R.I.P. Thread: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Heartbreaking news.  First it was DMX and now Shock G.  Two names at the center of the rap phase that I went through during high school and college.  Humpty Dance and Doowutchyalike were two of my favorites back then. 

I'm not sure what to say except pour out a little liquor.

On 5/9/2021 at 4:18 AM, mormont said:

I must be older than "a certain age." As a name expert, I did remember Tawny Kitaen as one of the two famous women named Tawny (the other being Tawny Godin Little, who was Miss America of 1976 and later a local newscaster in Los Angeles), but I have absolutely no memory of Whitesnake.  

16 hours ago, Ormond said:

I must be older than "a certain age." As a name expert, I did remember Tawny Kitaen as one of the two famous women named Tawny (the other being Tawny Godin Little, who was Miss America of 1976 and later a local newscaster in Los Angeles), but I have absolutely no memory of Whitesnake.  

I sure as hell remember her in the videos. Whitesnake sold a lot records, I believe north of 100,000,000.

Jim Klobuchar passed away today.

His story belongs here more than in the U.S. politics thread. He was a writer, journalist, story teller, adventure seeker and all in all a fun but complicated man. I had the privilege of driving him all around the state of Minnesota during Senator Klobuchar's first reelection campaign. Oh the stories the old man would tell, from climbing mountains half way around the world to drunken bar brawls in the middle of nowhere Northern Minnesota. He certainly left an impression on me and will be sorely missed.

Just read that Charles Grodin has passed away, at the age of 86. Just saw him a couple of weeks back when he was a young actor in Rosemary's Baby, but I think I probably first saw him when I was a child watching The Great Muppet Caper. He had a unique presence as a comedic actor. One of the last things he did was a running bit on Louis:

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Just read that Charles Grodin has passed away, at the age of 86. Just saw him a couple of weeks back when he was a young actor in Rosemary's Baby, but I think I probably first saw him when I was a child watching The Great Muppet Caper. He had a unique presence as a comedic actor. One of the last things he did was a running bit on Louis:

Grodin was absolutely classic on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson playing the disaffected curmudgeon always "cynical" towards Carson's alleged interest in his guests.

A good friend told me tonight that Norman Lloyd died on May 10, which I somehow missed. I wrote a column on the name Norman in honor of his 106th birthday last November:

https://omaha.com/entertainment/evans-psycho-killer-led-to-a-major-drop-in-popularity-for-norman/article_e6ab630c-310e-5b90-8571-813d2ead6b34.html

Another column about Lloyd, who certainly had one of the most amazing and long lives of any Hollywood actor:

https://deadline.com/2021/05/norman-lloyd-dead-st-elsewhere-actor-1234754280/

• 3 weeks later...

The great Ned Beatty has passed away. His first film role was Deliverance, which was ... quite the way to start a film career. He was nominated for an Academy Award for his part in Network, and of course he was the bumbling Otis in Superman. Television was mostly guest appearance and background work, but he did do three years on Homicide: Life on the Street. He seems to have retired from performing after 2013, looking at his credits.

Here's the performance from Network:

RIP Mike Gravel.  One of the few voices in US politics that actually challenged the MIC.   Not sure if this is the place to mention political deaths but if it's not allowed I will appeal on the grounds that Zappa said politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex.  

Archived