Corona Horse, Corona Rider - Covid #9

Fragile Bird

23 hours ago, Zorral said:

Which they can't of course, because doing research with it is nearly illegal.  It's outside the profession of scientists and physicians this is going on.  

Given the reasoning was related to the sedative effect of the anxiolytics having a dangerous impact on an already weakened respiratory system I suspect it was predominantly addressing benzos. I doubt cbd was being considered at all in that statement, although I have no idea whether it does have a sedative effect on the respiratory system.

Usual disclaimer that I'm not a doctor either, just attempting the parse what was being discussed.

9 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

In one of the addresses this week, MN governor Walz hinted that schools probably won’t open again this year. I guessing that means that I also will not be returning to work in the beginning of May like is the current plan. It is very weird that it doesn’t matter at all what time of day it is for me anymore. But I do expect to make a lot of progress restoring the el Camino

8 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I think the best case is we re-open in May, but they are playing a numbers game, is the number of projected serious cases going to be covered by the number of ICU beds.  Once we know that, then things might loosen up.

Doubtful. All hospitals are in the dark for four to eight weeks statewide. I would take that as they don't think society will return to anything normal for a long time. 

Sorry Kay, but you're probably not inking anyone for a considerable amount of time. Probably not until there's a vaccine. And the 12 to 18 month range is just more of the "happy talk." It could take years. 

I'm sorry to hear about that @Jeor, but since I've been accused of hoping everyone dies to prove I was correct....

:P

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah. I know everyone's saying sport isn't important at a time like this but I miss it probably a bit more than I should. Watching highlights of old games really isn't cutting it.

In other depressing news the decision has been made to have the end of season drinks for my rugby club via Zoom. Ffs.

I know the feeling, but don't watch old games you already know. Learn about different sports! I know jack shit about rugby, but have been enjoying YouTubing random classics. Idk what sports you do or don't watch, but for example, if you've never seen a hockey game that mattered, watch some classics. Or just go watch some old Olympics you never knew about (P.S. The Americans won at basketball, ya'll are trash). 

52 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I know the feeling, but don't watch old games you already know. Learn about different sports! I know jack shit about rugby, but have been enjoying YouTubing random classics.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Once you get it running does that mean your plan is to drive to Alaska?  Not the worst idea.

You'd have to drive through Canadian territory by then though, right? In two weeks, the way President Shithole is going, there may be Mounties at the border to keep plague-ridden Americans out.

23 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Lol, keep em coming. If this goes on for as long as I suspect, I might actually view Cricket as something more than a prolonged home run derby.

I had a bit of fun going to the liquor store. Since we have to wear masks now, I wore my black bandanna, a long black jacket and all black clothing. I also wore my custom Oakleys, which are bright purple and blue (Frieza goggles, as I call them). Makes a bit of a menacing look. The owner paused before he busted out laughing, because he knew because of the shades that it was me. He told me he thought for a moment that he'd need to get a gun. 

I've got my post-apocalypse look down. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Once you get it running does that mean your plan is to drive to Alaska?  Not the worst idea.

This is Minnesota, people do not leave here, just look at Prince. Though the people that do leave actually seem to end up in Alaska. Alaska, however, is not a safe place for a year of el Camino for which there are no aftermarket parts. Though driving to Alaska would probably still be doable if the ferries are still running on the west coast.

14 hours ago, Triskele said:

With such a fast-moving thread apologies if this has been mentioned already, but what do you all think if this concept of the immunity certificate?  

I think it's a good idea in concept, but right now I'm skeptical that we have a good enough antibody test with an acceptably low false positive rate.  I think the FDA just approved one for emergency use only, but I have no idea how accurate it is.  My guess is that it is mediocre, but I could be wrong.  There is a lot of money to be made with these tests, so all sorts of people are coming out of the woodwork.

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, keep em coming. If this goes on for as long as I suspect, I might actually view Cricket as something more than a prolonged home run derby.

Looks like they're doing one a day - thought tonight's is one of my very favourite matches!

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

This is Minnesota, people do not leave here, just look at Prince. Though the people that do leave actually seem to end up in Alaska. Alaska, however, is not a safe place for a year of el Camino for which there are no aftermarket parts. Though driving to Alaska would probably still be doable if the ferries are still running on the west coast.

I've lived in L.A., just a stone's throw from the beach by their standards. I've lived in Liberty City, a hood of Miami. I've lived in Buenos Aires, in the nicest part of the city. Shared a flop house in D.C.

Always came back home, for better or worse. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Doubtful. All hospitals are in the dark for four to eight weeks statewide. I would take that as they don't think society will return to anything normal for a long time. 

Sorry Kay, but you're probably not inking anyone for a considerable amount of time. Probably not until there's a vaccine. And the 12 to 18 month range is just more of the "happy talk." It could take years. 

I know best case, realistically we're in this situation until June.

I am more hopeful for normalcy in 12 to 18 months either through vaccines, immunity boosters and/or just a better understanding and process on hiw to live with this thing.   There is a ton of effort and money bring thrown at this problem.

It is just, the US used to be the ones to spearhead this kind of response and we've given that role up.

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Alaska, however, is not a safe place for a year of el Camino for which there are no aftermarket parts. Though driving to Alaska would probably still be doable if the ferries are still running on the west coast.

I like your persistence!  I also like how you're prioritizing el Camino's long-term safety.  But yeah a quick google tells me that that the ferries won't be back up til at least mid-May.  Anyway, not sure everyone got this, but it was just a lame Breaking Bad/Jesse Pinkman joke.

2 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

My Minnesota farm cousins moved to Alaska in the 20's.

Worldometer has now added columns for number of tests and tests per million population. And sorry, Australia, you are not #1. Well, maybe!

I am not going to include Luxembourg at #2 with it's population of 602,000 (36,412 tested per million of population). Or Iceland at #1, population of 364,260 (69,276). Or Bahrain, or Gibraltar, or the Isle of Man, or Malta. I used a cut-off of 5 M population, and the highlighted countries are the ones I consider the top testing countries, those with a population greater than 20 M. It's nice that the UAE and Switzerland tested so much, but they are smaller than my province (14.5 M), and Norway is smaller than Toronto and environs. And Germany has an asterisk because of this 10 samples mixed together thing. Have they actually done 900,000 tests or have they really done fewer than the 302,000 Canada has done?

1.  The UAE pop. 9.4 M - 22,224

2.  Norway pop. 5.36 M -19,528

3.  Switzerland pop. 8.57 M - 17,729

4. Hong Kong pop. 7.4 M - 12,005

5. Austria pop. 8.8 M - 11,562

6. Australia pop. 24.6 M - 11,203

7. Germany pop. 82.8 M - 10,962*

8. Italy pop. 60.5 M - 10,870

9. Israel pop. 8.7 M - 10,443

10. South Korea pop. 51.5 M - 8,875

11. Canada pop. 37.6 M - 8,021

12. Portugal pop. 10.3 M - 7,952

13. Spain pop. 46.7 M - 7,593

14. Denmark pop. 5.4 M - 7,055

The USA is currently at pop. 327 M - 4,540.

1 hour ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I know best case, realistically we're in this situation until June.

I am more hopeful for normalcy in 12 to 18 months either through vaccines, immunity boosters and/or just a better understanding and process on hiw to live with this thing.   There is a ton of effort and money bring thrown at this problem.

It is just, the US used to be the ones to spearhead this kind of response and we've given that role up.

I more hopeful for 12 to 18 months based on these White Claws.

Archived