Daenerys is Azor Ahai Reborn

On 7/26/2020 at 11:35 AM, BlackLightning said:

So you think she faked her death?

Why do you think she did it? And what does it have to do with Ned Stark or Jon Snow?

I suppose we'll find out something eventually. If we don't find out something through Areo or Bran, then it'd be Howland Reed, Ned Dayne or Ashara herself.

I don't know what happened. Maybe she really died. But if it's a lie and she's alive . . the method of suicide chosen is sound.  No need to explain what happened to the body.  Hanging herself will present problems. Drowning in the ocean is easier.

On 7/13/2020 at 4:09 PM, wiwerse said:

Just a few insights from me.

towns and cities are built for differing purposes, learning, housing, fabrication, farming, etc. etc. i propose that asshai was built, as a city/town for magic, and lost arts, as a haven to the condemned, similar to how braavos was a haven for the escaped slaves.

the discussion on dawn and other swords are interesting and remind me of an lder thread, of how ice became dawn, 

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/131027-how-ice-became-dawn/#comments

the discussion on paralells are also interesting, but as the world is curved, all lines meet sooner or later, at two different points in fact, even if they may seem as parallels, this is also shown in quotes such as "Nothing burns like the cold", from AGOT prologue

A city as large as Asshai built as a campus for magic!  The population in Essos must have been very large to support that.  Something happened to force the numbers down. 

On 7/26/2020 at 11:36 AM, BlackLightning said:

Yeah I realize that. But I don't think that GRRM's core message or that he believes it's a good thing....

As violent as his world, ours is arguably more destructive to the planet and other forms of life.  Perhaps that should be his message, human population gone too large is the bigger sin.  But maybe the story is not that deep. 

On 8/4/2020 at 12:21 AM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

As violent as his world, ours is arguably more destructive to the planet and other forms of life.  Perhaps that should be his message, human population gone too large is the bigger sin.  But maybe the story is not that deep. 

It has nothing to do with the fact that there are too many humans. The number of human beings living on Earth is not the issue. The issue is our way of life. That's what is destroying the planet.

I wouldn't at all be surprised that is the M.O. of the Others and that they are a force for depopulation, preservation and enslavement. But I don't think GRRM is driving home the message that too many humans is bad and that it is good to have entities or phenomena that keeps the human population in check. If that was the case, why has he gone out of his way to note how the crazy weather conditions of Planetos are unnatural and how it used to not be so crazy.

On 8/1/2020 at 3:56 AM, Mordred said:

A city as large as Asshai built as a campus for magic!  The population in Essos must have been very large to support that.  Something happened to force the numbers down. 

indeed it must, however even then it makes a certain amount of sense, I heard somewhere of an estimate of population, placing the free cities, in the million, individually, but don't quote me on that. however, as for the depopulation of Asshai, there are several major factors, There are no children in Asshai, whether they are forbidden and extensive preconception measures are taken, children die like livestock, are forbidden to come to Asshai, and for some reason people are infertile in Asshai, We have the ghostgrass which allows nothing else to grow, we have the unexplained deaths of all livestock and animals, bar humans and malformed fish which only shadowbinders and fools eat, we have the fact that it seems a rather unwelcoming atmosphere in which few people would voluntarily move, and that it seems weird to call it By the shadow. whether that means that it's actually under shadow, or merely metaphorically. as for the extensive empty housing, it might be that each new resident must build their own residence, that the buildings go in inheritance, but most don't have heirs, of course it might be that once the population was much higher and then got lowered, over time or abruptly.

Of course, Asshai might have something to do with the five forts, whether friendly, neutrally or hostile. Asshai has interested me since I first heard about it, 

Edited by wiwerse

On 7/31/2020 at 9:56 PM, Mordred said:

A city as large as Asshai built as a campus for magic! 

I've never thought about it like that before....but now that you bring it up it makes so much more sense.

The city of Asshai is actually a campus for magic? A Hogwarts, for lack of a better term?

Thank you!

The population in Essos must have been very large to support that.  Something happened to force the numbers down.

The Long Night? Or perhaps the Century of Blood? Maybe the Asshai'i relied on the Valyrians for protection/sustenance (especially since nothing can grow in Asshai and all livestock that can be used for food don't last very long)

When Valyria fell, Asshai was hollowed out.

6 hours ago, wiwerse said:

indeed it must, however even then it makes a certain amount of sense, I heard somewhere of an estimate of population, placing the free cities, in the million, individually, but don't quote me on that. however, as for the depopulation of Asshai, there are several major factors, There are no children in Asshai, whether they are forbidden and extensive preconception measures are taken, children die like livestock, are forbidden to come to Asshai, and for some reason people are infertile in Asshai, We have the ghostgrass which allows nothing else to grow, we have the unexplained deaths of all livestock and animals, bar humans and malformed fish which only shadowbinders and fools eat, we have the fact that it seems a rather unwelcoming atmosphere in which few people would voluntarily move, and that it seems weird to call it By the shadow. whether that means that it's actually under shadow, or merely metaphorically. as for the extensive empty housing, it might be that each new resident must build their own residence, that the buildings go in inheritance, but most don't have heirs, of course it might be that once the population was much higher and then got lowered, over time or abruptly.

Of course, Asshai might have something to do with the five forts, whether friendly, neutrally or hostile. Asshai has interested me since I first heard about it, 

The children and animals were perhaps sacrificed?  

18 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

I've never thought about it like that before....but now that you bring it up it makes so much more sense.

The city of Asshai is actually a campus for magic? A Hogwarts, for lack of a better term?

Thank you!

The Long Night? Or perhaps the Century of Blood? Maybe the Asshai'i relied on the Valyrians for protection/sustenance (especially since nothing can grow in Asshai and all livestock that can be used for food don't last very long)

When Valyria fell, Asshai was hollowed out.

Powerful magic experiment gone wrong. Had the same effect as a nuclear war.  Messed up the environment.  I want to know too.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:56 PM, Mordred said:

The size of the 5 forts is a clue to the size of the population.  Asshai was the Ivy League of magic schools. 

On 4/13/2020 at 2:08 PM, Jeeves said:

The oily black stones are spread throughout the world.  Oldtown and the Iron Isles just to list two areas.  Those lands are not corrupt.  The stones themselves are not cursed nor tainted.  Maybe it was a common stone long ago and made for a convenient building material.  The ancients would build with available material.  I look for a simpler explanation.  Children and animals are sacrificed.  A city where nothing is forbidden will attract the worst of mankind. 

But the trees/plants don't grow anywhere near Yeen and the fact that the Greyjoy's throne is also made of oily black stone might explain why trees don't grow on the Iron Islands. Oily black rain famously fell on Hiroshima.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:56 PM, Mordred said:

I think the byproduct of magic - or the cost if you will - is nuclear holocaust and pollution of the land, air, water.

The magicians just dont realize it or make the connection. It's very Dying Earth. 

On 5/30/2020 at 11:59 PM, BlackLightning said:

Dany saw four dwarves ravaging a woman that is understood to be Westeros. How do we know that the woman is acutally a symbol for the world not Westeros and the four dwarves are not Westerosi kings fighting for power?

And am I the only one who finds it intriguing that Dany saw that they were dwarves and not regular men? Interesting. What were Dany's visions trying to tell her about dwarves...or were they trying to tell her about one dwarf in particular.

Personal theory. Not a popular one. But I think that's symbolism for Sansa being assaulted by Tyrion, Sandor, Littlefinger, and Joffrey. 

On 8/24/2020 at 3:32 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

But the trees/plants don't grow anywhere near Yeen and the fact that the Greyjoy's throne is also made of oily black stone might explain why trees don't grow on the Iron Islands. Oily black rain famously fell on Hiroshima.

If it is the result of contamination.  I would not choose nuclear.  Perhaps some magic test gone wrong.  Although it would mean it happened in more than one area. 

On 8/18/2020 at 9:24 PM, Princess Daenerys said:

The size of the 5 forts is a clue to the size of the population.  Asshai was the Ivy League of magic schools. 

Possibly the cradle of civilization.  Humanity moved out and dispersed. 

On 8/5/2020 at 5:38 AM, BlackLightning said:

It has nothing to do with the fact that there are too many humans. The number of human beings living on Earth is not the issue. The issue is our way of life. That's what is destroying the planet.

I wouldn't at all be surprised that is the M.O. of the Others and that they are a force for depopulation, preservation and enslavement. But I don't think GRRM is driving home the message that too many humans is bad and that it is good to have entities or phenomena that keeps the human population in check. If that was the case, why has he gone out of his way to note how the crazy weather conditions of Planetos are unnatural and how it used to not be so crazy.

Now what if human greed and too much messing around with the environment caused the climate imbalance.  There is a message there.  A warning to what the author sees as the existential threat to life.  The biggest threats I see are human greed and destructive emotions.  Destructive emotions are not necessarily only those one thinks of as negative, such as hate.  Love too is a very destructive emotion.  

On 8/24/2020 at 3:32 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

Yeah but the base of the Hightower is made of the same oily stone and yet we don't hear anything about how there are no trees or plants in Oldtown or the surrounding areas. In fact, we hear the opposite: there are lots of trees and plants in the area. Enough to build ships.

On 8/27/2020 at 6:48 PM, Jeeves said:

Possibly the cradle of civilization.  Humanity moved out and dispersed. 

The large lake near Vase Dothrak called Womb of the World is the Sumer in Essos.  It is another of the forgotten geographical location of the great empire of the dawn.  It is charming to think about.  Civilizations rose and developed their own gods.  Those gods of fallen cities are brought back to the Mother of Mountains where it all began.  Intelligent life did not begin and evolve in one place.