Corona Horse, Corona Rider - Covid #9

Fragile Bird

21 hours ago, Toth said:

That's actually not at all different to anywhere else in terms of delivery services (with likely only the quality being much better for you) and the lack of yeast.

What is it with the yeast? I can't believe all Germans have turned into bakers all of a sudden just because there is a pandemic going on...

Oh really? I thought it wasn't common as it is here. 

They will write books on how pandemic turned everyone in great bakers....

21 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Wait, are food delivery services still operating in Italy? Here, they cancelled them the same time all the sit-down restaurants and cafés were closed

yes! they come home. Also some shops converted their work in delivery services, even if most of them are closed.

In the US because Jared Kushner's in charge, is why these highjackings -- and there are many like him -- here, as linked in my first post today above -- he and the chief blood on his hands are selling the US medical supply stockpile to commercial entities to sell to the states.  It's another FEMA disaster.  See the interview in the twitter link there with General Honoré.

And this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/technology/coronavirus-masks-shortage.html?

Last month, Susan Houghtelling, a hospital supply-chain manager in upstate New York, was facing a shortfall of medical supplies when her inbox suddenly flooded with offers.

There were advertisements for gallons of hand sanitizer, crates of isolation gowns and, most crucially, pallets of N95 masks — perhaps the most sought-after product on the planet. All were for prices that were multiples higher than what she normally paid.

“All of these people are coming out of the woodwork, and all of them mysteriously now have access to an abundant supply,” said Ms. Houghtelling, who works for three hospitals owned by Arnot Health, based in Elmira. She forwarded dozens of messages to The New York Times from brand-new vendors. One offered her boxes of 50 surgical masks for $70 each; she used to pay $2.28.

One solicitor in particular caught her attention: Blank Industries, a company that offered N95 masks for nearly $5 each — and only if Ms. Houghtelling ordered a million. She figured it was a scam.

Blank Industries is a real company, but it’s an ice-melt manufacturer in Hudson, Mass. In an interview, Andrew Blank, the founder, said he had upended his business to sell masks after hearing from a former Chinese supplier he had once hired to make a new kind of toothbrush. (Mr. Blank had invented it.) After the coronavirus hit, the supplier turned his dental-products plant into a mask factory. Mr. Blank told his 12 employees to stop selling rock salt and start selling masks.

Why was he charging $4.92 for each N95? “To be honest, I don’t even know what an N95 normally sells for,” he said.

I told him. “50 cents?” he repeated. His supplier was charging him $4.75.

The eruption in demand for dwindling amounts of masks has resulted in a kind of global supply-chain bedlam. In the United States, the federal government has decided against commandeering American factories to create a new stream of masks. Instead, federal officials are competing against states, hospitals and medical suppliers for the same pool of masks, which come mostly from China.

Yet states and hospitals, whose typical suppliers are overwhelmed and overextended, have little experience negotiating directly with the Chinese supply chain. Thousands of middlemen — entrepreneurs, do-gooders and profiteers — have rushed to fill the void.

That frenzy has created a mess of confusion, according to interviews with hospitals, factories and mask buyers. Production of masks is soaring, but so are scams, logistical hurdles and, of course, prices....

NY is well and truly effed.

17 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The beauty of the market...

And of course, what's being revealed is also that lots of "local" (i.e. national) producers closed in the past years because it wasn't profitable enough... Hence why so many Western countries are relying on China for masks.

This crisis really highlights the evils of unregulated capitalism. It's like an economics course in real time.

44 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Shit, New York alone is having more deaths per day than all but 3 or 4 countries. 600 today. 

Yeah, and today marks a full two weeks of the quarantine.  We've been social distancing before that but it's really only been two weeks of the "essential personnel only" order.  We also have a smaller population than Spain or Italy.  Hoping we see some kind of improvement in the curve soon.  

Some people still aren't taking this as seriously as they should, my fucking landlord was outside my place yesterday meeting with a contractor about paving a new driveway and doing some excavation work to be done this summer.    Completely non-essential.  I watched as they stood right next to each other and talked for 20 minutes.  Then a county highway Dept guy stopped by and walked right up to them, looked like they were going to shake hands but then stopped themselves.  Then the three of them talked to each other for another 20 minutes while standing maybe 2-3 ft apart. 

2 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Yeah, and today marks a full two weeks of the quarantine.  We've been social distancing before that but it's really only been two weeks of the "essential personnel only" order.  We also have a smaller population than Spain or Italy.  Hoping we see some kind of improvement in the curve soon.  

Some people still aren't taking this as seriously as they should, my fucking landlord was outside my place yesterday meeting with a contractor about paving a new driveway and doing some excavation work to be done this summer.    Completely non-essential.  I watched as they stood right next to each other and talked for 20 minutes.  Then a county highway Dept guy stopped by and walked right up to them, looked like they were going to shake hands but then stopped themselves.  Then the three of them talked to each other for another 20 minutes while standing maybe 2-3 ft apart. 

Does New York have a far higher population density than most other US cities? Hopefully nobody else gets it quite as bad. 

Edit, apparently 10 of 11 most densely populated areas in whole US are in NY. 

10 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

The BBC has done an article on the countries which don't yet have any cases - mostly either Pacific islands, poor countries that probably have a load of undiagnosed cases, or dictatorships that are probably lying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52120439

This is a terrible idea to put out there. We've already had cases in Canada of ignorant privileged douchebags heading north for isolation. This shit just puts a target on those non-lying nations back.

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

> about enjoying myself every time I lose myself in an activity, forget about the world and happen to feel light for a short while 

well it's important that you feel light for a while at least, it means you can still relax a bit. And with the news and the quarantine it's essential that you keep some time for activities you enjoy, it helps a lot...for not being overloaded.

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

about craving food all day and eating chocolate and biscuits because it means having to spend money on food and using up food and who knows if there will be food at all in a few months (my brain knows this is completely irrational and bonkers)

yes eating all day doesn't help, expecially the mood. The feeling "there will be not food" is understandable, because our mind doesn't understand what's going on, we never experienced something like this before, so our brain tries to figure all the possibilties out , and can't find the solution, it has no scheme for that. So the "emotional part" is not convinced of what the "rational part" is saying. XD

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

about any time spent not being active and productive or stressing about the situation (which is not helping anybody at all and I’m entitled to feel good or have leisure time in spite of what’s going on around the world because nobody will or can take care of my sanity if I don’t)

See above. We have the feeling we need a lot of infos to understand what's happening and be able to find the best solution for us. 

I do not sleep well at all and I miss the weightless, dreamless freedom of switching my brain off for the night at least

I had a lot of dreamless night the first days of quarantine, the worst days in Italy. Then I started to have a lot  of dreams.

I feel frustrated with myself that I am not smart enough to understand the “science” of the epidemic (in terms of biology, economics, social impact, statistics, etc) as well as with the media and the state issued information that doesn’t help my lack of knowledge and understanding

same as above. 

I also feel weirdly glad that I have a chance and the time to engage in projects and activities I could otherwise not incorporate into my everyday life (such as a makeover if not a full renovation of my mother’s house, dog training, etc) 

That's good!!

I constantly feel like I’m not doing enough (for myself, for my family, for the world) although this is a pre-existing feeling that was enhanced, rather than brought about by the virus situation

- I feel helpless and indecisive about making long term changes and arrangements in my life to adjust to new way of life 

- which is because I’m still unable to let go of the illusion that we will be over this one-two months rather than 6-12-18 and come to terms with the reality which is largely down to not having a solid understanding of the reality (see the frustration above) 

Well there's always the difficult to process what's going on as i said, but also there is the difficult to live the uncertainty for the future. We really can't do a lot of plans, because we can't focus on it. We are trying to elaborate new meanings, so we are "busy", we don't understand reality right now. Feeling indecisive and frustrated is normal because we must tolerate the uncertainty which normally it's not a good feeling for us, at least in our lives. This can create frustration or anxiety. 

But since you know how you feel, and you can also enjoy some things I think you are coping well, no?

Sorry for the long boring post. XD

36 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

This crisis really highlights the evils of unregulated capitalism. It's like an economics course in real time.

The lessons of which will not be practiced in this real time either.  :(

BTW -- here's a rundown on chemistry work with cannabis, though it's about what we call 'recreational' not medical.  Nor would I ever smoke anything even for medical reasons.  What I take are small tablets and they don't get one high, but they do muscle relax and fight chronic inflammatory pain.  The longer I take the stuff, the longer I can go feeling physically better, even after the exertions that always leave me screaming in pain.  It has also significantly reduced the spasms and cramps from the all the pinched nerve clusters due to the damaged vertebrae, which in turn have chewed up the disks.  Between this and exercise -- this is why I still can walk and so on.  Though for how much longer with my exercise being so cut off?  But we're still trying to work out how I can do this even in these circumstances.  But not outdoors, alas, which is what we'd initially thought.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/magazine/cannabis-science.html?

13 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

This is a terrible idea to put out there. We've already had cases in Canada of ignorant privileged douchebags heading north for isolation. This shit just puts a target on those non-lying nations back.

Fortunately, the Pacific islands at least (which probably are the only places that truly don't have the virus yet) are isolated enough that they can probably keep everyone out. The article says that Nauru for instance is only allowing a single flight now, its from Brisbane once every 2 weeks, and anyone who arrives is required to quarantine for 14 days. Considering how devastating the virus would be on their health systems, it makes sense to lock down completely.

The Samoan Islands managed to self-isolate the entire duration of the Spanish Flu and never get it; hopefully Nauru and the others can have similar success.

There are several states with a ton of cases/fatalities that get the vast majority of press coverage in the states (namely NY, NJ, WA, MI and LA).  I looked a little closer to see where we might be missing the story due to very little testing.  So I checked https://covidtracking.com/data/

Looking at states with relatively few tests/capita and relatively high rates of positive cases/test, gets this list of states with potential problems on the horizon: GA, MS, OK and SC.  Which is pretty concerning because as far as my quick check, GA only closed nonessential businesses yesterday, and the other three have yet to do so.  Not a great sign. 

3 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The GA situation is understandable because the governor didn't know asymptotic people could be carriers till...24-48 hours ago. These anti-science Republicans are going to take us over the cliff with them.

Instead they could have had Stacy Abrams as governor, who would have known there was a CDC 5 miles from the governor's mansion and that asymptomatic people transmit.

They already have taken us over the cliff. We're not climbing back any time soon, and maybe never.

The province of Ontario just released it's best case, medium case and worst case scenario projections. It's the first province in Canada to release death projections. Here is a link to a National Post article linking the full text of Ontario's modelling report. Our population is 14.5 M.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/public-health-ontario-covid19-modelling-technical-briefing-full-text

The modelling shows a potential of 100,000 deaths in Ontario if no actions were taken. If no measures were taken, we might have 300,000 cases by the end of April and 6,000 deaths.

Even so, they are suggesting 1,600 deaths by the end of April and 80,000 cases.

Stricter measures would mean 250 deaths and 12,500 cases.

Sounds like we are going into stricter measures.

As of today, we have 3,255 cases and 67 deaths. 20 deaths occurred in one long term care facility alone.

It's hard to sell this as a positive stat, but Italy's daily fatalities number is effectively unchanged since March 21 (at about 800/day). This is the kind of "bending" that the national lockdown was designed to achieve. But obviously the risk of further waves in the hitherto less-affected South remains significant.

Donald Trump called 3M yesterday and demanded all medical equipment being made in China be shipped to the US, and ordered them not to ship to Canada and Latin America. He also demanded 10M N95 masks that were made for the Asian market be diverted to the US.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2020/04/03/3m-blasts-back-at-trump-company-says-not-selling-masks-to-canada-could-spark-retaliation/#2f2ec1b17465

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Donald Trump called 3M yesterday and demanded all medical equipment being made in China be shipped to the US, and ordered them not to ship to Canada and Latin America. He also demanded 10M N95 masks that were made for the Asian market be diverted to the US.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2020/04/03/3m-blasts-back-at-trump-company-says-not-selling-masks-to-canada-could-spark-retaliation/#2f2ec1b17465

What Trump is doing is robbery. People will not forget. Stupid narcissist. There is a real possibility, for the first time in over 60 years, that NATO as an entity will cease to exist. The mood towards the US, at least in Germany is the most toxic I have ever seen it. Trump, not only totally incompetent, but the perfect symbol of American (unjustified) arrogance. The worst president the country has ever seen. 

Archived