Corona Horse, Corona Rider - Covid #9

Fragile Bird

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Not as much fun, definitely not as tasty! Then I prefer to cook something else. And if I brought frozen pizza home instead of separate ingredients, my family would probably crucify me. :D 

You can make scone base pizza, no yeast required. Of course, last time I was in a store there was no flour either.

Interesting little story emerging in France. 
France ordered one billion masks in China. On the airfield (!) the delivery was intercepted by a group of US Americans and they bought at least a part of the delivery. In cash. For three times the original price. French politicians in one of the most hard regions (Grande Est) are outraged. Understandably. 
How does the saying go? In times of crisis, the true character of a man shines through. 

27 minutes ago, Arakan said:

Interesting little story emerging in France. 
France ordered one billion masks in China. On the airfield (!) the delivery was intercepted by a group of US Americans and they bought at least a part of the delivery. In cash. For three times the original price. French politicians in one of the most hard regions (Grande Est) are outraged. Understandably. 
How does the saying go? In times of crisis, the true character of a man shines through. 

Already mentioned earlier, along with Czech and French examples of similar bad behavior.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I see that the vaccine has not been routinely given in western nations for 40 or 50 years. I think I was vaccinated as a child, but it only lasts for 20 years.

When I was a teenager we all got vaccinated at school. The Internet tells me that the UK stopped giving the BCG vaccine in 2005 (I hadn't realised until now they had stopped).

1 hour ago, Toth said:

What is it with the yeast? I can't believe all Germans have turned into bakers all of a sudden just because there is a pandemic going on...

I saw a graph a few days ago with an exponential curve where the axes were 'Days since lockdown' and 'Number of people starting their own bakery'.

21 minutes ago, Ran said:

Already mentioned earlier, along with Czech and French examples of similar bad behavior.

Yeah I understand. Doesn’t change the fact that the French public is outraged. Especially on a day where 1355 French died. I do not agree that it’s similar bad behavior. One would expect the self-proclaimed (and for decades factual) leader of the „free world“ to be above such shenanigans. But let’s leave it at that. Agree to disagree. 

I guess this is why preparing for the worst and hoping for the best is a good thing. The team is being broken in half and will alternate coming in every two weeks. On the off pay cycle we go into a pool that may randomly get called in to other sites. People have been in it for months, and nobody is getting called, but if you do you get full pay. If not you get half pay to stay home for two weeks, which is dope. Volunteered for the first cycle and am treating it as a two week vacation with half pay. But after eight weeks, nobody knows what will happen. The hospital won't fire anyone so we keep our benefits, which is the main reason to work there anyways, but this also leaves me unclear if I can get partial UI. All in all it's better than I expected, but I'm also sure it will get worse in two months if we see no progress with containing the outbreak.

The real shitty thing is that the hospital is going broke. Like all the hospitals in the state, and if we have to self-quarantine for a long time, idk how it will be sustainable. This is made worse by the fact that our region is only starting to see it being a problem. Detroit and Chicago are going to be hit badly, and there's a lot of travel between Chicago and Minneapolis (6-8 hour drive, very short flight). Not sure what happens if the Twin Cities is the next domino to fall. And with that, I'm now at home, drinking a tall glass of nice scotch then I'm off for a nice long dog walk. Need to clear my head and smoke a joint anyways.

One last thing though. I know many of you have heard me complain about my disaster of a boss. She really is the worst in so many ways. She's very much like Trump in that she wants only praise and criticism is seen as a true evil, even when it's 100% necessary. Well, as I expected, she made the two nice bosses deliver the news to the team. She completely skipped the meeting, even though she is the one who signed off on this idea, and has probably known about this for a while. 

What a fucking scumbag bitch.

Just now, Arakan said:

Yeah I understand. Doesn’t change the fact that the French public is outraged. Especially on a day where 1355 French died. I do not agree that it’s similar bad behavior. One would expect the self-proclaimed (and for decades factual) leader of the „free world“ to be above such shenanigans. But let’s leave it at that. Agree to disagree. 

It's exactly the same. Countries seizing or redirecting of another country's needed supplies. The only difference with the story about the Americans is that they outpaid the French rather than outright trying to seize it. The US has lost 700-odd people the same day, so it's not like they just waltzed in with no reason to want to get as many supplies as they can as well.

It's all bad behavior and should be abjured. 

WTF, how have France just had 1355 deaths with such low numbers of cases relatively? Are they doing something drastically different today I.e. recording in bulk, deaths that happened outside of hospitals in one day? 

4 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Fact checking required on that French fatalities data. Most of them seem to be unreported deaths from earlier.

This is fairly common. Swedish data is the same, some things getting reported in at different times, sometimes new criteria being applied and reclassifying some causes of death. I'd expect it'd be even more the case in France, Italy, and Spain.

Just now, Ran said:

This is fairly common. Swedish data is the same, some things getting reported in at different times, sometimes new criteria being applied and reclassifying some causes of death. I'd expect it'd be even more the case in France, Italy, and Spain.

Yes but this was a rather large re-classification of nursing home deaths - representing more than half of the reported fatalities. From what I’m reading anyway!

Turns out we have 10000something people under mandatory home quarantine. What on this godforsaken earth does that even mean? Are they people we suspect to have coronavirus but lack the resources to test? Where does this data come from? Why are these people in a quarantine? Are they contacts of the infected? Did they come back from abroad? We had a previous number of 61 people in quarantine, so what in the world is the difference between them and the ten thousand people? Were they quarantined in a hospital? Why? Where did this information even come from? You can’t just publish things like that without an explanation about the origin of this number. What was the purpose of publishing this now? What was the purpose of not publishing this before? I don’t understand anything and I find that frustrating to say the least. 

15 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Turns out we have 10000something people under mandatory home quarantine. What on this godforsaken earth does that even mean? Are they people we suspect to have coronavirus but lack the resources to test? Where does this data come from? Why are these people in a quarantine? Are they contacts of the infected? Did they come back from abroad? We had a previous number of 61 people in quarantine, so what in the world is the difference between them and the ten thousand people? Were they quarantined in a hospital? Why? Where did this information even come from? You can’t just publish things like that without an explanation about the origin of this number. What was the purpose of publishing this now? What was the purpose of not publishing this before? I don’t understand anything and I find that frustrating to say the least. 

Is it not people who have rang your health service to report symptoms or contact with someone infected and then been told they must quarantine?

Cloth / face masks going mandatory.

Here's link to an online video that show how to make a pretty damned effective face mask, that is very easy to do, if you have big rubber bands and bandanas, or fabric that is or can be cut to that size. 

It is so easy to do that even I could do it.  A very dear friend, who is aseamstress extraordinaire sent the link:

In the meantime the CDC was expected to announce as soon as today that the entire country is to wear cloth masks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/world/coronavirus-live-news-updates.html?

... is expected to announce as soon as Thursday that all Americans should wear cloth masks or other face coverings if they go out in public, based on a forthcoming recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that would mark a shift in federal guidance amid new concerns that the coronavirus is being spread by infected people who have no symptoms.

Until now, the C.D.C., like the World Health Organization, has advised that ordinary people don’t need to wear masks unless they are sick and coughing. Part of the reason was to preserve medical-grade masks, including N95 respirators, for health care workers who desperately need them at a time when they are in continuously short supply....

But according to a federal official, the C.D.C. will now recommend that everyone wear face coverings in public settings, like pharmacies and grocery stores, to avoid unwittingly spreading the virus. Public health officials have stressed that N95 masks should be saved for front line doctors and nurses, who have been in dire need of protective gear.

Earlier this week, Dr. Robert Redfield, the director of the C.D.C., confirmed in a radio interview that the agency was reviewing its guidelines on who should wear masks. Citing new data that shows high rates of transmission from people who are infected but show no symptoms, he said the guidance on mask wearing was “being critically re-reviewed, to see if there’s potential additional value for individuals that are infected or individuals that may be asymptomatically infected.”

On Wednesday, Mayor Eric Garcetti of Los Angeles urged all of that city’s residents to wear homemade, nonmedical face coverings, or even bandannas, when food shopping or doing other essential errands. Health officials in Riverside County, Calif., made a similar recommendation on Tuesday.
The federal official said the C.D.C.’s revised guidance stemmed from a request by the White House and the task force.

5 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Holy shit, I was talking with yet another doctor today (a friend of mine) and he said to absolutely avoid anxiolytics if you're experiencing respiratory problems (they may slow down your breathing and can thus worsen the problem). Paradoxically, these are only a good idea once you're in the clear from Covid-19 itself, which is why my doctor prescribed them to me.
@Zorral This (among other things) is why I wasn't too sure about using my experience... unless you're a doctor yourself it's impossible to know what should or shouldn't be done. Rule of thumb is to double-check everything you hear.

Thank you. I don't think anyone I know well enough to have sent this takes them.

Unless -- is medical cbd with a touch of THC an anxiolytic? I use it for chronic back pain due to damaged vertebrae.  It doesn't get me high at all, nor do I want it to.

As for the bread baking, people are stress and home baking for many reasons and doing it madly.  Including one of our oldest closest friends and colleagues, who lives across the street.  He is keeping us supplied with his home made corn bread (we give him other stuff, including rum -- it's so wonderful he's here and so close, even if we can't really talk but only do brief exchange hand-offs from a distance -- he at least bikes for hours after 10 PM)  -- which doesn't take yeast. But he makes other bread as well for his partner, who doesn't live with him, and himself.

A few observations from the dog walk:

1. Way more people are outside during work hours than when I normally walk her in the evening.

2. There's no perfect way to describe this, so I'll keep it simple, the dogs seem sad that they can't interact. Many were howling to one another as their humans practiced social distancing. 

3. Everyone is listening to something, thus further distancing themselves. There are a lot more quick pleasant greetings though. I hope one day the finger gun will be the universally accepted  standard. One gun means "hey, I see you, and wish you well" and two means"Sup buddy." A man can dream. 

And on that note, while holding the leash with the right hand, because of the increased greetings, I've come to realize that my lazy left hand wave kind of looks like Hitler's response to saluting Nazis. Will have to be conscious and work on that. 

15 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

WTF, how have France just had 1355 deaths with such low numbers of cases relatively? Are they doing something drastically different today I.e. recording in bulk, deaths that happened outside of hospitals in one day? 

The Worldometers site has a banner with this explanation:

France today reported 884 additional deaths that have occurred in nursing homes over the past days and weeks [source]. The French Government did not include these deaths in their official count, as their count only takes into consideration deaths of hospitalized patients. Following international standards of correct inclusion, our statistics will include these deaths, and will add them to the April 2, 2020 count following the attribution criteria of date of report.

If and when the French government determines and communicates the correct distribution of these additional deaths over time, we will adjust the historical data accordingly. A similar issue took place on February 12, when China reported an additional 13,332 new cases in a single day due to a change in how cases were diagnosed and reported in Hubei.

On a similar note I was wondering why Scotland reported fifty deaths today when the previous largest rise was sixteen. Apparently only ten of those fifty were for yesterday, the other forty were spread across the previous week and hadn't been reported at the time for reasons that I'm still a bit unclear on.

I think in general there are so many inconsistencies that it's risky to draw conclusions from looking at the daily death totals.

58 minutes ago, williamjm said:

The Worldometers site has a banner with this explanation:

On a similar note I was wondering why Scotland reported fifty deaths today when the previous largest rise was sixty. Apparently only ten of those fifty were for yesterday, the other forty were spread across the previous week and hadn't been reported at the time for reasons that I'm still a bit unclear on.

I think in general there are so many inconsistencies that it's risky to draw conclusions from looking at the daily death totals.

Agreed, but it’s still the best data we have. Daily new cases is even more flawed given testing limitations and inconsistencies.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

A few observations from the dog walk:

1. Way more people are outside during work hours than when I normally walk her in the evening.

2. There's no perfect way to describe this, so I'll keep it simple, the dogs seem sad that they can't interact. Many were howling to one another as their humans practiced social distancing. 

3. Everyone is listening to something, thus further distancing themselves. There are a lot more quick pleasant greetings though. I hope one day the finger gun will be the universally accepted  standard. One gun means "hey, I see you, and wish you well" and two means"Sup buddy." A man can dream. 

And on that note, while holding the leash with the right hand, because of the increased greetings, I've come to realize that my lazy left hand wave kind of looks like Hitler's response to saluting Nazis. Will have to be conscious and work on that. 

I will join you in the finger gun greeting, together we can spread this across Minnesota.

Also, Unemployment might be worth checking out, as it was specifically calling out a reduction in hours not necessarily just losing your position because of Covid-19.

Archived