What's your favorite speech?

Alyn Oakenfist

1 minute ago, frenin said:

he is unable to accept that he was taken the dam and fully knowing that he was invading a territory that wasn't his and, this is the mos  infuriating part, he could ever beat Rohanne Webber, the man went and planned to throw his folk lives  away for no better reason than pride.

Honestly I always thought he was suicidal, and wanted to go out in a blaze of glory. The man is clearly in deep depression, and given how shitty a condition it is I can't really blame him.

3 minutes ago, frenin said:

The man is a sexist, racist and entitled asshole

So basically your garden variety Westerosi noble. Like which one of them doesn't fit into these terms (at least by modern standards). By Westerosi standards he;s neither of those 3. Like I said he went balls deep into the game, but unlike most other people he can at least see the game and it's many problems.

1 minute ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So basically your garden variety Westerosi noble. Like which one of them doesn't fit into these terms (at least by modern standards). By Westerosi standards he;s neither of those 3. Like I said he went balls deep into the game, but unlike most other people he can at least see the game and it's many problems.

I certainly dislike most of the nobles.  

3 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Honestly I always thought he was suicidal, and wanted to go out in a blaze of glory. The man is clearly in deep depression, and given how shitty a condition it is I can't really blame him.

Then he should've demand a trial by combat and killed himself against Longinch, him dragging his folk into his ow idiocy is absurd and despicable. Ofc I can blame him, he lost the dam, he knew the Webbers were at good graces  with the Rowans and Targs, he attacked the dam  regardless, he refused to deliver the piece of shit of a knight who caused the mess (served him right because said knight later robbed him) and then he was ready to drag his people into another lost cause that was treason regardless. A piece of shit. And not a likable one.

So many to choose from.

Eddard's talk to Arya.  "We're in a dangerous place" and "the lone wolf dies, the pack survives".

Varys's riddle.  "Who does the sellsword obey", and his answer, "power resides where men believe it resides".

Wylla Manderly's defense of the Starks.

Tyrion's description of Cersei to Aegon.  "She will bind the wounds ... with salt".

7 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

I still hope we might get a broken women speech as well or an equivalent of that to show how war affects women

Catelyn VI, ACoK

"Fighting is better than this waiting," Brienne said. "You don't feel so helpless when you fight. You have a sword and a horse, sometimes an axe. When you're armored it's hard for anyone to hurt you."

"Knights die in battle," Catelyn reminded her.

Brienne looked at her with those blue and beautiful eyes. "As ladies die in childbed. No one sings songs about them."

"Children are a battle of a different sort." Catelyn started across the yard. "A battle without banners or warhorns, but no less fierce. Carrying a child, bringing it into the world . . . your mother will have told you of the pain . . ."

"I never knew my mother," Brienne said. "My father had ladies . . . a different lady every year, but . . ."

"Those were no ladies," Catelyn said. "As hard as birth can be, Brienne, what comes after is even harder. At times I feel as though I am being torn apart. Would that there were five of me, one for each child, so I might keep them all safe."

"And who would keep you safe, my lady?"

Her smile was wan and tired. "Why, the men of my House. Or so my lady mother taught me. My lord father, my brother, my uncle, my husband, they will keep me safe . . .

On 4/2/2020 at 12:26 PM, kissdbyfire said:

I love Septon Meribald, and his speech is so beautiful and poignant... 

But there are also harsher ones that are a different kind of beautiful :lol:

ADwD, The King’s Prize

“Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned’s little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue.”

ADwD, Davos IV

“Soon I must return to the feast to toast my friends of Frey,” Manderly continued. “They watch me, ser. Day and night their eyes are on me, noses sniffing for some whiff of treachery. You saw them, the arrogant Ser Jared and his nephew Rhaegar, that smirking worm who wears a dragon’s name. Behind them both stands Symond, clinking coins. That one has bought and paid for several of my servants and two of my knights. One of his wife’s handmaids has found her way into the bed of my own fool. If Stannis wonders that my letters say so little, it is because I dare not even trust my maester. Theomore is all head and no heart. You heard him in my hall. Maesters are supposed to put aside old loyalties when they don their chains, but I cannot forget that Theomore was born a Lannister of Lannisport and claims some distant kinship to the Lannisters of Casterly Rock. Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me.” The fat man’s fingers coiled into a fist, and all his chins trembled. “My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter … but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.”

Yes! I was gonna post Manderly's speech. It is my fave. 

Tyrion's confession: 

“Where to begin? I am a vile little man, I confess it. My crimes and sins are beyond counting, my lords and ladies.
         I have lain with whores, not once but hundreds of times. I have wished my own lord father dead, and my sister, our gracious queen, as well.” Behind him, someone chuckled. “I have not always treated my servants with kindness. I have gambled. I have even cheated, I blush to admit.
         I have said many cruel and malicious things about the noble lords and ladies of thecourt.” That drew outright laughter. “Once I—”

“Silence!” Lysa Arryn’s pale round face had turned a burning pink. “What do you imagine you are doing, dwarf?”

Tyrion cocked his head to one side. “Why, confessing my crimes, my lady.”

Catelyn Stark took a step forward. “You are accused of sending a hired knife to slay my son Bran in his bed, and of conspiring to murder Lord Jon Arryn, the Hand of the King.”

Tyrion gave a helpless shrug. “Those crimes I cannot confess, I fear. I know nothing of any murders.”

Archived