R.I.P. Thread: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

Mr. Chatywin et al.

On 5/16/2020 at 3:14 PM, Martini Sigil said:

Fred Willard, 86.... I remember staying up to watch Fernwood 2 Night

The good old days when reality and satire didn't mix. 

• 4 weeks later...

This hit me really hard. I know he was 88, and ready to go, but he was a such a big part of my childhood through playing Frodo in the BBC Radio Lord of the Rings and Pod in The Borrowers. Lovely photos here of Holm recording the series with Michael Hordern and John Le Mesurier. Bill Nighy is one of the few principle actors from the production left, I think. 

Later I remember him as Bilbo, of course, and as the doctor in The Madness of King George opposite Nigel Hawthorne. Never saw him live on stage, which I regret. 

He had a remarkable physical presence, I think - the short, solid frame, that voice and those piercing eyes. 

You can hear a clip from the last minutes of the BBC drama here Stephen Oliver composed the music. 

Oh no, I had just re-watched the absolutely fantastic Reunited Apart episode of the LotR cast last night! I'm sure all of them would have loved him to drop by on the Zoom, but it was wonderful to see them all react with love when Holm's message to them was read.

Anyone who missed it, by the way, if youre a fan at all of the movies, I can't recommend 50 minutes enough. It just keeps getting better.

Reiner was one of the great comedy legends of Hollywood. He and Mel Brooks were inseparable, too -- if anyone has Netflix, there's an episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee where Seinfeld visits the both of them which is quite lovely.

What a life Reiner had. Living through the Great Depression, serving during WWII, and then an entertainment career that spanned eight(!!) decades; from military shows in the '40s through TV acting and voice work in the '10s. And this is the last known photo of him, from a few days ago:

Archived