US Politics: coughing for peace is like dying for the economy

Triple crown please.

Anyway, had played with that thread title for about a week, but then somebody else opened the last US politics thread.  Admittedly, I was a bit worried, that it might be a bit too dark.

But don't worry, I've got another equally dark one in reserve.

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sorry if this was already posted - was busy for a whole day! - but it's pretty impressive to see how weak Trump's rally effect bump is, comparatively. 

Yeah, people's approval of Trump is REALLY decided, one way or another. He could shoot someone on times square or he could give everyone a million dollars and people would pretty much hate him about the same 5% difference. 

CNN is reporting that Quest Diagnostics at just one lab has a testing backlog of 160,000 samples.

There is no way we are getting out ahead of this. Whatever is going to happen is probably baked in at this point. Today, Oklahoma announced 154 new cases, an increase of 27%, but.only announced an additional 39 negative test results. The state appears to be funneling most testing through private and university labs, as the state health department is processing less than 200 tests a day, in a state with 4 million people. We are so fucked.

@Varysblackfyre321

Think about what? That Biden is a better candidate because he was able to win field that's much more coddled?  

This seems to imply that the mere fact Biden won the nomination, that one should think he's the better candidate. It doesn't.  

No. It makes you think about what a terrible candidate Bernie is to lose to a weak candidate.

With regards to Hillary who lost largely because of a lack enthusiasm to vote for her, despite running against her extremely unpopular opposition.

Do we need to relitigate the myriad reasons for anti-Hillary sentiment? Misogyny. Decades of right-wing hatchet jobs. Lack of charisma. BUTTERMAILS. 

Relying on mere hatred/dislike of Trump to win the day doesn’t seem to be an effective tactic.

Again, comparing two different times with completely different context. In 2016, Trump, to many, was a relative unknown where people would project their views onto him. Despite his complete lack of morality, ethics, intelligence, et cetera.

@Week

I get you're clearly in love with Biden, but he's supposed to be the leader. Bernie Bros aren't the ones noticing he is absent (except in areas he is putting out commercials? Which should be everywhere?)--he is absent because he can't talk about this crisis in a meaningful way--in fact, he is such a liability at just things like "speaking" that his advisers have directed him to not talk at all. I mean, it's clear he's avoiding talking because when he talks, it's a gaffe or worse.

He's broke, and oh, some nasty accusations about him sexually assaulting a woman are surfacing, so why would he come out and address that, right? No good leader would come out and try to address this, right? Biden is absent. He is hardly in any of the news feeds, he apparently plays commercials...in specific places, and what? The opposition has certainly noticed his disappearing act, and I have little doubt they're chomping at the bit for when he has to come out and actually talk about why he is worth a damned in this Presidential race.

You guys have hitched your wagon to a loser. I'll vote for your loser, but I won't pretend he is good...at all. He's a rapist, a scumbag, and Dems are falling over themselves to divert attention. But if I have to vote for one rapist scumbag over another, I'll choose the nearly 80 year old one who probably will die soon! :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

@Week

I get you're clearly in love with Biden

I stopped reading after this. I've been clear that Bernie (or ANYONE legitimate) have been my preference to Biden. Thanks for reading.

I wish that Bernie wasn't such a poor communicator, organizer, and coalition-builder. His losses this cycle have exposed his weaknesses. I agree with him, I support his policies, but man he and his campaign fucking let all of us down.

What the fuck, Simon? Week was pretty clear in his feelings about Biden. Are you just so lost in your own resentment that you're not even going to try to argue in good faith with people who actually fucking agree with you about 90% of shit?

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

CNN is reporting that Quest Diagnostics at just one lab has a testing backlog of 160,000 samples.

There is no way we are getting out ahead of this. Whatever is going to happen is probably baked in at this point. Today, Oklahoma announced 154 new cases, an increase of 27%, but.only announced an additional 39 negative test results. The state appears to be funneling most testing through private and university labs, as the state health department is processing less than 200 tests a day, in a state with 4 million people. We are so fucked.

First you gave us The Tiger King, and now this?

You're monsters, and your Sooners deserve to always lose in the first round of the college football playoffs. 

46 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

except in areas he is putting out commercials? Which should be everywhere?

When in the hell would someone running for president be advertising everywhere?  That'd be insanely stupid, and we just literally had the clearest example of the severe limitations on virtually unlimited and ubiquitous spending on advertising.

26 minutes ago, Week said:

I stopped reading after this. I've been clear that Bernie (or ANYONE legitimate) have been my preference to Biden. Thanks for reading.

I wish that Bernie wasn't such a poor communicator, organizer, and coalition-builder. His losses this cycle have exposed his weaknesses. I agree with him, I support his policies, but man he and his campaign fucking let all of us down.

Bernie isn't a bad communicator. He's quite good at it actually. He also a decent organizer. But it's the last one, coalition building, that he's terrible at. His near absolutism costs him so much, and that's why I thought Warren would ultimately overtake that lane in the primary. 

And it's a damn shame she failed.

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Bernie isn't a bad communicator. He's quite good at it actually. He also a decent organizer. But it's the last one, coalition building, that he's terrible at. His near absolutism costs him so much, and that's why I thought Warren would ultimately overtake that lane in the primary. 

And it's a damn shame she failed.

Yeah if there was ever proof that the actual strength of the candidate wasn't actually all that important it was Warren who blew everybody else out of the water but still lost.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

What the fuck, Simon? Week was pretty clear in his feelings about Biden. Are you just so lost in your own resentment that you're not even going to try to argue in good faith with people who actually fucking agree with you about 90% of shit?

I've heard people use the qualifier "I'm for Bernie...BUT..." one time too many, you know? My point about Biden was fair, but Week said Biden was very much around. I'm disagreeing with anyone who says Biden sure is showing his stuff right now.

Edit: To be clear, anyone going to such lengths to argue that Biden is actually around, in the public eye, can only be a Biden supporter. That's bordering the delusion that Trump is making America great again. If someone says MAGA, they can tell me they're "actually for Bernie," and I won't believe them for a second. Same goes for people defending the ridiculous nonsense around Biden.

51 minutes ago, DMC said:

When in the hell would someone running for president be advertising everywhere?  That'd be insanely stupid, and we just literally had the clearest example of the severe limitations on virtually unlimited and ubiquitous spending on advertising.

Don't jump in the middle of the argument if you don't want to follow the what's been said. The point about commercials is PRECISELY your point (so, again, pay attention Mr. Professor)--that saying Biden does have a presence right now, and then counting his advertisements as evidence that he is talking to the public, is no evidence at all. Thanks, have a good day. 

3 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Don't jump in the middle of the argument if you don't want to follow the what's been said. The point about commercials is PRECISELY your point (so, again, pay attention Mr. Professor)--that saying Biden does have a presence right now, and then counting his advertisements as evidence is no evidence at all. Thanks, have a good day. 

Uh, Week said in the prior thread:

Maybe you aren't in an area getting his commercials? He is not completely absent as those with their head in Bernie-land may suggest: https://joebiden.com/Heres-The-Deal/ https://twitter.com/joebiden 

Then you - specifically to that post:

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

Bernie Bros aren't the ones noticing he is absent (except in areas he is putting out commercials? Which should be everywhere?)

So..what's your point about commercials then exactly?  Because it still sounds like you're saying they should be everywhere Mr. English Professor.  If you don't want people to misinterpret your arguments, maybe try making them more clear.  Have a good day as well.

It should be noted that Biden's camp along with third party actors are distributing some savage ads about Trump's reaction and handling of the crisis. I've never seen attack ads that write themselves this easily. 

Archived