R.I.P. Thread: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Connery was generally always among the best parts of any film he was in, especially if it was a bad film. He rose above the work, even if he didn't necessarily elevate the actual film.

Alex was one of the few remaining connective tissues to my childhood in terms of nostalgia.  His spirit, earnestness, and levity was always infectious even through a television screen but his ability to maintain it during this battle was truly inspiring.  RIP.

Jeopardy wasn't his first Quiz show. While he was a CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) announcer he also did the Reach For The Top quiz show. It had a similar format to Jeopardy but featured high school students. And yes, I was briefly on it but not with Alex.

RIP Trebek.  It's amazing how many people had a connection to him and that show. My nephew said it was his best memory with his grand parents growing up. Grandpa would get home and eat dinner then they would watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy together.  I had the same experience but with my brothers. I am a fairly intelligent person and I stood no chance against them! 

Moving this from the Football thread.

According to media reports.

Diego Armando Maradonna has passed away.

Greatest footballer of his generation, if not ever. Truely unique character, who had a church like following (literally), and who will be remembered as much for his onfield heroics as for his off-field problems, stories how he cheated doping tests with baby urine and fake penis to avoid a ban over his cocaine (ab-)use. Hand of God, and his goal of the century are part of his legacy.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Moving this from the Football thread.

According to media reports.

Diego Armando Maradonna has passed away.

Greatest footballer of his generation, if not ever. Truely unique character, who had a church like following (literally), and who will be remembered as much for his onfield heroics as for his off-field problems, stories how he cheated doping tests with baby urine and fake penis to avoid a ban over his cocaine (ab-)use. Hand of God, and his goal of the century are part of his legacy.

Damn. A true legend, possibly the greatest player to ever play the game. RIP.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Chuck Yeager, the first pilot to break the sound barrier, has passed at 97. RIP

A hero of the Space Age. And a mad bastard, but that went hand-in-hand in those early, boundary-pushing days. 

Archived