R.I.P. Thread: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

Mr. Chatywin et al.

RIP Tor Eckhoff, better known to fans by his Youtube handle of Apetor. His videos were generally weird and off-kilter, a kind of Norwegian Mr. Bean who would do things like celebrate his birthday with an outdoor bath in ice cold water while making strange noises as he took swigs of vodka, or slightly-less-odd things like videos about trekking across ice in the winter (and then inevitably taking a swim in freezing cold lakes) or his skating on thin ice series.

His last video was posted on the 22nd, marking his 57th birthday. Yesterday, Eckhoff went out on the ice and either fell through or deliberately went in only to be unable to pull himself out as he had done many times before. Norwegian police indicated there were signs he had intended to film a video.

On 11/26/2021 at 4:17 PM, DMC said:

Just saw Stephen Sondheim dead at 91.

And just before the new Spielberg film version of West Side Story is to be released. I hope Sondheim got to see that in a preview before he died. 

Anthony Sher has died. I'd heard earlier that his husband Greg Doran was taking leave from his job as Artistic Director at the RSC to care for him, so it's not completely out of the blue. He was 72 - a good age to earlier generations, but in the 21st century we can be forgiven for hoping that he could have lived and thrived for another decade or more.  I saw Sher play Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman, and Falstaff in the Henry IV plays, and he was excellent in both.

I was particularly impressed by his Falstaff; at the point he took on the role, pop culture was starting on its downward trajectory into the swamps of a sort of neo-Dickensian sentimentality (see, for example, Star Trek Discovery and its endless hugging and people speaking in weird breathy voices). In the most recent TV version of the plays, Simon Russell Beale mined every line he could for sogginess, as if he wanted Falstaff to be a sort of Disney Father Christmas. I recall Sher retaining much more of the character's callousness and riotousness, and paradoxically giving the more disciplined performance. 

I wish I'd seen him in more. It's been a sad sort of pleasure looking through the galleries in The Guardian and the RSC and watching him change from role to role. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Lina Wertmüller, the first woman film director nominated for an Academy Award, has died:

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/09/521964618/lina-wertm-ller-first-woman-nominated-for-oscar-in-directing-has-died

It's such a joke that in over 90 years only seven women have ever received the nomination, and that number is goosed from two being nominated last year. 

There was a time when I would eagerly await an upcoming Anne Rice book release and purchase pretty much any book with her name on it. I was partial to the Vampire Chronicles and the Mayfair Witches, naturally, but enjoyed others as well. I remember my first apartment in which I lived alone I had no furniture and no TV or anything really.  So all I did was sit on the floor and read...a habit that lasted decades...and that is where I read Interview with a Vampire. I likely read the others there or partially there but Interview stands out as a memory of that time.  Learning of her death is more affecting than I would have thought.

RIP Anne Rice.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived