Corona Horse, Corona Rider - Covid #9

Fragile Bird

A lot of news sources seem to have picked up that Wimbledon is likely to be cancelled.

They are apparently one of the few global events to have pandemic insurance.

That must be like winning the lottery...not many events would have bothered with it, and from now onward, pandemic insurance is going to be prohibitively expensive.

1 hour ago, Arakan said:

Correct, sorry for OT. But the question who will pay for all of this will be asked in a lot of countries. The system question* will be asked in a lot of countries due to the pandemic. It already happens right now (e.g. Hungary). BAU won’t cut it this time (like in 2008/09). 

*political/socio-economical 

Yep. My country started basically distributing money left and right. I do agree that people need to be helped, because a lot of them are going to end up without a business or without a job, but ... the question of how the government plans to cover all these promises has been on my mind a lot these days.

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

A lot of news sources seem to have picked up that Wimbledon is likely to be cancelled.

They are apparently one of the few global events to have pandemic insurance.

That must be like winning the lottery...not many events would have bothered with it, and from now onward, pandemic insurance is going to be prohibitively expensive.

Well if this isn't a German politics thread, I'm going to make it a tennis thread for one post.

This is all so unfair to Feds and Nadal. Now that cyborg is sure to pass them. 

5 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Yep. My country started basically distributing money left and right. I do agree that people need to be helped, because a lot of them are going to end up without a business or without a job, but ... the question of how the government plans to cover all these promises has been on my mind a lot these days.

Yes. This is a huge question and we have to think out of the box. For example a corona solidarity contribution wealth-based is an idea which gains momentum in a few countries. Very good idea. The likes of Bezos can easily relinquish 10 or 15 billion out of his 120 billion (or whatever) wealth. I see no real practical problem there. 

The fallout of this crisis is way too big to be solved by the usual tools (loans, credits, deficit spending, tax increases etc). Yes, all of this will happen but it’s not enough. We very likely will see the biggest worldwide economic crisis since the Great Depression. Some sectors and industries will likely see the loss of a total business year (airlines, airports, tourism, leisure). The cascade effects are enormous. 

Furthermore rich countries MUST support the poorer ones and not in the 2010 Greece way. Otherwise I can easily see a rise of xenophobia, even proto-fascism (just look at Poland, Hungary, or Philippines, or Brazil). The world is in this together or else it will all fall apart. 

13 hours ago, Mudguard said:

Now that's what I call moving the goalposts.  From that slide, Trump would call anything under 2,200,000 deaths a success, and anything under 240,000 deaths an incredible success that no one else could have come close to achieving and that he is responsible for saving millions of lives.

He’ll claim victory if ten people are left in the US in November as long as he is included in that number.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well if this isn't a German politics thread, I'm going to make it a tennis thread for one post.

This is all so unfair to Feds and Nadal. Now that cyborg is sure to pass them. 

Long live the Djoker ;)  

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He’ll claim victory if ten people are left in the US in November as long as he is included in that number.

Scot, you must fight him. The next US presidential election might be the most important since FDR. If that sorry excuse of a man is re-elected the worst case scenarios are very possible. Everything is connected with everything. The world needs Cuomo as president. 

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

not if 6 of them vote against him. 

Fun game. Let's bring in two people who enjoy playing this out.

Casts summon @Fez and @Maithanet.

There are 10 votes. Four go to Trump and six go to Biden. Make a workable map in which shithead still wins the EC. GO!!!

10 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

But also, that I've not seen other countries talking in such dire terms...and yes I know that the population densities of European countries (for example) are smaller than the US, but still..

Hey? Every country in Europe* has a far higher population density than the US, in many cases five or six times higher, e.g. UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany.

*Bar Scandinavia, and the Baltic States. And Russia doesn't count.

9 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yes. That's what I mean.  That it's being talked about so openly (though I still think he's playing on numbers to bolster his own reelection in November when the numbers come in lower).  But also, that I've not seen other countries talking in such dire terms...and yes I know that the population densities of European countries (for example) are smaller than the US, but still...

The sheer incompetence of this situation is staggering for a country such as the US.

It is impossible to overstate how pathetic Trump and most of his cabinet and top staff are at their jobs. As bad as the past three years have been, a lot of damage was avoided by the fact that the federal government is pretty good at inertia. It'll just keep moving forward on the stuff it does, even in the absence of any leadership (or the attempts of actively bad leadership to hinder it). But addressing a pandemic is a new thing, that interia doesn't help, and so all that incompetence and ignorance at the top comes rushing forward.

Trump is the worst president the US has ever had, and most of his cabinet are the worst Secretaries that the US has ever had. And now we're finally paying the price for that.

26 minutes ago, Arakan said:

Scot, you must fight him. The next US presidential election might be the most important since FDR. If that sorry excuse of a man is re-elected the worst case scenarios are very possible. Everything is connected with everything. The world needs Cuomo as president. 

Oh, I am

So I have made another grocery venture. The aisle with with toilet paper has been filled with cat litter. Is there something they want to tell us with that?

Amusingly, I found that the canned ravioli that has been on discount the past week was still fairly well stocked. I guess that part of the panic buying has been resolved?

4 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

As the four horsemen were referenced the 1920s version feels a little out of date and I have this memory from watching Good Omens fairly recently.

Too bad Plague was switched for Pollution in that version ... apparently peniciline was not enough to beat it completely.

38 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Casts summon @Fez and @Maithanet.

There are 10 votes. Four go to Trump and six go to Biden. Make a workable map in which shithead still wins the EC. GO!!!

If you assume that the electoral college get reallocated to reflect the new 10 person reality, then you just have Florida with 3 Biden and 4 Trump voters, and New York with 3 more Biden voters, and Trump wins the Electoral College in a landslide.  Hell, you could give Biden 3 more voters in New York and he'd still lose the election, in spite of winning almost 70% of the vote. 

But if you assume the electoral college is not reallocated (which by normal rules, it would not be), then there is no way to win the election with only 4 votes.  The fewest winning votes possible to be President is 11, with one voter in each of the 11 states with 14 or more EC votes to give exactly 270 electors.  Although I'm not really sure what would happen if you cannot find 270 total people to be electors, that would probably cause a problem.

Archived