Leo Tyrell and Samwell Tarly

Big P

Interesting. I suspect that the Leo Tyrell who shows up at the Quill and Tankard in the preface to AFfC is actually "the Alchemist," showing up on time, as he promised Pate he would. (The real Leo Tyrell is confined to the Citadel for some infraction, as the other novices indicate.) If readers are correct in assuming that the Alchemist is a Faceless Man, then there is a link from Leo through the Alchemist to Arya. So we could look for clues in the encounter of Sam and Arya in Braavos, and possibly the death of Dareon, to infer what might happen between Sam and Leo as the stories unfold.

If the faceless man has assumed the identity of Pate later in AFfC, then the Leo in the later Citadel scene is probably the real Leo again. I suspect all Tyrells carry the symbolism of Garth Greenhands. A conflict between Sam and Leo might be part of a larger motif of brown / green or (possibly) dirt / flora that I have started trying to sort out.

Sam himself is a pig boy - he was called Ser Piggy and other pig-related names in his early days at Castle Black. So GRRM is hinting that we should compare Sam to Pate. Another pig boy in the series is Micah, the son of the Winterfell butcher. After the Hound kills him, his body is brought back to his father who initially thinks he is seeing the body of a slaughtered pig.

3 hours ago, Seams said:

So GRRM is hinting that we should compare Sam to Pate.

Nice. Never thought of that.

Actually, I'd never thought how likely was that Leo Tyrell would became the new bully for Sam, but it makes a lot of sense. Maybe we'll be able to see how much Sam grew at the Wall by the way he handles Leo.

Leo seems to have a lot of information.  He's well-informed.  Samwell is not.  They don't have to like each other but they can work together to survive Euron's attack.  Euron is a threat to everybody in the reach.  To the Tyrells and to the Tarlys.  Samwell loves Gilly and the baby, so unless they're on their way to Meereen, they're in danger too.  The boys can work together. 

Archived