US Politics: coughing for peace is like dying for the economy

38 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

My lord, the lunacy of a Trump press conference.

It was clear always there were a large number of really stupid and loonytunes people, but until the last few years it didn't seem to be true they were in the majority -- and that they were really and truly totally in charge.

But then, even in 1818 John Quincy Adams, as Pres. James Monroe's Sec of State saw that the slave power south was 'insane.'  That's the word he uses in his Diaries.  Later, his son, and grandson, in D.C. before the 1859 election and while wondering whether or not Lincoln would even get to D.C. for his inauguration before being assassinated, both used the word frequently to describe what the southern congresscritters and senators and the rest, and what they were doing to the capital and the treasury and the military and even the library.  They couldn't think of another word that could possibly describe these people.  And the Adams family was nothing if not chock a block with words that could describe everything, and in many languages including latin, and with JQ, even Greek.

And 5-4 SCOTUS has thrown out the extended absentee voting for Wisconsin. The really big problem is that a lot of people haven't gotten their ballots yet because of the backlog of requests and the election is tomorrow. If they didn't show up in the mail tonight so they can be postmarked tomorrow, then people either need to vote in person (which is near impossible even if they want to, there's going to be so few poll locations open) or they don't get to vote.

As a reminder, this isn't really about the Democratic primary, that just happens to coincide with a bunch of state elections; the most important being a state supreme court seat which is supposedly very close.

At this point, even Democrats get something about vote-by-mail added to the next COVID-19 bill, SCOTUS will probably just throw it out as unconstitutional. 

Elections have consequences; all those dumb fucks who refused to vote for Clinton in 2016.

2 hours ago, Rippounet said:

"Regulations bad, growth good."

You'd think after -almost- 50 years of that line smart people would have realized what the problem is.

Did you just call me smart?  Because I'm missing the point!

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Really, the economy has for whatever reasons stayed largely the same trajectory-wise as it was under Obama. The one exception was the stock market, which had a major boost. Everything else though - wage growth, unemployment, actual jobs - has stayed on the same 1-2% growth trajectory that it was since about 2010.

The Obama economy ended in February of 2020 dontcha know?  But seriously, were all of those stories about the lowest black unemployment ever etc last year bullshit?  Regulation matters.  Not importing 8 figures of undocumented workers helps tighten up the labor market too.  Black jobs matter!

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

He looks good today.  Kind of weird how he only put sunscreen on his eyelids, but maybe it helps his golf game.

Josh Hawley sets up potential clash in GOP with coronavirus push:

The freshman Missouri GOP senator is pitching far-reaching proposals, including the federal government directly financing businesses to keep millions of workers on their payrolls — part of what he calls a “survival then surge” strategy in the face of a sputtering economy and dozens of state stay-at-home orders.

It’s not exactly GOP orthodoxy to push for even greater intervention in the economy after providing new unemployment benefits, direct cash payments and more than a quarter trillion dollars in loans and grants to small businesses. But Hawley argued in a telephone interview Monday that the economic severity in the country is “much bigger and much more severe than many other people anticipated,” and Congress needs to act accordingly.

Wisconsin Supreme Court overturns governor, orders Tuesday elections to proceed
The U.S. Supreme Court also overturned a lower court's order extending the absentee ballot deadline in the state.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/06/wisconsin-governor-orders-stop-to-in-person-voting-on-eve-of-election-168527

Wisconsin's state Supreme Court blocked Gov. Tony Evers’ late executive order postponing in-person voting in Tuesday's elections, meaning the state’s presidential primary and hundreds of local elections will proceed hours after the governor announced he was postponing them due to coronavirus.

The ruling came after the GOP-controlled state legislature challenged Evers' order. The state Supreme Court split 4-2 along ideological lines, with Justice Daniel Kelly, who is up for reelection in Tuesday's balloting, abstaining.

An hour later, the U.S. Supreme Court also ruled in favor of Republicans, partially blocking a lower court's extension of the absentee ballot deadline in the state in a decision that also divided the justices ideologically.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Time to bring out that bingo card. :P

Try to imagine all those people with the heads of some animal (except for Fauci). It'll pass the time. Trump has the bloated goldfish look down well. :D

8 hours ago, Ran said:

Molby's address to the crew of the Theodore Roosevelt. Check out the 1:58 mark or so.

The full speech is even worse than the couple of snippets I'd heard. I particularly appreciate him quoting his own speech to a graduating class urging officers to put the men under them ahead of themselves while justifying firing a Captain for putting his crew above his career. And berates the crew for cheering him.

3 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Wisconsin Supreme Court overturns governor, orders Tuesday elections to proceed
The U.S. Supreme Court also overturned a lower court's order extending the absentee ballot deadline in the state.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/06/wisconsin-governor-orders-stop-to-in-person-voting-on-eve-of-election-168527

i find myself wondering if this mess in Wisconsin and other republican/conservative behavior elsewhere (like the dying for the 401 K thing) might not backfire big time.   

4 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

i find myself wondering if this mess in Wisconsin and other republican/conservative behavior elsewhere (like the dying for the 401 K thing) might not backfire big time.   

Well, it will definitely cause Americans deaths. It's the perfect crime though. No one can prove the specific people that were killed by this decision.

22 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

I'm going to be assisting at my local polling location (suburban, but we're pretty much Milwaukee).  It'll be interesting tomorrow morning.  I actually dropped off the absentee ballots that Mrs. Jax and I had gotten earlier and there was a slow, but steady stream of people bringing in their ballots today...

45 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Well, it will definitely cause Americans deaths. It's the perfect crime though. No one can prove the specific people that were killed by this decision.

proof is not needed - merely the court decisions showing that republicans in this instance and others put personal power above public safety and life.  ready made attack add material.  direct specifically at republican audiences, emphasizing how these people almost got YOU (republicans) killed for no good reason at all. 

Lack of testing leading to leading to definite undercounting of COVID-19 deaths.

Other death investigators are equally frustrated and worried about coronavirus deaths being missed. A coroner in Wyoming, the only state that still hasn't reported any deaths due to the virus, said he seriously doubts its official death count, and told CNN he hasn't been able to test a number of suspected cases. And an Ohio coroner said she believes at least four deaths in her county have already been left uncounted.

14 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Did you just call me smart?  Because I'm missing the point!

The Obama economy ended in February of 2020 dontcha know?  But seriously, were all of those stories about the lowest black unemployment ever etc last year bullshit?  Regulation matters.  Not importing 8 figures of undocumented workers helps tighten up the labor market too.  Black jobs matter!

He looks good today.  Kind of weird how he only put sunscreen on his eyelids, but maybe it helps his golf game.

No sunscreen on the eyelids. He uses those little goggles that they give you when you are in a tanning booth that protect your eyes from UV radiation, while he is probably naked in a tanning booth. Now try getting that image out of your head.

19 minutes ago, maarsen said:

No sunscreen on the eyelids. He uses those little goggles that they give you when you are in a tanning booth that protect your eyes from UV radiation, while he is probably naked in a tanning booth. Now try getting that image out of your head.

He uses self-tanner. That said, yes, it's definitely not sunscreen, that's genuinely his natural skin tone, he just doesn't apply the tanner there and so he looks like ... I don't know what. What he looks like.

12 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm going to be assisting at my local polling location (suburban, but we're pretty much Milwaukee).  It'll be interesting tomorrow morning.  I actually dropped off the absentee ballots that Mrs. Jax and I had gotten earlier and there was a slow, but steady stream of people bringing in their ballots today...

Not sure how it's going in Milwaukee, but I've some images. Same with a couple other counties as well. I've been assisting at my local polling place all morning.  My town only consolidated a couple locations, so there are still plenty of places in town.  The room I'm in serves two wards, one of which is the largest in town.  We were told the town saw around 80% of the population request absentee ballots and they'd seen close to 70% of those already returned. 

This polling location has been open three and a half hours and we've yet to hit 25 walk in voters between the two wards...

27 minutes ago, Ran said:

He uses self-tanner. That said, yes, it's definitely not sunscreen, that's genuinely his natural skin tone, he just doesn't apply the tanner there and so he looks like ... I don't know what. What he looks like.

The tonal discrepancy, puffiness and bloodshot eyes certainly create a unique look. And when combined with an intentionally sloppy suit presentation.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/donald-trump-coronavirus-memos-warning-peter-navarro

The memos, first reported by the New York Times and Axios, were written by Navarro on 29 January and 23 February. The first memo, composed on the day Trump set up a White House coronavirus taskforce, gave a worst-case scenario of the virus killing more than half a million Americans.

Does it even matter at this point?

1 hour ago, Ran said:

That said, yes, it's definitely not sunscreen, that's genuinely his natural skin tone, he just doesn't apply the tanner there and so he looks like ... I don't know what. What he looks like.

Whenever I think about the contrast between his eyelids and the rest of his face it reminds me of this:

30 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Does it even matter at this point?

Probably not.  I do find it funny-ironic that it was Navarro - Trump getting screwed by his own nativists.

Archived