R.I.P. Thread: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

Mr. Chatywin et al.

RIP Norton Juster, author of The Phantom Tollboth. Though I never read the book, the animated film (book-ended by live action bits) was one I regularly watched as a child. It was over-busy in some ways, but had so many memorable moments and ideas in it. It was co-directed by Chuck Jones, and features voice work classic talents like Mel Blanc, Daws Butler, Hans Conried, June Foray, and more.

A bit late and maybe a bit obscure for these boards: RIP Fausto Gresini.

2X 125cc GP motorcycle world champion. 250cc and Moto2 GP championships (as a team owner). 

Died from a lung infection 2 months after being hospitalized with Covid-19. He was 60.

https://www.espn.com/racing/story/_/id/30950123/former-motorcycling-world-champion-fausto-gresini-dies-covid-19-60

Cliff Simon passed at age of 58. Apparently it was a kiteboarding accident.

Many here don't know him, but those who do, it's likely because he was best known for his role on Stargate SG-1, where he played Ba'al in a recurring role between season 5 and 10 + the movie Continuum. RIP, Mr. Simon, who played a most charismatic villain.

On 3/10/2021 at 2:53 AM, Ran said:

RIP Norton Juster, author of The Phantom Tollboth. Though I never read the book, the animated film (book-ended by live action bits) was one I regularly watched as a child. It was over-busy in some ways, but had so many memorable moments and ideas in it. It was co-directed by Chuck Jones, and features voice work classic talents like Mel Blanc, Daws Butler, Hans Conried, June Foray, and more.

Aww, I didn't realize Juster passed. To be fair, I didn't totally realize they were still alive, either...

But. The Phantom Tollbooth was one of my favorite books as a kid. It remains one of my favorite books to recommend to young readers and/or to read to them. It's a lovely story and with a strong message that is even more relevant today than it was in my youth.

RIP. I will avoid killing time.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

And it went on like this for round after round, one of the greatest performances in the annals of boxing.

RIP to Marvelous

The only round in boxing that makes rocky films look subtle. Absolutely fucking brutal.  

RIP, Marvin.

That's probably the greatest first round in boxing history.

Re: Rocky,

Gatti vs Ward, the first match up, ninth round is another classic in this vein. They're tired, they aren't the legends that Hearns and Hagler were, but the guts and determination they both showed was something else:

Rest in peace, Yasuo Ostuka, who was mentor and then colleague of Studio Ghibli founders Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. And then an actor whom I could never get too much of -- Yaphet Kotto has passed away at 81. He was such a memorable presence in everything I ever saw him in, from Aliens to Homicide: Life on the Street

Seeing news that Sabine Schmitz the Queen of the Nurburgring has died of cancer. Probably best known for her appearances on top gear overtaking supercars going around the Nurburgring in a ford transit van she was quite a good racer in her own right. 

I just found out that Gene Taylor, the Blasters piano man, apparently froze to death during the Texas power outage. The man was a national treasure and to have him die this way is just not right. I  am fucking pissed right now.

One of my favorite pictures I've ever taken is of a sign in South America. It was at the same national park where the waterfall scene from the last Indiana Jones movie was filmed. Correctly translated from Spanish to English I believe it was suppose to read "Please don't pollute the national park." Someone made an error, because it said "Please don't bluth the national park." 

RIP, Larry McMurtry. Never read any of his novels, I admit, but The Last Picture Show is one of the great films of American cinema. Sam the Lion's wistful recollection as performed by Ben Johnson is, as I understand it, loosely adapted from McMurty's novel:

Archived