Master of War

CassDarry

In the TV series Kevan Lannister and GreyWorm are appointed Master of War but the job and title haven’t been mentioned in the books.

I would like to know what you think why they haven’t got one in the books(I don’t believe GRRM never thought of it)

What their responsibilities and jobs be in their role 

and just for fun, also in the TV series Joffrey and Cersei discussed and dismissed a standing Royal Army. In my opinion would be good for the Iron Throne to have its own army and give a Master of War something to do 

Please remember this is the book forum, which has two rules. One is that you never talk about the show, and the second is that even if you do talk about it, you NEVER suggest it contains any good ideas ....

However, to engage with your question, I think the MoW title is superfluous, as traditionally one of the roles of the Hand was to 'lead the king's armies', and the various Wardens would also have a role to play in their regions. There are also very many reasons why standing armies are a bad idea in such a setting, such as (a) paying them, (b) controlling them,  (c) trusting them and (d) keeping them occupied. Mediaeval  (and even classical) history is full of examples of standing armies going wrong. It's just not appropriate for this type of society.

Well they don't have a Master of War in the books because despite the time period the story is set in wars are actually a rare event. And when they do happen they'd generally be overseen by the King, the Hand of the King, or the four Wardens. 

As mentioned a standing army is expensive and also is likely to see push-back from the nobles as it's a counter to their power. But I have thought that expanding the number of the Goldcloaks slowly to be both the city watch and a more militaristic arm of the king would probably be a good idea. 

Archived