R.I.P. Thread: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

Mr. Chatywin et al.

RIP, Prince Philip. A relic of a bygone era, who had his good and bad parts, as all people do. I recently saw an interview from the 80s which moved the man past the caricature he was often depicted as in media:

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not being from the US and not being too much into Rap or Hip Hop, I couldn't name one DMX song. Only knew him from that Jet Li movie. Cradle 2 Grave, it was called in the US I think.

Weirdly he was also in a Steven Seagal action movie called Exit Wounds that I loved growing up. He was one of the most famous names in entertainment in the late 90s, early 00s for sure.

2 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Weirdly he was also in a Steven Seagal action movie called Exit Wounds that I loved growing up. He was one of the most famous names in entertainment in the late 90s, early 00s for sure.

That's one with Jill Hennessy, right?

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not being from the US and not being too much into Rap or Hip Hop, I couldn't name one DMX song.

If you're even vaguely familiar with Rap, I imagine you've heard this one

DMX was one of the biggest rappers in the world when I first got into hip hop and in a way will always remain so in my mind. He was not the most eloquent rapper but more than made up for it with power and aggressiveness,  plus his first three albums are straight classics.

RIP

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not being from the US and not being too much into Rap or Hip Hop, I couldn't name one DMX song. Only knew him from that Jet Li movie. Cradle 2 Grave, it was called in the US I think.

If you've see Deadpool, probably his most well-known song is used in the movie's climax:

That song is also used in about a billion other things because it's amazing in a so bad it's good way.

4 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

DMX was one of the biggest rappers in the world when I first got into hip hop and in a way will always remain so in my mind. He was not the most eloquent rapper but more than made up for it with power and aggressiveness,  plus his first three albums are straight classics.

RIP

Learned today he was the first artist to have their first five albums go number 1. We broke every pre-game huddle playing football in HS with the chorus to the aforementioned RRA.

Clark was also one of the youngest Attorneys General ever - he was 39 when confirmed as LBJ's in 1967.  His lifetime of commitment to civil liberties, plus legal counsel to very notable defendants, rarely received much mainstream attention.  Ironically, he was just recently portrayed by Michael Keaton in Aaron Sorkin's The Trial of the Chicago 7.

I've decided I'm going to watch the Chicago 7 trial right now.

Another interesting bit about Ramsey, his dad was a Supreme Court Justice.

Eta: Omg, what a great movie it was too!

Funny aside I've heard Ramsey speak at rallies, but also from that movie Alan Ginsberg (the beat poet) spoke at my college when I was a Freshman.

17 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

To those that were active in the anti-war protests during the Bush years you may remember former Attorney General Ramsey Clark.

Clark passed recently .

The Bush years? What about the Johnson /Nixon years? Not all of us are summer children. That name is a blast from the past. And yes I watched the Chicago Seven movie but I also followed the trial in the news as it was happening and read Abby Hoffman's 'Steal This Book'.

Archived