Corona Horse, Corona Rider - Covid #9

Fragile Bird

On 4/3/2020 at 1:49 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

The GA situation is understandable because the governor didn't know asymptotic people could be carriers till...24-48 hours ago. These anti-science Republicans are going to take us over the cliff with them.

I heard that Thursday night.  I think he’s lying through his teeth.

6 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

This is Minnesota, people do not leave here, just look at Prince. Though the people that do leave actually seem to end up in Alaska. Alaska, however, is not a safe place for a year of el Camino for which there are no aftermarket parts. Though driving to Alaska would probably still be doable if the ferries are still running on the west coast.

Prince did live in Toronto for a few years.

Where are the U.S. federal stockpiles of PPE equipment?  I'm imagining scenarios where a fed up governor sends his/her state's national guard in to confiscate them, and the U.S. army or whoever has them would most probably just look the other way.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

I like your persistence!  I also like how you're prioritizing el Camino's long-term safety.  But yeah a quick google tells me that that the ferries won't be back up til at least mid-May.  Anyway, not sure everyone got this, but it was just a lame Breaking Bad/Jesse Pinkman joke.

That is the worst body style of el Camino and I’m insulted you may have thought that’s the one I had.

7 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

That is the worst body style of el Camino and I’m insulted you may have thought that’s the one I had.

Hey, it's not like Jesse chose the damn car, it was Todd's.  I'm shocked that a creepy sociopathic white supremacist did not share your taste!

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

If all of those things are likely to be more like that 12-18 month timeline does that then mean that we cannot really lift the stay at home at any time before then without risking that we have a new spike in infections?  And if that's the case even a lot of people that really understand the rationale for the distancing measures are going to get really antsy to change course. 

We won't have a true return to normalcy for 12 to 18 months.  But the hope is that in 2 months we will have much better and faster testing, more hospital capacity, more ventilators, etc, and can carefully start thawing out the world.  People will still need to practice distancing, there won't be any sports events or concerts, but you can go to work and go see your friends in small groups and everyone still needs to be super careful about washing hands.  This will mean that the r is hopefully still reduced to like 1.2 or something. 

Then when it starts spreading, which it will, we have widespread testing and we'll know when and where relatively quickly.  We can shut down one office or one zip code for three weeks, and the rest of the country goes on.  Use the scalpel of limited quarantine, not the hammer of state/national lockdown.  It will suck, and be painfully slow, but we'll limp along until the vaccine can put this thing truly behind us.

A few weeks ago I wasn't having any luck finding per capita stats for the various state and counties here in the U.S.

You could find the per capita stats for countries at the Worldometer site but it wouldn't break cases down to individual states and counties on a per capita basis.

However today I've found this site at the NYT

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/wisconsin-coronavirus-cases.html

You have state and county per capita stats available there, as opposed to just national per capita stats.

I find this a much better and meaningful measurement for how we are faring within our various communities.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

We won't have a true return to normalcy for 12 to 18 months.  But the hope is that in 2 months we will have much better and faster testing, more hospital capacity, more ventilators, etc, and can carefully start thawing out the world.  People will still need to practice distancing, there won't be any sports events or concerts, but you can go to work and go see your friends in small groups and everyone still needs to be super careful about washing hands.  This will mean that the r is hopefully still reduced to like 1.2 or something. 

Then when it starts spreading, which it will, we have widespread testing and we'll know when and where relatively quickly.  We can shut down one office or one zip code for three weeks, and the rest of the country goes on.  Use the scalpel of limited quarantine, not the hammer of state/national lockdown.  It will suck, and be painfully slow, but we'll limp along until the vaccine can put this thing truly behind us.

12 hours ago, JoannaL said:

This isnt true , is it????? The chinese wild animal markets brought us SARS, then they -didnt learn from it- and now with have SARS 2, now they don't learn and we will get SARS 3 in 10 years which will be even more deadly???

What about their responsibility to the world!!!

I'm beginning to wonder whether it IS true or not.   I'm not sure what I expected, but it was more than silence.  Oh, Hereward responded, but I suspect he was having me on.  

China is now a hero to the world because it's sending protective equipment to countries that need them for a disease their stupid fucking practices CAUSED? and now they're going back to these practices, only now they have forbidden pictures being taken?  Or is this story untrue?  

FFS.

The CDC now recommends that people wear masks in public places. I dusted off the sewing machine and made about 10 masks today.  My in-laws called and asked for two. Several friends also asked. I’m running out of elastic and/or ribbons for the ties. 

I don't think it's fair to say their practices caused the outbreak, it's just the avenue this particular disease followed. Blaming it on them is just looking for someone to blame, when the reality is that this is an incredibly terrible and shitty thing that is always a risk from many different avenues.

There are meat practices in the west that are only different in that they're what we're more familiar with. Factory farmed meat could easily wind up a vector for an illness outbreak and that's heavily used in the US, the UK thought making cows cannibals was a good idea and unleashed mad cow disease.

Outbreaks will happen, what we have more control (as a society, not an individual) over is how we respond to them. And for all that it was self interested, China's eventual lock down bought the rest of the world time to prepare, the fact that we all squandered that time is on us and our leaders. They're a country of over 1.3 billion people who don't deserve to be treated, or damned, as a collective. I have no love for their government, but that's not the people. Now is the time to focus on our shared humanity.

Scientists have ruled out Covid 19 being engineered and say it has natural origins, it's features are the result of evolutionary behavior.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200317175442.htm

And a article about a week later adding to our understanding

Missing link in coronavirus jump from bats to humans could be pangolins, not snakes https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200326144342.htm

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

I don't think it's fair to say their practices caused the outbreak, it's just the avenue this particular disease followed. Blaming it on them is just looking for someone to blame, when the reality is that this is an incredibly terrible and shitty thing that is always a risk from many different avenues.

There are meat practices in the west that are only different in that they're what we're more familiar with. Factory farmed meat could easily wind up a vector for an illness outbreak and that's heavily used in the US, the UK thought making cows cannibals was a good idea and unleashed mad cow disease.

Outbreaks will happen, what we have more control (as a society, not an individual) over is how we respond to them. And for all that it was self interested, China's eventual lock down bought the rest of the world time to prepare, the fact that we all squandered that time is on us and our leaders. They're a country of over 1.3 billion people who don't deserve to be treated, or damned, as a collective. I have no love for their government, but that's not the people. Now is the time to focus on our shared humanity.

I think there’s definitely an element of chance and bad luck to this, but this isn’t the first time a disease has emerged from China’s wet markets. When the first SARS cases arose in 2003 they were traded back to a wet market in Guangzhou. And now of course we have the whole mess in Wuhan and the bat/pangolin origin story we all know. There’s a clear pattern at play here. Regulation of these markets isn’t all that strict, it’s not as if the FDA is walking around these and it’s pretty easy to set up shop. So while I’m sure there weren’t any bad intentions here there should be significant international pressure for China to shutdown or at the very least heavily regulate these places. Anything less is just waiting for this to happen all over again. 

58 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

I think there’s definitely an element of chance and bad luck to this, but this isn’t the first time a disease has emerged from China’s wet markets. When the first SARS cases arose in 2003 they were traded back to a wet market in Guangzhou. And now of course we have the whole mess in Wuhan and the bat/pangolin origin story we all know. There’s a clear pattern at play here. Regulation of these markets isn’t all that strict, it’s not as if the FDA is walking around these and it’s pretty easy to set up shop. So while I’m sure there weren’t any bad intentions here there should be significant international pressure for China to shutdown or at the very least heavily regulate these places. Anything less is just waiting for this to happen all over again. 

How do you regulate something like this?  What would a 'regulated' market look like?  Someone running around testing millions of animals for a virus we don't have a test for?  

They've had two outbreaks over 15 years or so.  Should other countries shut down all animal sales?  

I guess my point is, what type of regulation would have stopped this?

New York has 85,000 medical volunteers, including 22,000 coming in from out of state.

Hero/Heroine(s) of extraordinary, selfless, sacrifice and service. I am so thankful, impressed and grateful there are such souls among us.

Some context on what wet market actually means

ETA: The focus on this is yet another right wing attempt to get everyone looking at the foreign/other and ignoring their own incompetent and/or malicious practices. Don't buy into their propaganda.

This is not wholly accurate. If she had written, "fish/meat, and in China the occasional live domestic and wild animals for consumption" that would be more accurate and get at what the actual objection is. The wet markets aren't the problem, per se, the live wild animals at some of those wet markets are. Which is why they were banned in 2003 for a time, and why China has put the ban out again. 

Archived