Must do emergency travel

Ormond

Ormond, I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I am so glad that you decided to make the trip. I hope she passes peacefully, and I am glad you got to see her one last time. Take care of yourself.

18 hours ago, Ormond said:

Wanted you all to know I made it to Mt. Juliet OK. Almost everyone in all three airports (Omaha, Chicago O'Hare, Nashville) were doing good social distancing. The taxi driver from the Nashville airport to my motel squirted sanitizer on my hands when I got out of the cab. I did not have any time to find mask or gloves before leaving Omaha but I certainly am washing, washing, washing.

I'm so sorry, but glad you made and are washing!

I am back in my hotel room after spending most of the day with my mother and sister at the nursing home. Mother seemed to be sleeping the entire time I was there -- no response to any questions or conversation. We did talk to her, mentioning incidents from her life and even singing a few songs --"All Through the Night" and some songs from My Fair Lady, which Mary and I memorized as children from playing the cast album of that musical. Mary also played her songs from the Gaithers and Elvis Presley on her smart phone. We hope some of that got through. The nursing home does not allow us to visit at night. I am very impressed by this nursing home's response to the present crisis -- we were the only visitors allowed in because Mother is in hospice care. They took our temperatures and we had to wear masks and gloves the whole time we were there. I learned that a mask makes me feel much hotter at a room temperature of 72 degrees than 70. The nurse practitioner said Mother could pass tonight or that it could be several more days -- unpredictable. Even though I didn't have any visible response from Mother today I am glad I came. Will keep you all posted. --

Oh, and my sister is one of the founders of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center Sewing Group. Up until now they've mostly made various items for recovering cancer patients, but now like most such groups they are making masks. The first thing my sister did this morning was give me one of those masks, so I will have at least that sort of "amateur" mask for my return trip whenever it happens.

15 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I am back in my hotel room after spending most of the day with my mother and sister at the nursing home. Mother seemed to be sleeping the entire time I was there -- no response to any questions or conversation. We did talk to her, mentioning incidents from her life and even singing a few songs --"All Through the Night" and some songs from My Fair Lady, which Mary and I memorized as children from playing the cast album of that musical. Mary also played her songs from the Gaithers and Elvis Presley on her smart phone. We hope some of that got through. The nursing home does not allow us to visit at night. I am very impressed by this nursing home's response to the present crisis -- we were the only visitors allowed in because Mother is in hospice care. They took our temperatures and we had to wear masks and gloves the whole time we were there. I learned that a mask makes me feel much hotter at a room temperature of 72 degrees than 70. The nurse practitioner said Mother could pass tonight or that it could be several more days -- unpredictable. Even though I didn't have any visible response from Mother today I am glad I came. Will keep you all posted. --

Oh, and my sister is one of the founders of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center Sewing Group. Up until now they've mostly made various items for recovering cancer patients, but now like most such groups they are making masks. The first thing my sister did this morning was give me one of those masks, so I will have at least that sort of "amateur" mask for my return trip whenever it happens.

Ormond, when you get home and take the mask off, do not touch your face until you have washed your hands. If you have hand sanitizer, clean your hands as soon as you take it off. If possible, have a plastic bag in your pocket and bag the mask, then wash or santize your hands. Empty the bagged mask into the washing machine or hand wash it with lots of soap and water. The water temperature doesn't matter, the soap kills the virus. You may want to wash all the clothes you took to Tennessee too, and wipe down your luggage. Better safe than sorry.

I'm glad the two of you could spend the time with your mom. I pray she goes gently to meet her maker. 

11 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ormond, when you get home and take the mask off, do not touch your face until you have washed your hands. If you have hand sanitizer, clean your hands as soon as you take it off. If possible, have a plastic bag in your pocket and bag the mask, then wash or santize your hands. Empty the bagged mask into the washing machine or hand wash it with lots of soap and water. The water temperature doesn't matter, the soap kills the virus. You may want to wash all the clothes you took to Tennessee too, and wipe down your luggage. Better safe than sorry.

I'm glad the two of you could spend the time with your mom. I pray she goes gently to meet her maker. 

My problem with clothes is that I live in an apartment building with one laundry room for 32 apartments. I was scared of doing laundry before I left for Tennessee, 

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

My problem with clothes is that I live in an apartment building with one laundry room for 32 apartments. I was scared of doing laundry before I left for Tennessee, 

Well, the virus won’t live long on clothes. Do you have a balcony where you can hang the clothes for a day? But wash the mask in your bathroom sink so you can safely wear it whenever you need it.

You will run out of clean clothes, though. Washing underwear in the bathroom is something women have long done. Is your apartment a big building? Can management assign times? A seniors hour, like the grocery store?

12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, the virus won’t live long on clothes. Do you have a balcony where you can hang the clothes for a day? But wash the mask in your bathroom sink so you can safely wear it whenever you need it.

You will run out of clean clothes, though. Washing underwear in the bathroom is something women have long done. Is your apartment a big building? Can management assign times? A seniors hour, like the grocery store?

Have no balcony. My apartment building is an old elementary school that has been turned into apartments and it has to look exactly the same on the outside as it did when it was a school for the owner to get historic preservation tax credits. The building is also owned by a family and this is the only building they own -- no management company.  They have asked the people with children in the building to keep their kids out of the halls and the laundry room. I wonder if taking a bottle of germ-killing cleanser to the laundry room with me and wiping off all the outside surfaces of the machines would be enough. I am not really afraid of virus inside the washers surviving the detergent. 

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I wonder if taking a bottle of germ-killing cleanser to the laundry room with me and wiping off all the outside surfaces of the machines would be enough. I am not really afraid of virus inside the washers surviving the detergent. 

YES. This particularly includes wiping down the door handles and the setting buttons etc.  Wiping the top surfaces is really important.  If you can wear gloves for the process, for before, and again when coming back to take out the clothes and putting them in the dryers.  If there are baskets/carts, wipe down the parts you will be touching with your hands.  Wash cleaning the surfaces and filling the machines.  Wash again when or after you bring your clothes back to your apartment.  Wash the gloves too, if you have them.  Dish detergent is particularly good for all these hand and glove washings -- stronger than the easy-on-the-skin hand soaps most of us use in normal times.  Dish soap and hot water!

I got a call from my sister about an hour ago telling me the nursing home called her at 11pm last night to tell her our mother had just passed. She said she didn't call me until this morning because she wanted one of us to get a good night's sleep.
I have to go to the funeral home with Mary later today to sign some paperwork. I will shortly be contacting a travel agent to see if I can return to Omaha tomorrow.
Thank you all again so much for your thoughts, prayers, and support. I know that Mother would thank you too if she could. We were so blessed to have her for so long.
Because Mother was 98 there would always have been a gap between her death and a memorial service, but now that gap will be much longer than we thought because of the present crisis. We will probably not be having it until some time in the fall.
I will keep you all posted.

Archived