R.I.P. Thread: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

Mr. Chatywin et al.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I think the obvious, most simple solution is just to make Shuri BP. 

Tough call there. It's not a bad idea, but perhaps the character should be retired given the cultural significance. 

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Tough call there. It's not a bad idea, but perhaps the character should be retired given the cultural significance. 

I don't think retiring the character honors its cultural significance.  Or Boseman for that matter.

18 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I was thinking that black panther 2 was going to be super emotional.  But it hasn't even filmed yet:(.  RIP Chadwick.

I believe he did record his part for an episode of the ...What if? animated show where T'Challa becomes Star Lord

I have a not totally complete memory as a kid of someone being given 2nd base as a momento after a steal in the middle of a Mets game we went to at Shea.  For some reason my sister was a Mets fan.  As I remember it, it was Lou Brock, I was 6 summer of 79.  Got to ask my dad if he remembers that game more clearly.  Damn i used to love baseball.  RIP.

The movie Draft Day was playing on the weekend, in anticipation of the start of the NFL season I guess. I was stunned to see one of my favorite characters in the movie was played by Chadwick Boseman. When I first saw it years ago he wasn't on my radar at all. (He plays one of the college football players GM Kevin Costner is considering drafting).

It's one of my favorite sports movies. I recorded it and watched it three times before finally deleting it. Now it will always come with a tinge of sadness.

On 9/9/2020 at 1:40 PM, Fragile Bird said:

The movie Draft Day was playing on the weekend, in anticipation of the start of the NFL season I guess. I was stunned to see one of my favorite characters in the movie was played by Chadwick Boseman. When I first saw it years ago he wasn't on my radar at all. (He plays one of the college football players GM Kevin Costner is considering drafting).

It's one of my favorite sports movies. I recorded it and watched it three times before finally deleting it. Now it will always come with a tinge of sadness.

I watched this too! No idea why because it's pretty preposterous but damn it I still like it, and I knew I recognized Bowman but couldn't place his name.

Well, Cersei finally got her wish, Lady Olena has passed

• 1 month later...

A baseball legend, Bob Gibson, passed about two weeks ago.  He was the greatest and toughest pitcher ever.  Celebrity deaths usually don't affect me, but this one hurt me very deeply.  I was never great at sports, but his work ethic has had a large influence on my life.

Stage magician and famous skeptic James Randi has passed away at the age of 92. Famous for his $1,000,000 challenge to prove psychic powers, no one ever got past the most basic tests, and most claimed psychics avoided him like the plague. He was also sued by Uri Geller at one point, I believe, as Randi was particularly merciless with him since he was the most famous "psychic" of the era.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Stage magician and famous skeptic James Randi has passed away at the age of 92. Famous for his $1,000,000 challenge to prove psychic powers, no one ever got past the most basic tests, and most claimed psychics avoided him like the plague. He was also sued by Uri Geller at one point, I believe, as Randi was particularly merciless with him since he was the most famous "psychic" of the era.

I know of James Randi from the documentary An Honest Liar, which I highly recommend to those who haven't seen it. It's deeper than just 'skeptic exposes various charlatans,'  though there's a lot of that and it's fun. 

I know few of you will know who she was, but I just found out that Rhonda Fleming died about two weeks ago. She was very gracious to me a few years ago when I wrote a column on the name Rhonda and was able to interview her over the phone about her name and how she felt about having babies named after her. She may not have been an Oscar winner but she was a big movie star in the 1950s.

https://mynews4.com/news/entertainment/rhonda-fleming-film-star-of-40s-and-50s-dies-at-97-10-17-2020

Archived