R.I.P. Thread: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

Mr. Chatywin et al.

15 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Melvin Van Peebles

I think I have been a fan of Melvin since the late 70s. He did have a strong vision in his movies and books. I read an excerpt from one of his novels in an old Playboy magazine and I was hooked from then on. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know almost no one else here is old enough to remember him, but I just found out that Tommy Kirk died on September 28.

I certainly remember seeing some of the Disney films he was in as a child, and it was really important to me as a gay man to have had him publically come out as the same way back in 1973, being one of the first Hollywood celebrities to do so. I am very sorry that drug abuse and heterosexism derailed his career, and I know there are many people my age who remember him fondly and are saddened by his death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Kirk#Post-acting_career

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/30/1041900256/tommy-kirk-disney-old-yeller-dies

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so saddened for everyone involved in this tragic movie set accident where Alec Baldwin's prop gun ended up killing the Cinematographer and injuring his Director.

Condolences to her family, best wishes for the Director to recover and so heartbreaking for Alec who I'm sure is absolutely traumatized over the accident.

Quite sad.

Yes, that accident on the Rust set is tragic. Shades of what happened to Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow

And in more sad news, Peter Scolari has passed away at 66, after a two year battle with cancer. Huge list of credits, but perhaps most famous for Bosom Buddies and Newhart. And more recently, he played Lena Dunham's father on Girls.

14 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, I'm curious to read more about what exactly happened there, but it seems like with what can be done in post-production these days actually using blanks and real guns is a terrible idea. 

The latest I heard via an industry site is that the armorer in charge of the gun allegedly took it off set between takes to fire some live rounds from it for some reason (unclear if they just wanted to fire a few off for fun or if it was something for the production), then brought it back but forgot to clear it completely, leaving a live round in the chamber. If so, absolutely gross negligence on their part.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I'm so saddened for everyone involved in this tragic movie set accident where Alec Baldwin's prop gun ended up killing the Cinematographer and injuring his Director.

Condolences to her family, best wishes for the Director to recover and so heartbreaking for Alec who I'm sure is absolutely traumatized over the accident.

Quite sad.

Her name was Halyna Hutchins.

I haven't seen any of her work, but she was apparently considered quite an up and coming talent in a field mostly dominated by men.

From the early reports, it sounds like it was a non-union crew handling props, and the rumors flying around are that they were doing an absolutely terrible job. Supposedly a lot of union people actually walked off the job the morning before the accident in protest.

It is pretty gross how this on set death is being politicized and all the conspiracy theories floating around. If I have to see one more asshole talk about how failure to charge Baldwin with murder or manslaughter will be proof of “liberal” bias or complaints about how the same people who defend Baldwin do not do the same for murderous cops I will probably, in the parlance of our times, become the Joker. I saw one talking head chode tweet that he bets “SNL won’t touch this”, and, yeah, you would hope they won’t try to find the humor in an accidental slaying.

• 2 weeks later...

Rapper Travis Scott's musicfest Astroworld has ended with the tragic loss of 8 musical souls and scores of concert goers injured.

Travis stopped the performance multiple times when he could make out ambulances and crowd disturbances. Eventually the show had to be stopped and the second day of the festival was obviously cancelled once the magnitude of the tragedy was realized.

Sad day for all as these people came to revel and were reduced to wails and agony.

Travis Scott says he's 'absolutely devastated' by Astroworld Festival incident

https://www.cnn.com/webview/us/live-news/astroworld-houston-deaths-travis-scott/h_33f70fc1cfa83695aec68b18854a1eee

On 11/6/2021 at 1:33 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Rapper Travis Scott's musicfest Astroworld has ended with the tragic loss of 8 musical souls and scores of concert goers injured.

Travis stopped the performance multiple times when he could make out ambulances and crowd disturbances. Eventually the show had to be stopped and the second day of the festival was obviously cancelled once the magnitude of the tragedy was realized.

Sad day for all as these people came to revel and were reduced to wails and agony.

Travis Scott says he's 'absolutely devastated' by Astroworld Festival incident

https://www.cnn.com/webview/us/live-news/astroworld-houston-deaths-travis-scott/h_33f70fc1cfa83695aec68b18854a1eee

Horrible story. We had a similar incident here in Cincinnati at a Who concert back in the 70’s (11 deaths in that one). 

Well, shit.

Dean Stockwell, Quantum Leap and Blue Velvet actor, dies aged 85

Dean Stockwell, the former child star who became a key figure in the Hollywood counter-culture and enjoyed late success in popular TV shows, has died aged 85. According to Deadline, his family said he died at home “of natural causes”.

Quantum Leap was my favorite show as a teen and still is today.

The chemistry between Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell was a big part why. 

Aside from books signed by authors, Scott Bakula's and Dean Stockwell's autographs on a photo of them together are the only celebrity autographs I have.

In the episode of Star Trek: Enterprise where Dean Stockwell guest starred, when he picked up the hand link I squeed...

RIP 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived