily solvable but popular either way). Eternally_His, Dolorous Gabe, Honeyed Chicken and Ser Not Appearing continue to enjoy clue-making around the alphabet.

Not all the clues have arrived yet, but I have decided to start the round, nevertheless. More clues may be coming soon.

ROUND 5 CLUES

1.       Pretty quickly, rodent saw through untruthful, vowed wench's yarn.

2.       I just kept lockdown manageable... now outlawed.

3.       Delayed exit, foot guided him.

4.       I just "kissed" lady, manifesting novel outcomes.

5.       Infamous journier. K.L.'s moonshiner. Nighttime offloader.

6.       Ashen beauty cryptic.

7.       Icy justice. Kingly liberation. Mistake, negative outcome.

8.      Perturbing questions remain… Soul-touching, unsettling voice. (Weeping yonder.)

9.      Ingratiatingly justified keeping longships' men, nobility, officers!

10.    Dying, expresses forgiveness - grizzly homecoming.

11.    "Aspersions!" bristle candlemakers.

Theme: ???

In this round you can have

1) a preliminary guessing round for the character guesses and the theme

2) one totally free yes/no question (concerning either the character guesses or the theme)

3) and, in addition to the above, you can also have one spying move.

What is a spying move? It is one of two options:

a)       You can use your spying move to block spying directed against you. If you do that, no one can spy on you (of course, I cannot undo any spying that was done prior to the blocking), but you will not be able to spy on others either.

b)      Or you can choose a fellow player at any point during the round and ask me about the player’s current guess for a clue also chosen by you. If the player in question has not blocked spying, I will tell you the player’s current official guess (that I know of) for that clue. (Random musing does not count.) I will not tell you whether the guess is correct or not. If the player has not made an official guess yet, then I will tell you that, and that’s the result of your spying move. If you happen to ask the guess of the author of the clue, then I will tell you the real answer as the player’s guess - so I won’t tell you that the player is in fact the author. (Still, guessing the author of a difficult clue is probably the best way to utilize this move.) If the player has blocked spying, then I will tell you that, and it will be the result of your spying move. 

You cannot spy on the host.

Deadline: Sunday, May 24th (8 p.m. Central European Time).

On 5/18/2020 at 6:59 PM, Eternally_His said:

I cannot understand a single clue except mine and one other... :(

That's one better than me. ;)

eta: 1 free yes/no question, but can we also have more at a cost of 1 point each?

5 hours ago, Eternally_His said:

I cannot understand a single clue except mine and one other... :(

5 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

That's one better than me. ;)

5 hours ago, Eternally_His said:

I understood one more.

Me thinks y'all may be saying this to prevent spying.

4 hours ago, a free shadow said:

what is it about?

Generically, it's a fantasy novel. Specifically, it's a secret.

... unless you're willing to read it so far and give me super detailed thoughts about what I've done, where it's rough (and why) and where they think it's going. Identifying true problems beyond punctuation and noting what truly works are of interest to me. I think it's a decent start but certainly needs polish. Aaaaaand I need to write the other 3 billion words.

*cough* @rocksniffer still owes me his detailed write up! *cough*

16 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Generically, it's a fantasy novel. Specifically, it's a secret.

... unless you're willing to read it so far and give me super detailed thoughts about what I've done, where it's rough (and why) and where they think it's going. Identifying true problems beyond punctuation and noting what truly works are of interest to me. I think it's a decent start but certainly needs polish. Aaaaaand I need to write the other 3 billion words.

*cough* @rocksniffer still owes me his detailed write up! *cough*

yes i do and will eventually get it done...i can say what i have said...i liked what there is and hope to read more...the story has a solid foundation and has an interesting take on structure...

39 words down 10961 to go....

:smoking:

12 hours ago, Castellan said:

I will take that as a compliment.

:ninja: 

Cortnay Penrose fought nobly, Cortnay Penrose fought valiantly, and Cortnay Penrose...

did not ever die, because no shadow would ever align with Stannis, the story is all rot and slander :ninja: 
16 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

it's a fantasy novel.

Where you are nice, and kind, and strong? 

and I am even nicer than now, and I did not say anything like it :smug:  

Archived